Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-08, 16:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Again
Stats: 190/190/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Shirataki Pasta

Has anyone ever used the Shirataki Pasta aka Miracle Noodle. It's claimed to be 0 carbs, and contain fiber. I think it's made from tofu, but I have to research more.
If anyone has tried it please let me know, how it taste, and if it is 0 carbs. I would like feedback before I consider purchasing any.

Hoping it's all good, I sure miss eating pasta at times.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-08, 17:12
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

I use Dreamfields, because iit works for me, and is exactly the same as pasta, the tofu noodles smalled bad and were rubbery to me, but some people like them.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-08, 18:18

Plan: ATKINS-ISH :)
Stats: 225/185/140 Female 5'2''
BF:
Progress: 47%

Quote:
Originally Posted by liddie01
I use Dreamfields, because iit works for me, and is exactly the same as pasta, the tofu noodles smalled bad and were rubbery to me, but some people like them.

ive never eaten dreamfields, but i just had to comment on the tofu noodles...they smell bad, even after rinsing them out as ur supposed to..and then when i ate them..it was like chewing on rubber...literally..and its gross..!!! its true that some people like them tho..i couldnt get them down my throat...lol
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-08, 18:54
Absurdtive

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

Hey, if you miss pasta, do what I do and make zucchini pasta, aka zoodles. Here's a recipe:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/23/h...cipehealth.html

It's really easy--takes a couple minutes to make the zoodles with a vegetable peeler and then only about 3-4 minutes to cook them. For abotu a 1 cup portion for 2 people, I usually peel 3 zucchini since I discard the seeded core. The variations are endless--I've been eating them with a homemade alfredo sauce, but you could also make a pesto sauce, roasted red pepper sauce, tomato sauce (if your carb count allows it) etc. They're divine

--Melissa
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-08, 19:49
Never Give Up!!

Stats: 200/139/140 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Those zucchini "noodles" look delicious!!! That is the first thing I am trying after the holidays (I am going off plan Chritmas eve dinner and Christmas lunch). I bet those noodles would be great topped with some chicken and alfredo sauce. Yummmm!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-08, 21:15
7 yrs and counting!

Plan: Vegan/Crossfit
Stats: 285/212/199 Female 5'7
BF:33.4%
Progress: 85%

I have to admit, i was optimistic after reading reviews about them.
I searched and searched for them.
Finally found them.
Made a wonderful dish, it looked beautiful....i even overlooked the putrid smell they have.
And it was so awful of a taste, even made into a dish and not eaten alone, that even the thought of eating the second package of them makes me nauseated.
They were wretched.
In my opinion, of course
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-08, 05:11

Stats: 228/228/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Shirataki noodles definitely have a taste that needs to be acquired. I don't think they're tofu, but some type of root. I bought them and personally don't care for the texture, but the taste wasn't bad. Don't get too discouraged by all the comments. Rinse them well, look in the recipe section on this site or google for some ideas, but do try them first.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-08, 05:57

Plan: moderate carb, WW
Stats: 274/245.2/200 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:36%
Progress: 39%

I saw these in my local store. I did not buy them because we were traveling for Christmas. I believe that package said these were a soy product.

I also like DF pasta, and like many Americans have texture issues with many foreign foods. Based on the smell and texture issues posted above, it's gonna be tuff to actually purchase and consume this product.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-08, 08:34
Registered Member

Plan: Little Atkinish
Stats: 180/164/100 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 20%

There are two different types of Shirataki Noodles, I have both in the fridge and there is not a huge difference in my opinion. There is a tofu version that is low in carbs. Then you have the others which are a type of yam and has equal amount carbs to fiber so you have 0 net carbs.

Please do not try Italian cooking with these, or cream sauces... It is just yucky like that. They are great for the cuisine they are intended for, Asian style cooking and stir fry.

Here is how I cook them.
1 pour them into a small collander and rinse under cold water for about a minute or two. Cold water will get rid of the smell, if they still stink you are not finished rinsing and make sure cold water.

2 use scissors to cut them up to a shorter length as they are long like ramen but do not chew up so easy.

3 boil for a good five minutes.

4 drain and turn out on to paper towels to squeeze out excess moisture (optional but I do it).

Now it is ready for stir fry or some other skillet meal. Here is a recipe of my favorite way to use them, you have to do your own carb counts since noodles vary.

1 pkg shirataki noodles
1 Tbl chunky peanut butter
1 Tbl apple cider vinegar
1 Tbl splenda
2 tsp crushed red pepper
2 cloves garlic (you can use less)
1 Tbl soy sauce
Your choice of meat or if you even want to use it. I use shrimp or meatless.
Sesame oil to cook with

In bowl mix Spleanda, vinegar, soy sauce, peanut butter and set aside.

Place enough oil in pan to stir fry your meat and do so. If you are using shrimp put noodles in first and cook them in the lightly oiled pan and then after a few minutes add in shrimp and garlic. After it is almost cooked add in mixture. Do not be alarmed by the strong vinegar smell produced. Cook it for a minute or so I guess while you continue to stir. Serve with crushed red pepper.

They are also good with chicken broth sprinkled with sesame seeds. Kind of like an Asian inspired chicken noodle. Play with them, just keep in mind these are not intended for Italian fare by any stretch of the imagination.

Oh and I read somewhere there is a manicotti version that makes a decent mock calamari. Texture seems like it would be right on track.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-08, 09:07

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 218.5/203.8/150 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 21%

I think they are great and take on the flavor of whatever you're cooking. Tofu - soybean product. Very fulling and very low carb. Wonderful replacement for regular pasta. Linguini, angel hair, and spagetti. I found them at the Asian market. 5 thumbs up for me.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-08, 11:09
Absurdtive

Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia Mae
Those zucchini "noodles" look delicious!!! That is the first thing I am trying after the holidays (I am going off plan Chritmas eve dinner and Christmas lunch). I bet those noodles would be great topped with some chicken and alfredo sauce. Yummmm!

That they are I highly recommend the chicken/alfredo sauce combo, it's a great match. Let me know what you think of them.

--Melissa
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-08, 12:08

Stats: 335/297/180 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

I love those noodles especially since they are wheat free. You definitely can't eat them right out of the bag but they tend to take on the flavor of whatever you cook them in. When I cook a roast or chicken in the crock pot, I add them in after I take the roast out to sit and they soak up all the good flavor of the meat. Yum!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-08, 18:35

Plan: LC
Stats: 189/184/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Have you ever eaten Octopus? I have and it was like eating a pencil eraser. I liken Shiritaki noodles to that poor Octopus - no flavor and terrible to chew. I threw mine in the garbage.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Dec-25-08, 01:42

Plan: ATKINS-ISH :)
Stats: 225/185/140 Female 5'2''
BF:
Progress: 47%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbruce
Have you ever eaten Octopus? I have and it was like eating a pencil eraser. I liken Shiritaki noodles to that poor Octopus - no flavor and terrible to chew. I threw mine in the garbage.

omg....lolllllllllll....what a great comparison!!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Dec-25-08, 06:47

Stats: 270/160/145 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 88%

I agree that they are an acquired taste, but it is a taste worth acquiring. They must be rinsed well and they take on the taste of what you serve them with. I really like them with chicken and sun dried tomato alfredo sauce.