Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 13:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/170/120
BF:
Progress: 0%
Unhappy please please please read and help

Hello people,

I'm new here, and I'm afraid I'm about to write a novel.

I've had systemic candida for over a year now.. until just recently, I got a phone call from my doctor and she says my blood test are (finally) coming back normal.

Ok, that was two weeks ago. I'm on a maintenance supply of Sporanox.. and I've been taking Pepcid for incredibly painful heartburn. Something I've never had before I got candida, but seems to not have gone away now that I'm over it.

I've stuck to the Atkins candida diet the entire time I was being treated for candida.. but I still gained 70 POUNDS!!... Before I got sick I weighed only 100 pounds... ok, I know that's tiny, but I'm only 5'2". Anyways you can imagine how I feel at 170. I'm thoroughly depressed.

I know that Atkins says that it's almost impossible to lose weight while infected with systemic candida... but now that I'm over it, shouldn't I be losing weight?

Could it be the medication stopping me from losing? I know it's not my diet because I am VERY strict and careful to a fault about that.

I guess my concern is.. if it's my medication.. how can I stop taking Pepcid without the pain of heartburn. I mean, it's BAD! And if I stop taking the antifungal, will I run the risk of getting the candida back and just gaining even more weight?????

I'm really really upset here guys... PLEASE someone give me some advice.. or is there anyone with a simulair problem that solved it? Please Please help me... I want my body back, especially now that I may have my life back.

Thank you for all that reply to me,
Lain
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 18:03
Registered Member

Plan: CAD/Atkins combination
Stats: 278.8/269/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default me too

Hi Lain -

I can't really be of any help, but am wondering if systemic Candida is something I might have, too, and what kind of bloodwork you have to find out. I have some skin fungus that seems to not want to clear up with topical treatment, but when I mentioned systemic candida to my doc, she just ignored it.

I have been on the Candida Atkins for a couple of days now and I have a terrific headache. Even my migraine meds won't touch it. I know my sister had the headache when she was on the diet and taking Nystatin, but she always thought it was the Nystatin, and I am wondering if it is really some sort of withdrawal thing.

Oh, and I have the heartburn, too.....feels like it will burn a hole in my chest!

My mother actually died as a result of a systemic candida infection that took over when her resistance was very low, while in the hospital. It ate up her skin, then went internal, and once it crossed the blood/brain barrier, there was no stopping it.

I'm afraid other than that, I don't know very much about it.

#3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 21:08

Plan: Home grown based on Protein Power
Stats: 194/174/174
BF:
Progress: 100%

Dr Mercola had an article touching on this subject just a day or so ago, you may find it interesting to read at this site.

http://www.mercola.com/2002/feb/6/acid_production.htm
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 00:31

BF:
Default reply to stilldeb

stilldeb,

Yes, I've read some pretty horrifying things about Candida, I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. I know from my experience that it's not a pretty thing to have. I devoloped lesions and everything, and it's SUPER hard to get rid of. I had it for almost a year and a half... trying to think back to when I first got it.. I think that's right.

I did want to say that headaches was a MAJOR part of my symptoms when I first got it.. and I also had a fungus growth under my finger nails. I was constipated.. and (trying to think of my symptoms so as to help you) I just gained sooooooo much weight in so little time. It's hard to think of all my symptoms now, cuz most of them have gone. (thank God)

ummmmmm... I think I went to 5 different doctor till they directed me towards a holistic center that treated candida, did blood work for it, and prescribed medication for it.

If I were you, I would find a doctor who specializes in treating Candida, because I know that if you are treated for things other than Candida when you have Candida, that it can sometimes make your Candida worse. (or at least that's what I've read) And I REALLY hate to say this, but if you do have it, don't expect for the medicine to magically work, it takes time. My heart really goes out to you stilldeb. I pray you don't have this. *sighs*

I'm thinking.. I know some health food stores sometimes have lists of Holistic Doctors and what thier practice is, you might try that to find a doctor who may be able to at least see if you have it. Please don't wait too long, I really don't think it should be something that goes uncared for...

I don't know how to private message, maybe someone can help me with that, because if you do have it stilldeb, I would be more than happy to keep in touch with you. I know that when I had it, I needed all the support I could get.

I wish you the best of luck,
Lain
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 07:46

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: reply to stilldeb

Quote:
Originally posted by Lain
I don't know how to private message, maybe someone can help me with that, because if you do have it stilldeb, I would be more than happy to keep in touch with you. I know that when I had it, I needed all the support I could get.

Lain, Private Messaging is available to new members after they have 25 posts - this is to encourage participation in the forum and to discourage questions being posed to members privately - a publicly posted question benefits more than just the person asking

Nat
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 08:39
Registered Member

Plan: CAD/Atkins combination
Stats: 278.8/269/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default thanks

Thanks so much for your info, on the Candida and also the heartburn. I have an appointment with a new doc this month, and I believe she treats Candida, so will definitely have that checked out. I have also had the rapid and uncontrollable weight gain and am now twice the person I used to be! BUT am beginning to lose now on Atkins Candida. The headache is better this morning, hoping that will last all day. Feels like wearing an iron helmet all day. Will any doc prescribe Nystatin (that's what my sister took) or do you have to get that from a holistic doc?

#7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 10:45

BF:
Default thank you everyone

thank you for replying to my message everyone

ummmmm.. thank you on the information on the heartburn, and on private messages...

stilldeb,

My doctor is holistic.. but the medication I'm taking is perscription. So I think you have to be a doctor to prescribe that. *shrugs* dunno. So I would imagine that a doctor can prescribe you what you need. Ummmm... I never took Nystatin. I took Diflucan, and then, now, Sporanox. These are much stronger than Nystatin from what I've read.

If you are making improvement already, then it seems to me that you will probably do a lot better than I did, and may be a faster healer too. I hope so. I'm glad that you are doing better, in any case.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanx *smiles*,
Lain
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 19:27
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 268/185/145
BF:
Progress: 67%
Angry candida albicans infection

i hate this candida! have had it to contend with for years as a result of overuse of anitbiotics for complications from allergies, ie; pneumonia and bronchitis. when i am true to the atkins diet and take a preparation called Yeast Fighters from twin labs, i can say i'm almost candida symtom free. as a result of my now six month relapse from low-carbing, the yeast is having a heyday and i'm very ill. i've mentioned before that i was caregiving my husband, who had cancer, and during the caregiving time, all self care went south. dr atkins age defying diet rev., hard cover edition has some new treatment for candida, page 206. olive leaf extract, or grapefruit seed extract,oil of oregano, caprylic acid, undecenylic acid. says you somtime feel worse because of yeasts dying off in large numbers making your intestines more toxic.

good luck in finding the best treatment for you.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 18:11

BF:
Default update

Hello again people,

Just a quick update... I went of the Sporanox for a week.. and I got horribly sick.. I had to go back on it again. So, I guess that's a no go for now.

I did manage to stop taking the pepcid though. Although I had to deal with incredibly bad heartburn at first... it's now begun to subside.

I'm begining to think that I must still have more Candida in my blood, otherwise I don't see why I got so sick. I also think I need to build up my immune system. Otherwise I think it may just keep coming back, even when I get rid of it.

This process is so long. I really want it to be done with.. and I want my old body back.

Can anyone give me some good solid advice and details why.. on how to strengthen my immune system even more?

I'm taking my acidophilus.. I'm taking all my vitamins.. I'm also taking msm.. and I'm still on Sporanox like I said... Still not losing wieght.. and on the strictest diet ever. I'm on Atkins, Candida diet.. and I've been on this before I got sick too.. and never had a problem losing on it.. until I got sick.. so I know I'm not 'missing' anything. I'm also begining to work out a bit.. on the bike.. not with wieghts.

Please, respond. With advice on making the immune system stronger, so I can finally fight this thing.. and get off the pills.. and also.. if anyone has been actually been able to lose wieght while on these pills that would be nice to know as well.. so then I can ponder over the idea if it's just the pills holding me back.. or the Candida..

Ooooo and by the way.. I AM in ketosis. VERY HEAVILY. So, I know it's not that.

Thanks again,
Lain
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 18:44

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%

Just a few things: Candida is a killer if left unchecked. That's what a majority of people w/ aids actually succumb to in the end so it is something to be taken seriously.

Everyone has yeast and we need it in our bowel to actually help it function properly. The trouble comes when it grows beyond healthy levels. That usually manifests itself as vaginal yeast infections in women, diaper rash and thrush in babies. However, when the overgrowth continues and is not treated it can become systemic (gets into all other areas of our bodies).

First of all, if you go on an anti-candida diet and manage to cut out all the sugars, yeasts, and other fermentable products you WILL experience a time period of feeling much worse. This happens as a "die off" of yeast happens. All those toxins are being released into your blood so it will make headaches worse, gas and bloating worse, fatigue will be more pronounced, you might get night sweats, you may develop more external symptoms of yeast (vaginal yeast infections, etc) and on and on. How long those symptoms last will depend on how badly the overgrowth of yeast actually is in your body.

Secondly, you can take a number of different things to help that die-off happen at a much quicker rate than by diet alone. Nystatin has been mentioned here but all my reading indicated that once the Nyastatin is stopped, the yeast will overgrow again. I believe the natural products are much better to use. I used a capsule that had undecenoic acid in it. It is supposed to be even more potent than caprylic acid in killing yeast.

Third, as the yeast is dying off, you need to be taking cultures that will increase the good flora in your intestine (PLAIN yogurt w/ real live cultures are often recommended) that have been depleted by the yeast overgrowth.

In addition, you should know that most doctors trained in western medicine do not even acknowledge that there is such a thing as systemic Candida. They laugh it off. On the other hand, a lot of holistic practitioners do know about it and treat it. They are the ones that usually do the blood tests. However, seeing a practitioner outside of the established medical profession can be very expensive.

For myself, I had to do a lot of research because I didn't have the money to see a naturopath. I got books from the library and scoured the internet for information and then treated myself. I feel so much better than I did a year ago. I was really pleased (shocked I should say) to see Dr. Atkins mention it as a possible reason for weight loss stall. I had figured this out on my own after my doctor told me that there is no such thing as yeast overgrowth and that I was perfectly healthy. When I started on Atkins, I had already been feeling much better due to my own treatment plan so I didn't go on the anti-candida form of Atkins. However, I do think I still have a mild overgrowth because I get reactions when I eat too much cheese and nuts. I am currently doing a vitamin C flush on a weekly basis and increasing the amount of vitamin C I take because it helps to kill off and prevent yeast overgrowth.

Good luck on your journey to better health.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 18:54

Default One more thought

When I tried to figure out how I got to such a low point in my health and weight, I had to come to the conclusion that, for me, it was pregnancy that threw my body out of balance.

For others it might be a different "trigger."

I have been pregnant four times and have four healthy babies. However, I did suffer from vaginal yeast infections which are quite common in pregnancy due to the change in hormones. My last baby had to be treated w/ gentian violet because he/we had thrush when he was born. I had a terrible time after the babies were born lsoing the weight that I had gained. I just assumed it was because I was nursing, but in retrospect, I think my body just could not rebalance itself after the pregnancies and w/ each successive pregnancy it just got worse. This time last year, my fourth son was almost 2 and a half years old but I was at an all time low health and weight wise.

Going to the doctor didn't help expect to rule out low iron and thyroid. On paper I was completely healthy and normal. But I knew something was wrong with me. Not in a "I think I am dying" sense. More in a "my quality of life really stinks" sense. I had to figure out for myself what I needed to do to get myself well and healthy and slim again.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-02, 17:55

Stats: 173/165/140
BF:
Progress: 24%
Lightbulb Feeling crappy after 3 children too.

I've thought for a while I might have candida overgrowth too. After my twins were born(1995) I was depressed and having dizzy spells, couldn't get out of bed. Getting out of bed has always been a problem, but this was ridiculous. I had 2 little boys who needed a well Mom. Anyway, no one checked me for candida (surprise, surprise) I have toe nail fungus pretty bad on one foot also and had used fertility drugs to conceive. I would think that would be a clue to someone...
Anyway after baby #3 in 1999 I have gained 10 more lbs. That would be 10 for the fertility treatments, 10 for the twins and 10 for #3. 30 lbs. more than I ever had to worry about before. None of which wants to move very fast.
Since cutting out cheese and mold containing foods, I can now get out of bed and am waiting for the weight to come off more quickly. I am resigned that it might be a while.

Slow progress is better than no progress at all. Keep going LAIN it may take you longer than the rest of us. You have it much more seriously it seems.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-02, 21:53

I can totally relate and I am so happy to be looking back on those "bad" days.

I know if you keep it up, you will be feeling so much better. Oh, and don't forget to stay away from any kind of sugar, which I am sure you already know. Yeast LOVES sugar!

Take care.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 15:59

BF:
Default thank you

Hello,

I just wanted to say thank you everyone, for your kind words. You have no idea how much it means to me at a time like this in my life. There are so few people that seem to understand what I am going through, and and, or, take it seriously. A support system like this is something that I have desperately needed.. and it's really nice to know I have it, and can give it in return. All of you who have answered me, have helped me so much. No, words can say.. I only wish I could talk to you more regularly.. or that there was some sort of 'candida group meetings' like aa.. *laughs*

Anyways.. I've started a new probiotic blend, HSO, it's called Primal Defense, anyone else hear of this one? It seems to be helping me already with stomache aches and pains that I had been having.. and what not. Although, I'm definately going through a die off again.. and feeling a bit fatigued. But I recomend it to those of you who have been having seriously bad stomache aches, and heartburn, it seems to have helped me a lot in those areas.

Still no weight loss though. But, I'm hanging in there, hopefully this probiotic will help me a lot, and I can get my immune system functioning properly again. I will definately keep you all updated.

Thank you again, for all your support.
Lain
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 19:38
Registered Member

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 255.5/244.7/148
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Yeast overgrowth and PAIN

Thank you all for the discussion of yeast overgrowth. I have been taking probiotics and oregano oil. The pain in my intestines and stomach is more that I can tolerate at times. It is a burning that goes through to my back. My muscles are sore and I have headaches...am exhausted and have gained weight. I think I better see my doctor..I will get some active culture yogurt too. Seems like that would be soothing. This has been going on for about 3-4 wks and is getting worse. I hope he believes in yeast overgrowth. Thanks for letting me know how much physical pain you have had...thought I was the only one. Can feel it in my sinus's too. My skin is itchy, blotchy.. I am so miserable. Time to get help.