Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-04, 08:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273.5/236.0/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalker
I dont think those tortillas are worth your life are they? There are plenty other low carb tortillas that are better than the mission and have no trasnfats in them. Try these for example:

http://www.netrition.com/tumaros_tortillas_page.html

very very good, and no transfats.

Hi - In terms of texture and "wrappability" what are the tumaros like? One of the problems I have with some of the wraps is that they are kind of dry. We did like the mission for their texture, but are mindful of the whole transfat issue. So, for example, we did not like the la tortilla factory brand. Anything you can tell me about the texture would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-04, 10:28

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecanPie
Hi - In terms of texture and "wrappability" what are the tumaros like? One of the problems I have with some of the wraps is that they are kind of dry. We did like the mission for their texture, but are mindful of the whole transfat issue. So, for example, we did not like the la tortilla factory brand. Anything you can tell me about the texture would be appreciated.

Thanks,

hey are very good, they usually hold up pretty well. If you put something in it thats really juicy it will start to fall apart.. but they are good if you eat them quickly.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-04, 10:55
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

The LaTortillas don't have transfats.... they are a little "gummy" but if you heat them in the microwave a few seconds and let them cool before using them, they're good, IMO.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-04, 11:15
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I just dug out the bag from my Doritos... partially hydrogenated oil was so far down the list that it came after onion powder....I wonder if this tiny trace is really enough to get wound up about at all. I'm choosing not to, but I'm wondering about others.....
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-04, 11:59

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 276.4/266.6/200 Female 5'8
BF:I've got some!!!
Progress: 13%

So the list is:AVOID THESE!!! Unless you already like them!
1.Special K LC cereal - contains partially hydrogenated oils
2.AdvantEDGE Morning Bars - contains partially hydrogenated oils
3.Carb options peanut butter
4.Total PROTEIN
5.Cheetos edge
6.Mission Low Carb Tortillas (I emailed them and told them to use nonhydrogenated lard)
7.Zcarb peanut butter bars
8.Carborite shortbread, peanut butter, and chocolate chip cookies
9.Cheetos Edge
10.Many of the low carb ice-creams
11.donut mixes in the Atkins magazine
12.Walden Farms "No Carbs" strawberry fruit spread
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-04, 13:37

BF:

HI - Thanks for the summary - and for initiating this thread!
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Aug-13-04, 01:00

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%

Bakenettes Pork Rinds....they're hard, disgusting, and stick like a lump in my throat when I try to swallow them. I don't have that problem with any other pork rinds.

Quite a few of the low-carb protein bars....it would be easier for me to mention the GOOD ones....

Pepsi and Coca-cola have new versions of their soda pop being touted as having half the carbs....half the sugar....AND IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE!!! They simply don't have any concept of what we're trying to do here....

Walden Farms chocolate syrup is DISGUSTING!!!
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Aug-13-04, 01:13

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%
Angry

Oh yes...I forgot....those low carb "cream of flax" cereals....feel like slime going down my throat....
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Aug-13-04, 02:19

Stats: 168/138/130 Female 5'4"
BF:?/27%/15% maybe?
Progress: 79%

ok..I have to say...I liked the cream of flax cereal (remind me of cream of wheat), and actually most of the flaxseedmeal cereals out there...Also...looks like I'm not the only one who said to watch out for those AWFUL donut mixes in the Atkins magazines (I wonder if they've ever tried them themselves?-I couldn't even get my kids to eat them!) And as far as the keto oatmeal is concerned...(ooooh, gags me just thinking about it)..I hope the strawberry cereal is better, I like their ketatoes, at least the flavored ones..haven't tried the plain ones. They do taste gross if you don't eat them immediately after preparing them though. So beware of that. Annie
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Aug-13-04, 09:21

Stats: 156/135/130 Female 5' 2
BF:22 %
Progress: 81%

I LOVED the Atkins Banana Nut muffins. IMO, they are better than "regular" banana nut muffins I used to make with all that disgusting flour and sugar.

Plus they are a great source of fiber. I take one to work and have a glass of soy milk for breakfast.
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-04, 00:14
Registered Member

Stats: 203/182/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalker
I dont think those tortillas are worth your life are they? There are plenty other low carb tortillas that are better than the mission and have no trasnfats in them. Try these for example:

http://www.netrition.com/tumaros_tortillas_page.html

very very good, and no transfats.

Worth my life? No. But do I really think a few tortillas a week are going to kill me? No, not really. We all make choices and no one is perfect in everything they do. I make a whole lot of healthy choices in my life (I've never smoked, I don't drink to speak of, I always wear my seat belt, I exercise every day, etc.). I'm willing to let this one thing slide.
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-04, 12:46

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 165/127/130 Female 5'7
BF: BMI:26%/20%/20%
Progress: 109%

One of the worst things I have tasted while being on the South Beach Diet is Sorbee sugar-free hard candies. SICK! I don't even know what to compare them to. They were just really gross and I am not by any means picky. It was like the 4th day I was on the diet and I am surprised I didn't just give up right then and there. My grandpa is diabetic and he also despises them. There are so many other really good sugar free hard candies (lifesavers and creamsavers) that I have no idea how they sell any.
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-04, 14:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rloveman
Worth my life? No. But do I really think a few tortillas a week are going to kill me? No, not really. We all make choices and no one is perfect in everything they do. I make a whole lot of healthy choices in my life (I've never smoked, I don't drink to speak of, I always wear my seat belt, I exercise every day, etc.). I'm willing to let this one thing slide.

Hi Robin - Your message resonated with me since I have never smoked and don't drink (hate the taste!) despite trying to like it for years. I do eat - I love to eat - and therein lies the problem that has led me to this WOL. Everything in life is about choices so if you want to eat tortilla's once in a while I say go for it.
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-04, 18:19

Plan: various
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:

Robin,
You might try these http://www.labrada.com/store/functionalfoods.htm because the texture is better (I do not think the Tumaros taste good at all, to me La Tortilla Factory's are better than those), however they need to make them larger to be more wrap friendly. It is not that I think it is a choice between your life and the Mission ones. More that it angers me to see transfats in low carb products when Atkins and Eades were amongst the first to protest their use.
Take care,
Mystique
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-04, 18:28
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 217/165/150 Female 5"6in
BF:
Progress: 78%

I tried the low carb keebler cookies that just came out and it tasted like foam or something. Iwasnt pleased after what I paid for them.