Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-27-04, 14:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/165/135 Female 5ft4
BF:
Progress: 54%
Default acne and low carb

hey all!!

i used to have perfectly clear skin, and then the docs put me on anti depressants.

my life has been chaos, so i haven't even THOUGHT of low carbing for the last two months(i know, shame on me!)...

i had perfect skin before the anti depressants...and while i was on atkins...

do you think that if i go back on atkins(now that i'm settled my start date is tomorrow, Tuesday, we just moved and i have to go get groceries today)my skin will clear up or will i have to go to the doc and talk about the anti depressants?? i'm so tired of this acne. i use really strong medicated face wash and nothing does the trick, and my thyroid levels are normal. not only do i have the last 40 lbs (i've already lost 40) to lose, i also have ACNE on top of it! i wanna crawl in a hole and never come out.

any suggestions or anyone with the same issues and atkins has helped clear things up?

thanks...i'll be checking in!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-27-04, 15:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/216/142 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

I can say when I started LCing my acne cleared up. I noticed a difference after the first week.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-27-04, 15:48
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Acne can be related to inflammation, which can be related to the inflammatory response due to insulin. Perricone wrote a number of books about this. Many people have much clearer skin after they go low carb. I'm one of them.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-27-04, 19:26
Atkins Groupie

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/250/150 Female 5'-6"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Quote:
i use really strong medicated face wash and nothing does the trick,

ease off on the strong stuff as that can aggravate things. Get a good hypogenic lotion with an sp of 15 to use during the day as your skins' probably a bit raw and dry in places. Once you start Atkins you'll notice a big difference in about a month or so. Why? Well I think it's because (1) you'll be drinking lots and lots of water (2) you'll be taking vitamin supplements that your skin and hair needs and it'll take about 6 weeks to notice that improvement (3) you'll be getting the right foods and getting some exercise as well (hopefully outdoors).

Basically you'll be working from the Inside out...the acne is probably from the enormous stress you've been through not anything hormonal like adolescence (although stress does play hell with our hormones).

And a very very CONGRADULATIONS!!! on your weight loss
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-04, 06:06

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%

yep Atkins has cleared my skin up big time. I use to have to take perscription drugs to help control it, now i dont and my skin is great.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-04, 06:54

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 211/198/135 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Atkins cleared up my skin and I quit taking my antidepressants because I was no longer depressed or moody once I was on Atkins.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-04, 07:23
~UnWritten~

Plan: My LC Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%

My skin too cleared up with Atkins.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-04, 07:38

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

I would say it was the lowcarb food that helped you to have clear skin. Many people have noticed their skin getting better eating lowcarb. If lowcarb fails, I would take a look at how much processed food you are eating and cutting out those.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-04, 08:35

Plan: Atkins-like
Stats: 215/170/170 Male 70
BF:

My complexion has gotten somewhat better since doing low carb. I don't think its the lack of carbs so much as it is the extra fat and the proper balance in the diet (as opposed to the imbalanced food pyramid version). Although acne is caused by bacteria, I think diet can affect the susceptibility of skin to these bacteria. If you have dry skin, or oily skin, either of these environments provides a nice environment for the bacteria to get in and cause problems.

Here's a link to a site that has what I think is good advice concerning several aspects of acne. Myself, I have decent results with benzoyl peroxide if its in a non-opily base cream. I also had good results with the oral antibiotic Minocin, although I didn't want to take it long term. So I switched to a retinoid gel, called adapalene. It worked wonders for me after several weeks. I'd say 95% fewer zits. It didn't clear up my daughter's acne quite so well though. No one treatment is right for everyone. Anyway, the website has all this and more. Good luck, I know what a pain cance can be. I keep waiting to grow out of it. I'm 42 now, still waiting.

http://www.skincarephysicians.com/acnenet/treatmnt.html
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-04, 09:36

In my view, acne can be treated by a lifestyle change - ie a dietary change. Dermatologists don't tell you that. They won't ever say acne is caused by the food you eat. It's like lowcarbing, at times I feel like there's a conspiracy out there against lowcarbing because if you eat a healthy diet, you won't get acne, and so how the heck will the pharmaceuticals and doctors make their money?
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-04, 09:43

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 211/198/135 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrelind
and so how the heck will the pharmaceuticals and doctors make their money?

That's the key right there, the doctor's just love to hand out the meds, don't want to bother to tell you to change your diet, "here just take these" is their motto. There is a lot of medicine that is unnecessary if a person just changes their eating habits. Unfortunatly for us, not the pharmaceuticals, it is easier to take a pill than change. (climbing down from soapbox)
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-04, 09:53

BF:

I think the idea that diet is the sole cause of acne is wrong. It is a contributing factor, maybe a major one for some people, but not the only factor. I get tired of people blaming every illness on diet. There are illnesses and conditions that have nothing to do with diet. Claiming this way of eating is the cure for all ills, and essentially utrning it into a religion, marginalizes it for the general public. This does more harm than good.

Acne is caused by bacteria in your pores. Your diet may make your skin such that it is more susceptible to these bacteria, and/or give them more food (oils), even have some effect on some peoples' immune response. That is about the extent of diet. Well, there's also the placebo effect.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-04, 10:24

Acne is not caused by bacteria. Companies promoting their products saying that their products destroy acne-causing bacteria are simply using that phrase to market and sell their product. Their product will kill the bacteria but it won't make a difference to your skin a lot of times simply because bacteria is not the underlying cause. I agree with Dr Perricone who said that acne is caused by an inflammation in the skin. One of the causes of inflammation is an insulin response. Dr Perricone has done a lot of research and found that ALL acne starts with inflammation and ends up with the zit that you see. There are studies that have been done on some groups of people that live on mostly meat & plant diet and there were NO cases of acne to be found there. Sound familar?

So before you spend a ton of money on drugs and doctor visits, I would suggest you do your own research into this first.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-04, 10:32
Registered Member

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrelind
Acne is not caused by bacteria.

I agree-I've not changed anything other than diet and have noticed a tremendous difference in my skin. It took awhile, but I rarely have problems with breakouts now.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-04, 11:45

BF:

Acne IS caused by bacteria, and the body's immune system reacts to their invasion by creating an inflammation. The inflammation does not come first in most instances. I already mentioned how diet can affect the skin and create an environment that is more hospitable to these bacteria, so I won't repeat myself. If you cured your acen by a change in your diet, wonderful. Just don't assume that everyone will have the same response.

Myself, my acne cleared up wonderfully when I took an antibiotic for a few months. But who wants to do that long term? Of course, this must PROVE that acne is ONLY about bacteria and NOTHING about diet right? No, it doesn't.

If acne is about an inflammation first, and has nothing to do with skin bacteria, why do we not develop acne over our entire body, and internally?