Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-18, 10:00

Plan: Dr. Westman
Stats: 242/225/150 Female 5' 5.5"
BF:39%/39%/24%
Progress: 18%
Default Newbie too!

Hello All, ! I am returning to the LCHF lifestyle (first time with lowcarber.org) after trying it last year with some success and, most of all, an increased sense of well-being. Unfortunately, I took a break (still am not sure why) and during that time I allowed myself to eat carbs as the urge struck me, which was often. I wasn't happy about it. And, naturally, I've gained a good bit of weight and so am now very uncomfortable physically. Recently reading Gary Taubes' "Why We Get Fat" and now reading "The Case Against Sugar" has (re)inspired me and I am ready to recommit myself to the LCHF lifestyle. I was born smack dab in the middle of the baby boomer generation and Taubes' messages about the bad science we were taught re dietary carbs and fats and calories in/out resonant completely with my own dismal experience with dieting and the elusive healthy lifestyle. I was basing my decisions on the wrong information. Now, after decades of calorie counting yo-yo'ing, I suffer from metabolic syndrome (so far without, somehow, diabetes but) with a recent diagnosis of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. So I am scared and want to reverse that. But I am also in pain. I suffer from some severe chronic pain issues that this obesity only exacerbates every minute of the day. Happily, a few months ago I began water aerobics three times/week and just love it. The water is perfect for this body and I can workout surprisingly hard in it. The sheer pleasure of motion that I enjoy in the water has given me a measure of confidence so I am now returning to the problem of my compromised nutrition to see if I can get a good handle on that as well. I am VERY optimistic that this is the start of something wonderful and am looking forward to learning more about how to make LCHF work for me from the success of others on this site!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-18, 04:38

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome,
Another baby boomer fan of power water aerobics for decades. Although I could continue in the winter, it is harder to head out to a pool now. But in the summer, I start everyday with a good workout, great for joint arthritis. Hope it continues to relieve your pain.
Exercise tones, but sadly as you will read in Taubes, does almost nothing for weight loss. Weight loss comes down to Diet, and Dr Westman's clinic Diet in the back of Why We Fet Fat is a great one to follow. (Taubes is a science journalist, the diet Plan is Dr Westman's from Duke Lifestyle).
You have found a great forum, look back through threads in all the various topics here (there is one on fibromyalgia pain), maybe join a buddy group, ask questions. All the best,
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-18, 06:16

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Just changing your food choices can reduce pain symptoms. Reducing weight off the body also reduces stress that causes pain.

Can I suggest a couple more books to add to your library:

cookbooks by Dana Carpenter--even my kids will make some of these recipes

Dr Atkins New DIet Revolution--having a hard copy is like a minister keeping a BIble on hand.

I did read Protein Power, and my takeaway was we do need to meet the minimum daily allowance of protein, and then contruct meals and snacks around that.

Welcome to a great forum.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-20-18, 10:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Just changing your food choices can reduce pain symptoms. Reducing weight off the body also reduces stress that causes pain.

Can I suggest a couple more books to add to your library:

cookbooks by Dana Carpenter--even my kids will make some of these recipes

Dr Atkins New DIet Revolution--having a hard copy is like a minister keeping a BIble on hand.

I did read Protein Power, and my takeaway was we do need to meet the minimum daily allowance of protein, and then contruct meals and snacks around that.

Welcome to a great forum.

Thanks so much for those tips. Do you know what/when is the latest edition of the New Diet Revolution? There seem to be a number of them out there (or maybe they're just published with different covers). I checked out one of Carpenter's cookbooks and am really looking forward to trying her recipes! (It says a lot if your KIDS like them!) Re the protein intake, I've got to gauge it carefully since I have kidney failure, stage 3, but have talked with a dietician at a local teaching hospital and she gave me some good guidelines on adapting LCHF to my needs. Thanks again!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-20-18, 11:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Welcome,
Another baby boomer fan of power water aerobics for decades. Although I could continue in the winter, it is harder to head out to a pool now. But in the summer, I start everyday with a good workout, great for joint arthritis. Hope it continues to relieve your pain.
Exercise tones, but sadly as you will read in Taubes, does almost nothing for weight loss. Weight loss comes down to Diet, and Dr Westman's clinic Diet in the back of Why We Fet Fat is a great one to follow. (Taubes is a science journalist, the diet Plan is Dr Westman's from Duke Lifestyle).
You have found a great forum, look back through threads in all the various topics here (there is one on fibromyalgia pain), maybe join a buddy group, ask questions. All the best,

Hi Janet! I'm lucky bc our winters here aren't particularly harsh, so that doesn't get in the way of the water aerobics class. Although we did have some hard freezing, icing, about 7-10 degrees, for a while this winter...the instructor and I were the only ones there for class on one day. But the class is so important to me. Not for weight loss, but bc I had a catastrophic neuromuscular reaction to a statin drug in Jan 2016 through mid 2017 that left me immobilized, too weak to move, zero muscular strength, and dreadful pain levels (sustained 8/10-10/10) with only very brief respites throughout that time. About mid-2017, I had recovered enough to begin MOVING again. What a thrill! And I immediately jumped into the pool and this class, praying I'd have enough mobility to continue the class. I did! Now it's my lifeline to recovery, rebuilding my physical strength and stamina, and unbending my mind from the memory of such prolonged super-pain every time I am in that delicious, merciful water. It's just so good for all of me that I'm not disturbed that it doesn't come with weight loss (and it sure doesn't). I push myself HARD during the classes, but no longer collapse afterwards, and can feel my muscles healing with each class I complete. I have a lot of respect for Dr. Westman (and his colleagues Phinney & Volek). Reading their "The New Atkins For a New You" is next on my list. Have you read it? Thanks for the encouragement. It's great to hear from another baby boomer h2o aerobics fan!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-20-18, 12:46

You had a catastrophic reaction to a statin drug?!? Wow, I am an outspoken opponent of them here, but have never heard of that reaction. If it is not too painful to even think about, you might add your experience to this sub-forum. http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=48
Glad to know the water aerobics helps recovery after such pain.

I started LC with New Atkins in 2010. Dr Westman spoke about the book at a nearby bookstore and I went to "check him out". He seemed nice so I made an appointment at his clinic. The clinic version is stricter yet simpler since it was designed for his clinical trials. I like the way the science is explained in the New Atkins of all the Atkins books, but lost weight on all versions of the Diet.
If you want to watch him on DietDoctor, AdaptYourLife, or videos of his local monthly support group, there are links in this thread. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...86&page=6&pp=15
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-18, 05:59

Quote:
You had a catastrophic reaction to a statin drug?!? Wow, I am an outspoken opponent of them here, but have never heard of that reaction. If it is not too painful to even think about, you might add your experience to this sub-forum. http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=48
Glad to know the water aerobics helps recovery after such pain.

I started LC with New Atkins in 2010. Dr Westman spoke about the book at a nearby bookstore and I went to "check him out". He seemed nice so I made an appointment at his clinic. The clinic version is stricter yet simpler since it was designed for his clinical trials. I like the way the science is explained in the New Atkins of all the Atkins books, but lost weight on all versions of the Diet.
If you want to watch him on DietDoctor, AdaptYourLife, or videos of his local monthly support group, there are links in this thread. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...86&page=6&pp=15

I hadn't heard of AdaptYourLife or the videos so thx for the link!

Your stats say you've lost 50 pounds. Oh, how much more comfortable I would be 50 pounds lighter! And it's the adverse statin reaction that managed to add these most uncomfortable, last 40+ pounds to this frame.

My highest weight ever was over 310# during the years surrounding 2010 (surely higher, since I couldn't bear to weigh myself for a long time after I saw THAT number). But I had lost over 100# by the end the 2015 and had an excellent handle on my chronic pain problems (polypain syndrome). Then, while I was 100# lighter, wonderfully active, and at the happiest and healthiest I'd been in years, the d----d statin reaction hit me out of the blue, breathtakingly fast and hard. Now, since the onset of that nasty reaction, between the resulting prolonged immobility and the heavy medications needed to manage the super-pain (pulling it down from 9/10 and 10/10 to a welcome 7/10 and lately hints of 6/10!), I've gained back almost half of the weight I had lost, which only exacerbates my pain and discomfort even further. Yes, I am bitter. But I intend to change ALL of that and regain the lovely health and happiness I had in 2015. And your own success (-50+ pounds!) is so encouraging to me.

So, yes, I'll check out that sub-forum and probably post to it. The horrific statin experience bent my head all out of shape and I think talking about it helps me put the extended trauma in its place, maybe purge some of it bit by bit.

Bottom line for everyone who may be reading this: STATINS can be dangerous and they CAN kill (I developed PVCs from dehydration because I couldn't move enough to keep myself hydrated/nourished). Be careful! Far better to refuse your doc's offer of statins and go LCHF instead to manage your cholesterol levels. And warn your loved ones to do the same.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-18, 06:23
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Best of luck getting your health back under control, Leben.

I've heard of the catastrophic reactions. I think it was Dr Eades back in the day who rang that bell pretty loudly. Google 'statins myopathy' and 'statins rhabdomyolysis'. I also recall some pretty striking stories of cognitive function that was so bad, it resembled dementia/Altzheimers, and cleared up after being back off the statins for a few months. IIRC, these effects can be blamed mostly on the severe co-Q10 deficiency that happens when one takes statins. If you're going to take them, take a co-Q10 supplement.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-18, 06:28

I did lose 60 pounds but 50 is a healthy BMI at my height, so I float around that range. The key is that I have been able to maintain a healthy weight for 6 years now. (You can see anyone's profile by tapping username) My oncologist does annual blood tests, and he is always amazed at my nutritional status. Or rather complimentary...because I have been promoting a Paleo/Keto Diet to him for his patients for years...he knows why the numbers are so good, but it is always nice to get his praise. (Highest HDL in the practice )
Dr Westman mainly focuses on Trig/HDL ratio for cholesterol, this week mine is 29/100 and has it been within a few points of that ratio since 2011 (only 6 months on LC). https://www.facebook.com/AdaptYourL...29366753972550/
You are only about 5 hours away, maybe consider an appointment with him at Duke or Heal Clinic to talk about your weight loss and the lingering medical issues you have from the statins.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Feb-21-18 at 08:08.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-18, 06:56

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Leben - So sorry to hear about your reaction to statins. I had a reaction to Lipitor, not anywhere near as catastrophic as yours but bad enough to convince me never to take a statin again. It took me about a year to develop severe joint pain that made walking difficult. I could only go up and down stairs one foot at a time like a toddler. Since this developed slowly over time it was at about 18 months on Lipitor that I finally consulted with a doctor who suggested I stop taking the Lipitor. Within 2 weeks all the pain was gone and it has never come back. Now I eat lchf and refuse to get my cholesterol checked. I tell my doctor since I won't take a statin what's the point plus the conventional wisdom on cholesterol is mostly ignorance not wisdom. I wish you success in your endeavor to regain your health.Your attitude will definitely take you far.

Jean
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-18, 07:37

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Let me join in welcoming you, LebenRedux, to this terrific forum. Your intelligent and articulate approach to improved health fits right in. Hope you'll enjoy reading around the forums and making friends. As you've already noticed, there are cordial and helpful people right off the bat, and it sounds like you have important experiences to share.

Like many others here, I have the entire library of LC "bibles"--Atkins, Taubes, Fung, Teicholz, and more. But firsthand accounts are always encouraging.

Best wishes.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-18, 05:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Best of luck getting your health back under control, Leben.

I've heard of the catastrophic reactions. I think it was Dr Eades back in the day who rang that bell pretty loudly. Google 'statins myopathy' and 'statins rhabdomyolysis'. I also recall some pretty striking stories of cognitive function that was so bad, it resembled dementia/Altzheimers, and cleared up after being back off the statins for a few months. IIRC, these effects can be blamed mostly on the severe co-Q10 deficiency that happens when one takes statins. If you're going to take them, take a co-Q10 supplement.

Thanks for the good wishes, Kristine. Some studies show that 20% of those who take statins develop some sort of muscular aches. My reaction was pretty extreme but not as rare as the manufacturers would like the public to believe. And, yes, my neurologist recommended CoQ10 600 mg/day to help repair the mitochondria and I take it (ubiquinone) as much as my budget allows -- pricey $tuff!!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-18, 06:06

Quote:
I did lose 60 pounds but 50 is a healthy BMI at my height, so I float around that range. The key is that I have been able to maintain a healthy weight for 6 years now. (You can see anyone's profile by tapping username) My oncologist does annual blood tests, and he is always amazed at my nutritional status. Or rather complimentary...because I have been promoting a Paleo/Keto Diet to him for his patients for years...he knows why the numbers are so good, but it is always nice to get his praise. (Highest HDL in the practice )
Dr Westman mainly focuses on Trig/HDL ratio for cholesterol, this week mine is 29/100 and has it been within a few points of that ratio since 2011 (only 6 months on LC). https://www.facebook.com/AdaptYourL...29366753972550/
You are only about 5 hours away, maybe consider an appointment with him at Duke or Heal Clinic to talk about your weight loss and the lingering medical issues you have from the statins.

Wow, awesome trig/HDLs! And with Paleo/Keto alone! You ARE an inspiration! I'm a bit puzzled about your comment re the BMI, though. I thought I understood BMIs but was under the impression that a BMI of 50 at pretty much any weight was a problem. Have I missed something?

I appreciate your suggestion of a consult at Duke/Heal Clinic. Will see what I can find out. I actually was wanting to go over there for a consult re statin induced mitochondrial myopathy in early 2016 but was much too ill to manage it (or even think) at the time.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-18, 06:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Leben - So sorry to hear about your reaction to statins. I had a reaction to Lipitor, not anywhere near as catastrophic as yours but bad enough to convince me never to take a statin again. It took me about a year to develop severe joint pain that made walking difficult. I could only go up and down stairs one foot at a time like a toddler. Since this developed slowly over time it was at about 18 months on Lipitor that I finally consulted with a doctor who suggested I stop taking the Lipitor. Within 2 weeks all the pain was gone and it has never come back. Now I eat lchf and refuse to get my cholesterol checked. I tell my doctor since I won't take a statin what's the point plus the conventional wisdom on cholesterol is mostly ignorance not wisdom. I wish you success in your endeavor to regain your health.Your attitude will definitely take you far.

Jean

I know exactly what your struggle was like, Jean, and am thrilled you bounced back so quickly after the statin was discontinued. I just wish more people were aware of the problems statins can bring to their lives, but with the typical experience being a slow onset like yours, it's hard to associate the two (statins and muscular problems) if one hasn't been forewarned. The doctors who recommend statins can and should do a better job at warning their patients.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-18, 06:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Let me join in welcoming you, LebenRedux, to this terrific forum. Your intelligent and articulate approach to improved health fits right in. Hope you'll enjoy reading around the forums and making friends. As you've already noticed, there are cordial and helpful people right off the bat, and it sounds like you have important experiences to share.

Like many others here, I have the entire library of LC "bibles"--Atkins, Taubes, Fung, Teicholz, and more. But firsthand accounts are always encouraging.

Best wishes.

I appreciate your warm welcome, BKLoots! And I like your quote, "Patience is also a form of action.--Auguste Rodin." So true!