Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-21-04, 08:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 179/164/155 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default I believe I have Candida

I performed the saliva test first thing in the morning and it showed that I have an overabundance of yeast. So I started YeastMax I & II. The second day after starting the treatment I experienced flu like symptoms. Additionally, I have IBS - not the constipation type. I still felt a little drained yesterday and will see how I feel today as the day goes on. Anyone else have these symptoms due to cleansing and did they subside?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-04, 21:56

Plan: Yeast
Stats: 217.5/187.5/160 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 52%

The symptoms subside, stay the course, can take up to a week or more, USUALLY the worst is over in 72 hours or so.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 21:56

Plan: none
Stats: 195.5/190./130 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress:
Default candida Diet is not so bad I think

My friend is an iridologist , actually I have several I know , I found out two weeks ago that I have Candida , I started the diet . I have found several things to eat . With Candida the first thing is to eliminate the two causes , you know that , yeast and sugar of all forms , if you ever made bread you know yeast needs sugar . My diet plan , I have found through several iridologists that raw honey and brown rice syrup is fine because these are not actually sugar . Sha Sha bread company makes yeast free breads . Imagine foods makes rice and soy milks with out sugar using brown rice syrup , even the choclate and vanilla flavors are ok . Only goat's milk is exceptable . No cow milk or other products from cow's milk eg: yougart . Soy Delicious makes a new line of fruit juice sweetened icecream , yep , the people in the US have all the flavors , this is ok to . Fresh Lemon and a good olive oil and sea salt on salad is good . Butter is fine to . Eggs or for the people who can not eat eggs egg beaters or simply egg whites . Rice crackers and hummus . Nuts without peanuts , because peanuts carry a mold . No mushrooms . Acidophilus every morning on an empty stomach , as it works better . I have fruit or cereal (nature's path millet flakes , kashi puffed ) with soy or rice dream in the morning , egg beaters and two slices of a sha sha bread with salt and pepper , fruit or salad as a snack , dinner is a whole grain rice or baked potateo or a whole grain pasta the wild rice one is great , salad and a vegetable . I put a small amount of honey in my coffee and soy or rice dream . Water a must . A green zone or a green product like greens plus product helps it along .If anyone wants help , I would be glad to share . I lost 5 lbs so far .
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-05, 07:56

BF:
Default Re: I believe I have Candida

I personally was ONLY using raw honey and had been for over two years, no artificial sweeteners, nothing, I was following the SCD (Specific Carbohydrate Diet) and I didn't start to beat the yeast back until I GAVE UP my raw honey. Now honey is a different type of saccharide, but my yeast learned to live off the stuff.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-05, 14:57

BF:
Progress:
Default Re Raw Honey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty'sMom
I personally was ONLY using raw honey and had been for over two years, no artificial sweeteners, nothing, I was following the SCD (Specific Carbohydrate Diet) and I didn't start to beat the yeast back until I GAVE UP my raw honey. Now honey is a different type of saccharide, but my yeast learned to live off the stuff.

I will keep that in mind , thanks for the info , did you try brown rice syrup or was it the same ?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 08:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollie
I will keep that in mind , thanks for the info , did you try brown rice syrup or was it the same ?

No, because it's not permitted on the SCD, only honey and saccharine are permitted sweeteners, and I found out very quickly that saccharine, to put it bluntly, made me toxic (I also have multiple chemical sensitivity). I'm currently using Stevia with no problems.

NO grains, of any sort, are permitted on the SCD (and I'm a pretty sensitive celiac, so that wasn't much of an issue, in fact it made me feel better to know I wasn't the only person out there suffering!) and that eliminates their derivatives, too. The truth is it can be a pretty restrictive diet and it's supposed to be able to kill yeast on it's own (which is why it took me nearly two years to come to the decision to go on a full blown yeast diet, I really thought the SCD would take care of it). So I'm actually doing a SCD version of yeast, which means no grains (I don't seem to have a problem with corn, so that's my indulgence), no rice, no potatoes, rare legumes, no fruits. It basically comes down to meat, vegetables (broccoli is my friend). Now since I've started a yeast diet I've had a much easier time losing weight and other health issues I was dealing with are slowly fading, so it makes it easier to stick to the diet, by the same time, when I do have an occasional indulgence, a meal of chinese food or a serving of mashed potatoes, it doesn't set me back health wise the way it used to. Last year it took me about a week to recover from mashed potatoes with Thanksgiving dinner, this year they didn't hurt me for me that's a heck of an improvement! It doesn't mean I have a license to eat grains and starches regularly, but it is nice to know I can have an occasional treat. I mean, I was frantic to lose weight but the health benefits (and when you're dealing with long term, chronic conditions, weight loss almost takes a back seat to getting your life back) are what actually motivate me to stay vigilent.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 09:23

BF:
Progress:
Smile Pains from potatoes

Hey , did you get pains from the potatoes ? Last year I went off all carbs , I was off for about a year I guess , then last mothers day I went to the Seinfeld show , we went to dinner I had a small scoop of mashed potatoes , well the whole show I had bad pains from my stomach(rib cage ) down . Hav you tried anything else for a sweenener ? Stevia is so expansive . I am required for a time to have the raw honey as I must mix it with aleo gel two times a day .
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 09:33

BF:
Progress:
Default Try taking half the dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneriding
I performed the saliva test first thing in the morning and it showed that I have an overabundance of yeast. So I started YeastMax I & II. The second day after starting the treatment I experienced flu like symptoms. Additionally, I have IBS - not the constipation type. I still felt a little drained yesterday and will see how I feel today as the day goes on. Anyone else have these symptoms due to cleansing and did they subside?

Thanks

Try taking half the does as this kind of thing tends to happen when pushing things out too quickly . Also you should pick up a DRY SKIN brush and dry brush your skin before each shower , this will help open up the skin to give another exit out of the body . A hot bath 2 times a week with 1 cup epsom , 1 cup baking soda and a dime size amount of ginger . I shake mine up in a mason jar , you can also add essential oils to the jar , it will mix better . A dry skin brush ,you can find at a large chain drug store or even some holistic stores,they have a long wooden handle and natural bristles . They should not wet them .
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 21:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, Candida friendly
Stats: 215/210/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hollie,

Does this dry brush look like a a regular one with the beige bristles, long brown handle that says shower brush? If so I have one that is in my shower and hubby uses it for his back. I always wanted to understand this dry brushing.

Blessings,
Carol
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 09:58

BF:
Progress:
Wink Re dry brushing

Yes that sure sounds like mine , the bristles are corse and natural looking with a wooden handle , It kind of looks like something to brush a horse with . It actually I'm proves your skin , if you can get a regular routine down . I am trying to remember myself . It is suposed to help with cellulite also . .
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 10:02

BF:
Progress:
Question What is SCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty'sMom
No, because it's not permitted on the SCD, only honey and saccharine are permitted sweeteners, and I found out very quickly that saccharine, to put it bluntly, made me toxic (I also have multiple chemical sensitivity). I'm currently using Stevia with no problems.

NO grains, of any sort, are permitted on the SCD (and I'm a pretty sensitive celiac, so that wasn't much of an issue, in fact it made me feel better to know I wasn't the only person out there suffering!) and that eliminates their derivatives, too. The truth is it can be a pretty restrictive diet and it's supposed to be able to kill yeast on it's own (which is why it took me nearly two years to come to the decision to go on a full blown yeast diet, I really thought the SCD would take care of it). So I'm actually doing a SCD version of yeast, which means no grains (I don't seem to have a problem with corn, so that's my indulgence), no rice, no potatoes, rare legumes, no fruits. It basically comes down to meat, vegetables (broccoli is my friend). Now since I've started a yeast diet I've had a much easier time losing weight and other health issues I was dealing with are slowly fading, so it makes it easier to stick to the diet, by the same time, when I do have an occasional indulgence, a meal of chinese food or a serving of mashed potatoes, it doesn't set me back health wise the way it used to. Last year it took me about a week to recover from mashed potatoes with Thanksgiving dinner, this year they didn't hurt me for me that's a heck of an improvement! It doesn't mean I have a license to eat grains and starches regularly, but it is nice to know I can have an occasional treat. I mean, I was frantic to lose weight but the health benefits (and when you're dealing with long term, chronic conditions, weight loss almost takes a back seat to getting your life back) are what actually motivate me to stay vigilent.

What is SCD , and what would you be able to eat in a day ?
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 15:12

BF:

Quote:
Hey, did you get pains from the potatoes ?

Yes, but not in my stomach. Mine was way lower right quadrant of my abdomen, about 4" in from the hip bone. I would get inflammation in there (definitely intestinal, there's a major turn right there) that would last up to a week.

Quote:
Hav you tried anything else for a sweenener ? Stevia is so expansive.

The initial purchase is a bit pricey, but you REALLY use a tiny amount of the stuff, so it lasts. And I DO mean a tiny amount!!! I use a powdered version that comes in a container about the size of a toothpick jar and I just use a couple of TINY sprinkles in my morning coffee. Stevia, to my tastes, is even stronger than saccharine.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 15:27

BF:

Quote:
What is SCD , and what would you be able to eat in a day ?

SCD = Specific Carbohydrate Diet as recommended in the book, "Breaking the Vicious Cycle." Essentially, NO grains (includes rice, corn, buckwheat, the works), no starches, no starchy vegetables (no potatoes, no sweet potatoes, no turnips, no parsnips, etc.), no sweeteners permitted but saccharine or honey, fruit if you can tolerate it, no dairy that contains lactose which means only aged cheeses or homemade 24 hour yogurt, nuts. It's a diet primarily for those who suffer chronic intestinal diseases like Crohn's, colitis, things like that, but celiacs frequently have impaired intestinal function, and it helps with that, too. The author claims success rates of bringing symptoms under control/getting the person off medications as high as 75%. It helped a lot of my symptoms, but I was using honey to sweeten my morning coffee and drank a couple of glasses of orange juice in a day, and that was enough to keep my yeast going. The author claims that the diet should eliminate yeast, but I think I had a particularly sneaky variety.

What would I eat in a day ... pretty much the same as the yeast diet, meats, veggies that I could tolerate, eggs, healthy fats, fruits, cheeses. It's a lot like Atkins, a lot like the Yeast Diet, but permitted more sweets in the form of "legal" baked goods (made with nut flours), and fruits. I was going by my personal gauge, the intestinal pain flare up or other digestive troubles and those problems settled down a lot, but I also have a skin condition and although that IMPROVED, it still wasn't 100%, and I could NOT lose a pound! Drove me nuts. Getting rid of the fruit and honey, even though calorically I was eating EXACTLY the same numbers, set off the weight loss, which really got me thinking about yeast problems (I simply do NOT have what I would consider TEXTBOOK yeast symptoms, I honestly have not had a "yeast infection" in about ten years). When I really addressed the yeast through diet, and did a candida cleanse I saw continued improvement in health issues and some more improvement in my skin, so I figured I was on the right track, especially since the weight loss has been steady when I keep active.

There are a lot of good websites devoted to the SCD, just pop it into your favorite search engine.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 15:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol R
Hollie,

Does this dry brush look like a a regular one with the beige bristles, long brown handle that says shower brush? If so I have one that is in my shower and hubby uses it for his back. I always wanted to understand this dry brushing.

Blessings,
Carol

Dry brushing is GREAT for yeast sufferers. What it does is stimulate lymphatic circulation, which aids in the elimination of toxins. You really should have your own specific brush, made with 100% natural bristles (synthetic can scratch the skin) and ONLY use that for your body brushing. You're supposed to brush before bathing, but I have horrifically dry skin and simply can't shower every day, it's still helpful to brush whether you're showering or not. I've noticed that it helps wake me up in the morning, and really is relaxing just before bed.

You're not really brushing, like you'd brush a horse or a dog, it's more like taking the brush across the surface of the skin in long steady strokes. You start at the bottom of your foot, go up your leg, I take it straight up to midline and do the entire leg the same way (obviously, doing both legs), then go to the arms, from the palm up the arm, over the shoulder, down the chest to the heart, and then the underside and back of the arm the same way. You brush down from your neck to your chest, up from the legs/buttocks to the midline. You want to cover every area of your body with the brush, brushing in ONLY one direction, never away from the heart. The lymphatic system doesn't have its own pump like blood, it relies on muscle action, but this definitely improves lymphatic circulation and you may notice some definite signs of detoxification within a few days of starting.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-05, 13:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, Candida friendly
Stats: 215/210/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Mistys Mom!

Thanks so much for clarifying this for me .... **What it does is stimulate lymphatic circulation, which aids in the elimination of toxins** and **The lymphatic system doesn't have its own pump like blood, it relies on muscle action, but this definitely improves lymphatic circulation and you may notice some definite signs of detoxification within a few days of starting.**

I was wondering why when I tried to work out a little, say but light aerobic work, the same day or next I would feel "fluish". It would take me a few days to a week to overcome this "fluish" feeling and feel normal again. My doc didnt explain it well and I am not to familuar with the lymphatic system. I told her how horrible I would feel after I worked out and it scared me. She just said to keep moving. Now that is real good to tell someone who is scared! Just explain, ya know??!!

I am glad this post came back up. Just the other day I was wondering where I saw this dry brushing stuff!

Now you said to keep this brush for your self so can I use it to shower with also or is it to just use for dry brushing?

Blessings,
Carol