Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 12:32

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Daily Menu Thread - Friday, January 11

Good afternoon! I'm late today -- please don't wait for me to start this thread; I don't own it Anyone who's interested in Daily Menus, please feel free to post the thread; just check to make sure there's not already one up.

I went grocery shopping today and got lots of wonderful things -- red, yellow and orange peppers (which I've never tried, just the green ones), daikon radishes, to try some of Karen's recipes. Brussel sprouts, cabbage. And some filet mignons, slab bacon, and short ribs.

I will, however, not eat them all today

Breakfast:

1 slice low carb bread (7 carbs) with butter and 4 oz sliced baked ham

Lunch:

Leftover meatloaf, about 6 oz, with butter and green beans (with butter)

Dinner will be:

6 oz filet mignon with asparagus and butter

Snack: very small apple with peanut butter
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 12:55

Plan: Dr. R. Atkins
Stats: 325/?????/170
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default I'll trade Info.

Alto:

No ideas from me today......... I have Scouts so whatever I throw together.

Re: Peppers -- careful on the red and orange ones. I ate some and according to Fitday -- they were higher than I thought!!
I made mine "grilled" and they were so good.

What is the brand name of your bread -- looked at some in my store today, and couldn't find anything that was relatively low.

Please advise.

Thanks

Pam
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 13:57

BF:

Pam, I got my tip from Karen B -- I noticed she was having a slice of "Hunger Filller" bread for lunch and asked her about it.

Go to www.naturalovens.com There are several breads that will fit: 12-14 grams of carbs, minus 5 grams of fiber, per slice. The bread is quite dense (I got Millet and Hunger Filler) and I'm not sure I'd like it untoasted, but toasted I think it's delicious. No twigs! It's real bread. The slices are thinner than regular bread, but not too thin. It's satisfying -- and I need the fiber.

It was expensive to ship (I got second day air) so I ordered four loaves; they live in the freezer.

I'm trying it for breakfast, 1 slice spread with butter and topped with four ounces of baked ham.

Thanks for the tip on the peppers -- they, or parts of them, are going to become a stir fry, but I won't eat all three at once
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 15:33

Plan: CAD
Stats: 272/267/150
BF:
Progress:

Hello...

Does anyone folow the Heller's program? I was under the impression that we could have absolutely no bread and very few carbs for 2 out of the 3 meals? Am I missing something? You are talking about eating a slice of bread for breakfast and it has 7 grams of carbs. In the book, at least from my understanding this is a no no...Am I just being too strict on myself or have I mis-understood the whole program??
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 15:52

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

ooh, alto, I LOVE those peppers. Just raw, they work well as dessert (so sweet!)

Today for me began with forgetting my bag breakfast...luckily, there's a cafeteria at work. I collected coins off my car floor (not kidding!) and could affford to buy a plate of...

B: scrambled eggs with stir-fried veggies I 'stole' out the potatoes+veggies bin

L: crockpotted beef rump, sliced, and topped with plenty o' butter, then a lettuce leaf. It's funny how I've come to love this sort of "finger food" better than sandwiches...I have some leftover kid guilt/thrill about eating meat with my fingers, so it's oddly fun.

S: leftover feta-spinach quiche (my last dairy meal for awhile!)

Sn, if I need one: have both deviled eggs and sunflower seeds around.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 16:52

BF:

Tara, every program is different. I'm not on CAD. No, eating 7 carbs for breakfast is not a no no, depending on what program you're on.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 16:58
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Just tried the mashed cauliflower for the first time (cooked with parmesan and cream chease) as a side to burger patties. I'm impressed with the taste and texture. Will use the rest for dinner as well.

Wa'il
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 17:48

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 164/130/132
BF:
Progress: 106%

Hi...

Come here everyday and just found this thread!!

Today I had 2 eggs scrambled w/mushrooms in the AM.

Lunch-- a nice steak and fried zuchinni.

Later--- I'll have some cold chicken breast dipped in mayo and celery sticks.

I try to get my carbs in early in the day because I eat my last meal so late.

Ellie
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 20:51

Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%
Wink On the opposite end of boring

*approaches soap box, takes a deep breath*
Ok you daily menu posters. Did you notice what we did yesterday? Did you notice how many of us described our daily plans as boring? You know what, boring or exotic is irrelevant. It's also very subjective. What's important is that it was LC. It doesn't make any difference if we slaved for hours in the kitchen, or quickly threw something together, or had something from a food court or restaurant, as long as it was LC.

Let's face it, we are not all Madame Benoit or Martha Stewart. For some of us mixing more than 3 ingredients together is a victory. Some of us don't care if we have the exact same thing for breakfast 7 days in a row. Some of us have veggies and food that needs to get used up before it spoils, so we make multiple meals out of it.

As long as we are eating LC, and sharing ideas in this thread, then we are doing a good thing. I refuse to continue to call my meals boring. My meals are healthy. I eat them because I like them. I'll share with a smile from now on. *climbs off soap box*

The yummy stuff I had today:

B: leftover LC cabbage roll that I made myself, 1/2 cup strawberries

SN: 3 oz colby cheese

L: mesculin mix lettuce with sliced radishes and oil & vinegar dressing (olive oil, safflower oil and flax seed oil because I was just about out of everything and what was there made enough)

D: we went to our favourite diner. It is a diner in the true old fashioned sense of the word. Had a 6 oz hamburger, no bun, no ketchup, no relish, mustard on the side, with a greek salad, oil and vinegar dressing on the side. The waitress got a huge tip for being so accommodating and cheerful.

BTW Alto, congratulations. Meal plans have a whole home of their own now!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 21:01

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default TGIF

not that i ever go there... their service is slower than my girls getting ready for school, and everything they serve there is brown.
anyway, today... and this is a quiz see if you can spot a pattern today...

2 coffees w/ splenda and cream
2 oz. cashews
flax o meal (chocolate) w splenda and cream
6 pc. salami
1/2 a s/f jello
roasted chicken, green salad & broccoli
french vanilla carbolite frozen yogurt.

totally not boring, i agree angela great point you made.
regards,
brenda
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 00:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/168/140
BF:
Progress: 55%

I ate A LOT of food to day, which was ok because all of it was LC. Lately I had been feeling like I couldnt get full, like I was starving from morning to night.

If any of you have read my journal, I have always eaten a large amount of food. I think to me that is the biggest perk about this WOL. I use to eat just salad and rice cakes for my girlish figure until I gave in and fell of the low fat diet wagon.

Now that I know better - I can eat like a hungry hungry hippo, but this new girlish figure is making heads turn.

what I ate today...

Breakfast 3 sausage links and 4 scrambled eggs mixed w/chorizo and cheese

Lunch: 6 small beef kabobs w/grilled veggies, pepperoni & cheese and stirfried veggies (I ate at an awful chinese buffet place)

Dinner: stewed beef w/broccoli and string beans
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 03:13
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Fantasy Menu...

Poached eggs wrapped in smoked salmon, covered with lemon dill butter

Lamb meatballs, Greek salad

Small sirloin steak, fried mushrooms and onions, wedge of iceberg lettuce with blue cheese dressing

Reality menu...

1 prime rib bone

Mesclun greens, balsamic dressing, 5 oz. steak, a few small prawns, cucumber "strings" and diced tomato

Stir fried chicken, bean sprouts and egg w/soy and chilies

Piece of Meatza

Middle Eastern string cheese

Karen
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 03:50

Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

Alto : sweet red peppers have a very different taste from green ones. I find them much sweeter, and not as bitter or sometimes musty tasting as the green ones. They are my pepper of choice, although here they come very dear. Yesterday i bought 4 and they were just over $6. I personally find the taste so refreshing that I choose to buy them more often than green ones. REd and green peppers have the same amount of carbs according to Netzer. It's the yellow ones that are outrageous 11.8 versus the 3.5 for red or green according to Netzer.

Goingfor60 : What is chorizo?
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 01:36

Plan: WW Core/South Beach
Stats: 245.6/211.9/160 Female 4' 11"
BF:32.6
Progress: 39%
Default Hello

Hi Everyone
I have so enjoyed reading this thread tonight.

AngelaR: ~~ chorizo is a Mexican sausage. Very good mixed with eggs. Some markets carry in their meat case in bulk. That is the way I like to buy it.

Being I have my food Journal in my profile, I won't bore you with my menu. That way if you want to take a look and comment, great.

I have just learned about Protein Power and bought the book. Haven't had the time as yet to read it. Have only scanned though it a bit. So have lots to learn.

Been doing Atkins since April 1, with a weight loss of 16 pounds. Much better then I did on Weight Watchers!

Looking forward to read and learning more from y'all.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 00:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/199/130 Female 65"
BF:33%
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaR
Let's face it, we are not all Madame Benoit or Martha Stewart. For some of us mixing more than 3 ingredients together is a victory. Some of us don't care if we have the exact same thing for breakfast 7 days in a row. Some of us have veggies and food that needs to get used up before it spoils, so we make multiple meals out of it.

Thank you for writing this. One of my concerns upon starting this diet is that I don't know how to cook. The few recipes I have found, I found by accident. I used what I had and it just happened to turn out well.

I am not a cook and don't plan to be in the future. I just want to get through induction and increase my carbs so I can have my MASHED TATERS! ;o)

Regardless, your post is right on!