Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-14-06, 15:16

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%
Default "Life is short - stay away from it" -- tales from the qigong crypt by John Du Cane

http://www.dragondoor.com/qigong/news/

May 23, 2006

"Life is short - stay away from it" -- tales from the qigong crypt

Okay, I admit it. I'm addicted to the sweet slam of a black, double espresso, once or twice a day.

No doubt, when I'm eighty-five, my kidney/adrenal system is going to rear up and bite me back for all the abuse. And perhaps my liver will join in with some choice name-calling and blaming.

Meanwhile, I’ll go on living out my contradiction and go on gulping down these daily hits of espresso.

One of my favorite local coffee shops in Minnesota is Caribou.

Caribou has a great slogan: “Life is short. Stay awake for it.”

One day, while I was waiting in line for my daily fix, an overweight, overwrought and apparently rather whacked-out lady in front of me misread the slogan.

In a loud and slightly crazed and certainly bemused tone, she exclaimed:

“Life is short – stay away from it! Huh!”

No one kindly corrected her on her misreading of the slogan, and she was abandoned to shuffle off, pondering the deeper meaning of this warning from the Coffee Gods.

Once I had choked down my own chuckles and my latest double espresso, I was struck by how rich in meaning both statements are, from the perspective of my qigong training.

A lot of this has to do with the distinction between vertical and horizontal time…

In spiritual traditions, enlightenment or the “eternal life”, or immortality, is associated with a vertical time sense. Linear, or horizontal time, with its progression from past to future, dissolves into the eternal moment of the present, the now.

One interpretation of the Christian cross explains it as a representation of these two dimensions of time, the horizontal, associated with our normal consciousness and the vertical, associated with divine consciousness.

After thirty or so years of qigong practice, I can say that qigong has dramatically helped me to shift more into the experience of vertical time.

Longevity, from a qigong-spiritual perspective, is only very superficially associated with a longer lifespan. Qigong longevity has to do with going deep in the moment—the eternal moment—enriching the present.

Our preoccupied mind lives in horizontal time and fears vertical time.

Qigong practice helps to quiet the mind and bring us into the realm of deeply felt experience that is vertical time.

Yes, life is short—when we spend most of it either living in regret about the past or in worry about the future.

And yes, it’s best to stay away from that kind of “short life”…

And yes, the activity of awakening, the process of awareness, will lengthen that “short life” by deepening your engagement with life…

How richly are YOU engaged in your life?

I recommend qigong as a wonderful method to deepen and strengthen that engagement.

And thank you whacked-out lady, wherever you are… here’s hoping you are having a great day, or should I say, moment…
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-17-06, 06:12

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

Key KB
I wouldn't beat yourself up over a couple of espressos. I just heard of a study (I'm not big on studies but.....) that said coffee is protective of the liver and I've also heard time and again about the anti-occidants in it. Lots of contradictory info about everything out there but if you keep thinking it's horrible for you it may be.
I dig that bit about the cross - never thought of it that way. Gigong is cool too.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-17-06, 06:23
Registered Member

Plan: Keto
Stats: 192/188/140 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 8%
Lightbulb

excellent post , never heard of Gigong. I'm sure you've read the book "The Power of Now". Thanks for the info
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-17-06, 06:25

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%