Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-03-05, 00:06
Registered Member

Plan: I dont exactly
Stats: 300/215/- Male 74
BF:
Progress:
Default Long history and what works.

I'm into natural cures and have been on a strict vegan diet for about 10 years. I've been fighting candida for probably over 20 years. I'm not currently doing a low carb diet persay but most of the carb foods are not being eaten due to very severe allergic reaction which I believe comes from candida.

I have taken both the spit test and the other one for which both were positive but then I've known i had candida for at least 6 or 7 years already. I scored 241 on the test and I'm male so that's pretty high.

I have been studying this condition on many sites for many years along with altering my diet as needed to cope but for the last few years it has been mostly under controle as long as I don't eat even honey or fruits much.

After changing to vegetarian about 9 years ago I had all these issues and many more at that time but after going vegetarian as well as no sugar and no oils in my diet I list about 80 or 90 pounds and my allergies and all my symptoms went away. However for about the last 2 or 3 years the allergies have been getting progressively worse.

I was actually looking up some things to try and find a solution to the hives I am now starting to get badly when I ran across this site and a bunch of other info on things I had not found before regarding candida.

I find it funny after controlling this mostly with diet for years to find others here complaining about not having to give things up but in my case I can tell you when you feel bad enough and have had this issue long enough it really gets to a point were you will give up most anything so that you don't have to feel that way anymore. The others here not willing to give things up just don't feel bad enough yet.

At any rate I ran across threelac and also flora-balance. http://www.flora-balance.com/ .From what I can see and other searching threelac really seems to do what they claim it does and i was ready to order a case of it. Then I found flora-balance which seems to be the same only it uses different bacteria to accomplish this and it also seems to be more robust than threelac. Last but not least it is way cheaper than even buying threelac at wholesale prices.

I guess I would really like to know if anybody else has any information on floral-blend. I have seen enough info on threelac to know that it will do what it says for about 95% of those that take it so I don't really need to know about it.

Another thing before mossman beats me over the head with scd yogurt. I cant take that anymore as the allergic reactions would likely kill me. Not to mention I have not been able to find a non-dairy source of yogurt starter anywere. They all use cow milk or goat milk as a base.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-03-05, 18:45

Plan: My OWN general LC!
Stats: 146/141.5/115 Female 5ft4in
BF:not sure!
Progress: 15%
Default i'm a picky eater

i can't hang w/ the whole yogurt idea anyway....yeeeyuck! anyway i bought Threelac-been on it for 9 dys. and my head is begining to fell clearer, and i'm not bouncing of the walls w/ energy but I am not crawling to the kitchen to make the baby a bottle anymore either. my hubby said if it keeps me out of the dr. office and off that horrid ADd medication than it is worh the price. ihave read a few site where people have mad their own mix of stuff to "treat their candida" and that kinda stuff scares me. I mean i am willing to try premade stuff if it works for others0 people buy nyquil etc. all the time why cause people have said it worked...so i wish you luck on your quest....
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-03-05, 20:09
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

right I have researched threelac very well and also the other product I mentioned but in the end decided to go with floral balance.

Because:
1) Floral balance also kills other pathogens(spelling?) so it kills strep, e coli, and other things which threelac seems to be geared to only kill Candida. On the surface of it since it kills off other bad things also I thought that it might work out better in the long run. Also

2) Threelac I learned does not work against all strains of candida so it is not effective in some cases. This does appear to be the case with floral balance.

3) Floral balance offers a 100% money back guarantee for the whole price not just the unused portion.

Last but not least.

4) The cost.

Threelac
1 60 day treatment if you only use one dose a day retail is
$60
1 oxygen elements plus to get rids of systemic candida (they don't tell how long it lasts)
$29
Probiotics to repopulate the good stuff around $15 at your local store
Total $104 retail not wholesale

Wholesale for
threelac alone is $49.95
oe+ is $22 something
total with probiotics from local store $86.95

Floral balance
1 60 day all in one product that includes
floral-balance (same function as threelac)
Ultimate Acidophilus Plus (probiotics) and
biotin ( same function as oxygen elements+)
total $44.95 retail

that's roughly half the cost of the threelac product at wholesale prices.

I'm really tired of feeling like I do and have a few extra hours on my hands so I decided to get really serious and research this out. I can say though that after my research for the last few days I ordered a case of the floral balance candida kit. which is way cheaper that the threelac.

I already know that I will feel sick all over my joints might ache and I may get flue like symptoms but I really don't care anything is worth it to get rid of the allergies and besides even if I didn't try something I would still be stuck with the allergies all the time which would be way worse anyway.

Thanks for your responce I just wish I could find more info on others who have user the floral balance product.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-03-05, 20:20

Plan: My OWN general LC!
Stats: 146/141.5/115 Female 5ft4in
BF:not sure!
Progress: 15%

well i would love to know how it works-i may try to get some sot of refund and use what you have-i got flu crud but it is going away but i felt "less tierd" around the 3rd day! do you know if the flora stuff is a mlm thing to? i mean do you have to pay a membership to buy it cheap?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-03-05, 21:18
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

no I called the guy who runs that site and he resales for the main company. It is a small compnay and you cant even find it on the internet. They are not mlm.

On their site most of the things on the testimonials page is all doctors. He even told me that they added the biotin after they had a doctor recommend it as something to go along with their other product.

So this site actually sells a more complete product than the company they get their product from. And for the price of the candida kit it is very reasonably priced. After just my research I know people here in my local town and I picked up some for others besides myself. I also got it for my mom and my brother sounds interested also.

And no I'm not a rep for that website but I sure am sick of being tired and stuff all the time. If it works well with the people who already want it then I may resell it to others locally here.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-04-05, 07:21
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I was doing more research on threelac one of the main ingredients is listed here:

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/chap21.html

It is actually listed by the FDA as being pathogenic. Listen to some of these things about it.

1. Name of the Organism:
Streptococcus spp. The genus Streptococcus is comprised of Gram-positive, microaerophilic cocci (round), which are not motile and occur in chains or pairs. The genus is defined by a combination of antigenic, hemolytic, and physiological characteristics into Groups A, B, C, D, F, and G. Groups A and D can be transmitted to humans via food.
Group A: one species with 40 antigenic types (S. pyogenes).
Group D: five species (S. faecalis, S. faecium, S. durans, S. avium, and S. bovis).

2. Nature of Acute Disease: Group D: May produce a clinical syndrome similar to staphylococcal intoxication.

3. Nature of Disease: Group D: Diarrhea, abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, fever, chills, dizziness in 2-36 hours. Following ingestion of suspect food, the infectious dose is probably high (greater than 107 organisms).

5. Associated Foods: Group D: Food sources include sausage, evaporated milk, cheese, meat croquettes, meat pie, pudding, raw milk, and pasteurized milk. Entrance into the food chain is due to underprocessing and/or poor and unsanitary food preparation.

I'm no expert and don't know everything but it would seem as though that strain of bacteria may not be the best choice.

the main ingredient: Lactobacillus Sporogenes is recognized by others as being good for candida. It is also included in floral balance.

The last main ingredient: Bacillus Subtills also seems to be known for help in candida but only for animals. This is the only reference I could find to it besides it's use in threelac. http://www.matrix-vet.com/biotrix.htm

Again I'm no expert here but just doing my research.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-04-05, 10:03
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

After doing more research and reading I can tell you that both products use a combination of bacillus that are what is responsible for the killing of the candida and lactobacillus sporogenes that is the same in both products. Accept for the fact that the bacillus are different strains but do mostly the same thing and even look the same under microscope.

This would leave the last ingredient I listed above that is in threelac and that particular ingredient seems to have issues according to the FDA. I'm not sure what exactly it does in threelac but I'm not really sure it needs to be there.

Given the similarities of both products and the lack of the possible harmfull ingredient I think I'll be happy with the floral blend product.

I'm still doing research on the bacillus part of both products and will post more info as I find it also info on the mercury poisoning if anybody else is interested.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-04-05, 10:20
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

after more reseach the B. subtilis found in threelac does some decided things that bacillus laterosporus from floral balance does not do.

B. subtilis Grows as a unicellular rod, seldom as chains. Degrades pectin and polysaccharides in plant tissues, and some strains cause rots in live potato tubers. Grows in a minimal defined medium with no added growth factors. Endospores are widespread. Vegetative organisms take part in various stages in the early breakdown of materials of plant and animal origin. Grows in non acid food under aerobic conditions. Causative agent of ropy (slimy) bread. This bacterium is the "E. coli" of Gram-positive bacteria. Much of the information we have on the biology, biochemistry and genetics of the Gram-positive cell, indeed, of bacteria in general, has been derived from the study of B. subtilis.

B. licheniformis Produces same type of poly-D-glutamate capsule as B. anthracis. Red pigment produced by many strains. Spores occur in soil. Growth in foods, especially if held between 30 and 50 degrees. Industrial source of bacitracin, a medically useful antibiotic.

if you feel like reading the whole paper it can be found here
http://textbookofbacteriology.net/Bacillus.html it's pretty long winded and gives pics even. It's is very doctoral in nature so bring your dictionary for the terms you don't understand.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 05:19

Plan: not a specific plan yet
Stats: 142/142/125 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

so is there a strain of strepococul in the threelac?
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-17-05, 06:13
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

yes there is
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-17-05, 06:23

Plan: Raw Foodhist & Daoist
Stats: 170/160/145 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 40%

"mossman beats you over the head with SCD yogurt?" Why I never! HEE HEE! AHA, took me a while - but I found you.

I stopped taking probiotic pills when I read that they mutate; most of the probiotics haven't been studied enough. I take them now only as medicine and for short periods of time, for a specific reason - like if I feel a cold is comming on.

Have you ever seen doms kefir site? There are all kinds of fermented probiotic foods, its not just yogurt.

http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/Ma...ethod_for_kefir
(At the bottom of that page, is a link to how to make cultured veggies.)

I guess before the pills came along, people actually ate cultured food! Ok, enough of beating you over the head.

Good Luck. I hope your candida gets better

Last edited by MoseyMan : Tue, May-17-05 at 06:40.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-18-05, 06:57
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

yes I read up on kefir also. Problem with all those things is that you have to keep the culture alive in milk. Kefir will survive for a while in soy milk for instance but not over a long period of time. There is also kambuka.

The second issue is that they are all grown in milk and I'm vegan.

The last issue is that most yogurts are made of soy which I don't tolerate at all.

I have run across a recipe for making yogurt from almond milk but this still has the same issue in that were do I find a non dairy, non soy culture to start it from?

I used to use soy yogurt all the time until I found out my body can not tolerate it any more.

As for probiotics and yogurt. Well depending on the probiotic it has the exact same bacteria in it as yogurt so if the probiotic cam mutate so can the yogurt.

As for the floral balance products the bacteria is normally found in the dirt and as such is ingested by people all the time if it is in their location. The acidpholus product they sell only has a couple strains of acidopholus in it and as such is very close to yogurt.

I would like to have yogurt again but finding cultures and keeping them for yogurt, kefir, and kambuka does not seem to be an option for me at this time.

As for the allergies that have already started clearing up. We will see about the rest.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 11:39

Plan: Primal Diet
Stats: 112/128/137 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 64%
Thumbs up good to hear

hey guys,
i've been following this thread with interest - quietly until now.
i'm glad to hear your allergies are clearing up, webmedic!
and please continue to post updates regarding your progress on the flora-balance product.
this info is invaluable for me, and i'm sure, many others currently dealing with candida.
and moseyman, do you know if the water-kefir talked about on Dom's site is okay for people with candidiasis? the probiotics sound good, but it seems to be pretty yeasty and can apparently ferment to the point that alcohol is created if not careful. and due to past experience i've learned to avoid alcohol and be weary of yeasty foods.

has anybody else used water kefir as a supply of non-dairy probiotics?

(check below for link)
http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/Ma...l#Kefir-d-acqua

thanks
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-25-05, 06:47

Plan: Raw Foodhist & Daoist
Stats: 170/160/145 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 40%

tenfifty -
I have no idea about kefir and candida. I want to try the coconut water kefir soon.
Before I found SCD diet, I tried everything for my eczema and allergies. I thought I had candida, milk/egg allergy, celiac sprue, on and on... I kept trying all the latest things - nothing worked. SCD worked for me and I now believe that my 'allergies' were from the inability to digest the food I was eating. After years of avoiding this food or that food to no avail because I didnt get any better - I can eat anything now. I think you have to fix the digestion first because bad yeast thrives on half digested food (and nonfoods because it adapts) Alot of the FOS and things that are added to the probiotic pills feeds the bad yeast.

About FOS and inulin:
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle....saccharides.htm

I'm leary of all these things unless I read thoroughly on all side of it and try it out and it works. I took probiotic pills for years and the effect was minimal, but the SCD yogurt works great for me. On the pills, I couldn't tolerate milk at all, now I have no trouble with milk or cheese. Go figure.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-27-05, 10:51

Plan: Primal Diet
Stats: 112/128/137 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default SCD yogurt

heya MoseyMan, great to get your message. thanks. what you wrote makes a lot of sense. and i'm really happy to hear that you can eat anything now after following the SCD. that's encouraging. i'm going to order the book on amazon tonight.
so were you on SCD for a while before you were able to tolerate the SCD yogurt? or were you able to tolerate that even before you couldn't tolerate other milk products?
i can't tolerate any milk products at the moment but i would try the SCD yogurt if you think it may be okay - i think i really need to repopulate my gut with good bacteria.
have a nice weekend.