Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-02, 16:34

Plan: PPLP (Intervention) Dilettante
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 0%
Angry I'm afraid I may have Candida

I'm not sure. I went on a website and took a little quiz that says taht I more than likely do. If I do, that would certainly explain why I can't seem to lose an ounce.

So, my big question (I don't have the Atkins book to read anymore) is what's the Atkins way of controlling and eliminating Candida. What do I need to cut out of my diet, for how long, etc.

Just a quick run-down would be so appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-02, 08:39
Pending Member

Plan: Anti-Candida
Stats: 152/150/130
BF:
Progress: 9%

Hi dizzyd:

It is probably easier to list things you CAN eat with candida. . .

Here is the basic things not to eat ( I am getting these from a book entitled "The Yeast Connection Handbook" written by William G. Crook, M.D.). I have not copied this information verbatim.

In addition to everything Atkins says not to eat. . . .

Sugar and sugar containing foods including honey, moleasses etc. also avoid sucrolose, fructose, maltose, mannitol, glucose, etc.

Packaged and processed foods.

Breads, pastries and other raised baked goods (NO KRISPY KREME)

All cheese (contains mold). Moldy cheese such as roquefort are the worst.

Most condiments (because they contain vinegar which is fermented and they harbor mold) such as mustard, vinegar, bbq sauce, soy, pickles. You can use freshly squeezed lemon juice.

Malt products (say good bye to beer and wine .

Processed and smoked meats (bacon, sausage, hot dogs, ham.

Edible fungi such as mushrooms, truffles.

Melons (watermelon, honeydew and cantaloupe).

Dried and candied fruits

leftovers (harbor mold). You can freeze them to eat later.

Fruit juices (lots of sugar and they harbor mold from sitting in barrles and bins at the processing plants).

Coffee and tea. Alcoholic beerages, diet pop (very tough to give up). I still drink it. I do not recommend it, but I am a severe Carbo. addict and I need something sweet.

Stick to the LOW CARB veggies.

Dr. Crook says to shop mainly around the edges of the supermarket and he also recommends "organic foods". I personally cannot afford these, as I am on a tight budget.

If you think you have Candida, Dr. Crook is a good source of info. I believe Doreen has a link to his web site in her posting of sources at the beginning of the Candida forum.

I hope this is helpful. Anyone else? Please feel free to add or correct this info!!!

LBG
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-02, 10:37

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 222/214.5/170
BF:
Progress: 14%

Hi Donna!
I've got candida (from antibiotics and sugar), and what LBG is pretty much the crux of it. Although, you can have diet pop as long as it doesn't contain caffeine, and they steer you away from tea and coffee - even the decaffinated because they also contain molds. If you want tea, it's suggested that you drink herbal tea. Also, you can have American cheese and cream cheese - small indulgences, but something worthwhile! I've read several places where you can have organic apple cider vinegar, but I've not gotten up my nerve to try it. I've been toughing it out with olive oil and lemon juice on my salads. But, my rash is beginning to go away, so I guess I'm doing something right. I suggest you read some of the candida forums and see what's out there...it's a wealth of information! Good Luck!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 11:05

BF:
Default Thank you!!!

Well, I have a lot of info to go on now. I guess the best thing that I can do is try emliminating a few things (I only have a few left to eliminate!) and see what happens. Luckily, if I do have it, it's very mild. The only rash I have is something on my toe! I have just enough of the other symptoms to make me wonder.

Thank you all so much for your wisdom and assistance!

's to ya!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 11:52

BF:
Unhappy I just failed the spit test...

Holy smokes!

I was just browsing through the threads again and thought I would try it for a lark. Well, as I watch my spit's jelly-fish tendrils actually touch the bottom of a full 8 oz glass of water, I realize that I most definately must have Candida. I guess this could explain why I haven't lost an ounce. (The 7 pound loss in my profile turned out to be water, and I just can't bear the thought of changing my stats back to 0% lost!)

So, off to the health food store for some supplements and away with the fungi and yeasty causing stuff. Oh how I will miss nice aged cheddar!

How long does it take for Candida to clear up? Anyone? Rough guess?

Thanks again!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-02, 10:30

BF:

Donna - how long it takes to recover depends on how bad you have Candida. I had a terrible rash that covered about 1/3 of the back of my right hand. It was rough, red and ugly looking. I started taking Capryl Acid and Milk Thistle Extract 10 days ago, and the rash is all but gone. I've also been treating the rash itself with Tea Tree Oil. I'm counting the days until I can add goodies like aged cheddar and salad dressing back into my diet! But, to be on the safe side, even after the rash is gone, I think I'll stay "legal" until I've taken all the medicine.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-02, 12:05

BF:

Hi dharris, thanks for replying.

So let me ask you this... where did you get the Capryl Acid and Milk Thistle Extract? A health food store, or did your Dr. arrange that for you? I hope not to have to see my Dr. because I really don't like him. I inherited him after my old doc retired. He's a quack. Really. One more question... what do you put on your salad now? I've been wondering about that since yesterday when I went to the grocery store and started reading labels. They all have vinegar! Every single one! Ay-yi-yi-yi!!!

This is a bummer. But, at least I can fix it now that I know what it is!

Thanks for your help!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-02, 14:00

Plan: mostly paleo
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

hey, dd, I hope this works for you!

Yes, both products can be purchased at a HFS. Kinda moderate priced for supplements, in both cases (I can't wait until one day I try a supplement that is CHEAP! lol)

you can substitute a bit of lemon juice for vinegar in homemade dressing.

I had mild candida...for me, staying away from coffee was the big trick!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-02, 14:06

BF:
Unhappy Coffee...

Oh gawd, I don't know if I can live without coffee!!!! I guess I better try though. I'll go get the supplements and get to it. Hopefully this will get things moving for me!

Thanks for the help Razzle. You are the best!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-02, 07:14

BF:

Donna, if you're like me, you're going to feel just a little deprived for awhile. I had just barely started low carb when I discovered that I had Candida. I really didn't mind low carb, but when I discovered I couldn't have caffeine, cheese, mushrooms, OR vinegar, well, I very nearly rebelled! And, yes, like Razzle said, you can get those supplements at the health food store. The Capryl Acid is the "yeast killer", and the Milk Thistle is a support for the liver (mine had been hurting for some time). There are a few salad dressing recipes around without vinegar, but be careful. Even mayonnaise contains vinegar , so there's not a lot of latitude. I've been using olive oil and the juice from about 1/4 th of a lemon on my salads - really tests your constitution. But, it's paying off, and before long I'll be dining on good aged cheddar and salad dressing - among other things.

Debbie
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-02, 16:15

BF:
Unhappy dharris...

I've started my anti-candida campaign today. I've taken the vinegar-free mayo recipe and made that and I stopped short of blending "mayo thick" to use as a dressing on salad. Added some lemon juice to it, and it wasn't too bad. I've got supplements up the wazoo! (I got this "Yeast-Cleanse" that makes me taste grapefruit!)

When you started treating the candida did your weight loss get better? This is a big thing for me. Not only have I not lost an ounce, I've gained about 7-10 pounds now since I quit smoking 5 weeks ago. This is awful!! (I really should change my stats.) I feel so terrible about that! I know it was to be expected, but it still sucks!

I just need a little reassurance that things will get back to normal and I'll be able to lose weight once the candida has been dealt with.

Thanks everyone for your help! I sure appreciate it.

#12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 11:44
Registered Member

Plan: GO-Diet
Stats: 164/133.4/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 70%

I don't know if this will work for you, but I've started using Bovine (cow) Colostrum Plus. They have a formula too for people with Candida. According to everything I'm reading, Colostrum (which is the first milk right after birth for mammals), has so many benefits, that it seems too good to be true. But I am willing to try to see if this will help me lose weight and also get rid of my allergies, which it claims can be done. Everything for allergies to relieving multiple sclerosis symptoms. The first site below, will give you information from a prominent Colostrum make (Symbiotics), where the cows come from New Zealand (no pesticides used in their food, etc.). The second site is the best price I could find for the products.

http://www.symbiotics.com

http://www.metafoods.com/colostrum/plus.htm

Hopefully I won't start desiring to eat grass from some farmers field
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 14:32

BF:

Good for you, Donna! I wish I could tell you that things turn around immediate, but they don't. The fact of the matter seems to be that as long as you have an overgrowth of Candida in your system, your weight loss is going to suck . I'm going through a bit of depression right now myself for that very reason. It seems like the harder I try, the less good it does. I've not cheated once, and it seems that I'm putting the weight I initially lost (my water weight, if you will) back. It's very distressing when you're doing it to the "T". But, I'm not going to give up on this. I'm over 50, and I know that the weight won't fall off like it did when I was 20, but darn it, it should come off eventually! You've got to get determined and stay that way! I wish you determination!

Debbie
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 14:34

BF:

slm6596 - I do hope you will keep up posted on your progress. I, for one, would be most interested in your results. Oh, and if it's grass you crave, my lawn is starting to sprout .

Debbie
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 14:50

Plan: Atkins KISS
BF:
Progress:
Default ??

Is yogurt cheese okay??? It says it contains all those good bacteria in it. Eat it for the bacteria or avoid it for the mold properties??? I'm confused on this one!

http://www.heinis.com/html/yogurt-cheese.html
------------------------
This is the part of my diet that is anti-yeast.
Not my whole diet/I'm also IBS but I left that out.

Diet for low carb + inhibiting yeast.

Twinlab Multisport Vitamins/contains all the anti-yeast vitamins you want - b vitamins, biotin, it's a great vitamin!
Flaxseed Omega 3's /Borage Oils - Gla's
Citrical Calcium +D
Benefiber (new kind!)
Yeast Fighters (garlic, caprylic acid, good bacteria, fiber, Paul Darco, Goldenseal, and other anti-yeasty beasties!)

- Meals/ Lean proteins-monounsaturated "good" fats w lcvegs.- No processed foods, coffee, sugar, alcohol, starches, mayo,vinegars,cheeses,mustards,pickled, mushrooms.
----------------------------
I eat only - All unprocessed meats, olive oil, lots of garlic, butter, a little lemon juice, plenty of low carb veggies.

WHAT DO YOU THINK? I've done alot of reading - have I learned?
GREAT LINK: http://www.vitaminlady.com/Articles/Candida.art.htm

Last edited by nsmith4366 : Mon, Apr-01-02 at 15:30.