Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 10:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/190/135 Female 65"
BF:
Progress:
Default Acidophilus Question

I have heard so much about the benefits of Acidophilus for yeast overgrowth. I've also heard all acidophilus is not equal. Those of you who have gotten positive results, what brand name & how many are you taking???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 12:11

Plan: was Atkins now SB
Stats: 200/197.5/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:42/42/23
Progress: 10%

Actually I don't take acidophilus but I give it to my dogs!! It helps prevent ear infections which are yeast caused!! It works for them, So it should work for you. They each get 4 capsules a day. and if they have an ear infection I give them double.

I buy the Jameison brand (canada)
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 06:41

Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%

Dasani,

Look for live acidophilus in liquid or capsules in the cooler section of your vitamin store. Look for the brand with the fastest turnover that might be more fresh. Try to avoid those with the most carbohdrate fillers but some carb are necessary because that is what is keeping the acidophilus alive.

Kent
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 06:49

2 Airedales,

Dogs are carnivoires (meat eating only) but most of the dog food sold is mostly grains and sugars, a diet not much unlike what most people eat. Because of this obesity, diabetes and bowel diseases in dogs have become epidemic just like in people.

Put your dogs on a low-carbhoydrate, anti-Candida diet. Make sure the food has supplements including Omega-3 fatty acids. Watch for a adverse reaction if they are older dogs because they may be diabetic. Supplement with L-glutamine as is recommended by Dr. Atkins for diabetics and hypoglycemics.

Kent
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 12:33
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

In "Prescription for Nutritional Healing", the Balch's recommend that acidophilus alone is superior to blends of different types of bacteria. They state that there is potential for the different strains to deactivate each other. Look for a product that has at least 1 billion organisms per gram.

Acidophilus is best taken on an empty stomach, 1 hr before meals and at bedtime. The reason is because stomach acid secreted when food is eaten will kill the lactobacilli.

hth,

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 11:15
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hi everyone! I have been looking for a probiotic with just acidophilus in it but I can't seem to find one without maltodextrin. Please help. Can anyone recommend a brand without maltodextrin and with 1 billion live & refridgerated?

Also, should I also take the caprylic acid? Is it better in liquid or capsule form?

Thanks.

Peace
red
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 05:24

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 175/154/135 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

I have been Acidophilus Capsules to prevent yeast infections. I just started on Levoxyl 88mcg for hypothyroidism which needs to be taken on an empty stomach as well. Well they interfere with each other?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 00:24
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1cutie
Hi everyone! I have been looking for a probiotic with just acidophilus in it but I can't seem to find one without maltodextrin. Please help. Can anyone recommend a brand without maltodextrin and with 1 billion live & refridgerated?

Also, should I also take the caprylic acid? Is it better in liquid or capsule form?

hi Red,

I double-checked the Balch's book, and brands recommended are only available in the US. And I could not find any Canadian brands that are not combination products. The best you can do is to make sure there's no additives like the maltodextrin. Trophic brand does not contain any fillers, and is made in Canada.

As for the caprylic acid ... it might be best to let the probiotics do their thing first, and allow the gut bacteria to recolonize. You might find your symptoms lessened, and don't need the capricin after all. Caprylic acid can upset the stomach or cause diarrhea .. If you do start taking it, you might want to start at half, then work your way up to the full dosage recommended on the package.

hth,

Doreen
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 00:28
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona mcK
I have been Acidophilus Capsules to prevent yeast infections. I just started on Levoxyl 88mcg for hypothyroidism which needs to be taken on an empty stomach as well. Well they interfere with each other?

Levoxyl or any other thyroid hormone really should be taken apart from any other medicine, food or supplement .. otherwise there may be a risk that it's not absorbed properly.

I now take my thyroid pill mid-afternoon, so that there's no interference with supplements and what-not first thing in the morning.

hth,

Doreen
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 12:32

Plan: self invented mix of all
Stats: // Male 165
BF:I have no idea
Progress:

I am breeding my yoghurt with several strains.
If you buy capsules with Acidophilus, the microbes must be able to turn your milk into yoghurt, if you put it into a closed marmelade glass and breed them at temperatures of approx. 40 degrees Celcius and at least for 8 hours, better for 24 hours (to break down lactose). If the milk does not change into yoghurt and there is no mistake with temperature, then the microbes are dead. Sometimes they sell capsules without living microbes in it (B. t. w. few carbohydrates might remain with this method.)
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 14:03
Forum Founder

BF:

Acidophilus bacteria will not make yogurt. Yogurt specifically requires Streptoccus thermophilus and Lactobacillus bulgaricus in order to ferment and thicken. You need to use bacterial culture specifically made for making yogurt which will have the correct types in it.

Some commercial yogurts add acidophilus to yogurt after it's set, also bifidus and caseii bacteria are sometimes added after setting as well.

Doreen
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 14:09

Yogurt is a very bad choice as a source for acidophilus. Commercial products are much better because they contain very little carbohydrate. However, one must be cautious of old product that has dead cultures. The 24 hour yogurt still contains carbohydrates and lactose contrary to the claims of some books and yogurt machine vendors. Any yogurt is very bad for Candida yeast infections or any bowel disease because it feeds the pathogenic bacteria and yeast in the intestinal tract.

People on another message board continually report that the 24 hour "special" yogurt cause intestinal distress and causes a flare-up of their bowel disease. The advice to discontinue the yogurt and attempt to eat it after recovery never seems to works. It causes problems again. Apparently they are more interested in selling yogurt machines and yogurt starter than healing people.

The milk protein in yogurt can be a serious problem in autoimmune diseases like those of the intestinal tract.

Any yogurt is also a bad choice for inclusion in a weight loss program.

Everyone would be a lot healthier to simply skip the yogurt craze.

Kent
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 05:44

Progress:

hi all,

you need no yoghurt machine to make yoghurt.
you just need a cooling box, three bottles of hot water, some newspaper for additional isolation, the milk (or something else the bugs can eat) and a little cup of yoghurt with still living microbes inside. then you open the milkbottle put a tablespoon of the yoghurt into it, shake it well. put everything into the cooling box, if it is good isolated it will stay warm for 24 hours.
if you live in a hot region, you need not even the cooling box, you can just let the sun shine on milk with bugs. there is absolutely no reason for messing around with a useless machine and ridiculous tiny little glass cups you have to clean afterwards.

it goes very sour, so there is some break-down of the lactose - but who knows how much? btw. breaking down lactose can be improved by adding some water to the milk before breeding.
but do you have any idea how I can accurately measure how much carbs (=lactose) are left in my yoghurt after breeding?

~ Kent: you are against yoghurt and I completely understand your arguments, but I personally have good experiences with it - if it is properly made. besides, you need not to take animalīs motherīs milk for breeding bugs, because yoghurt can be made with different plant substrates.

~ doreen, you are right, these two strains are essential for classical yoghurt. but if you add acidophilus from your capsules into milk and breed it , then it should become sour or the microbes in the capsules have been stone-dead.

many greetings from oversea
The Duck

Last edited by The Duck : Wed, Aug-27-03 at 05:51.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 11:41

Quote:
Kent: you are against yoghurt and I completely understand your arguments, but I personally have good experiences with it - if it is properly made. besides, you need not to take animalīs motherīs milk for breeding bugs, because yoghurt can be made with different plant substrates.

Hi Duck,

I have no idea what you are talking about. I haven't had any bad experiences from yogurt, except it made me fat. My objections are strictly scientific data backed up by the experiences of others, especially those with an intestinal diseases.

What does "animal's mother's milk" mean? I don't have any problem against taking milk from animals except milk is not a healthy food for humans. When it comes to mother cows, sheep, pigs, deer, elk, etc., I would much rather eat both the mother and baby and pass up the milk and yogurt. I hope you didn't conclude I was a vegetarian simply because I recognize the unhealthy effects of milk and yogurt. Vegetarians object to milk for religious reasons. My objections are scientific. My links below will explain my dietary leaning which is strictly low-carb. Milk and yogurt are not low-carb foods.

Cheese is great. I eat about half a pound every day.

Kent
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 13:36

Progress:

Hi Kent,

it is only talk about bugs - I know many people who do not like milk or estimate it as not healthy. They breed in mixture of oat, almond, soya, rice, whatever they want. Another possibility is Water Kefir or Kombucha. I believe in tradional probiotics, yes! I AM almost a vegetarian myself, because I do not eat mammals and seldom birds!

About carbs or not carbs in long-breeded yoghurt there exist several contrasting opinions among experts. For this reason I would like to find out exact numbers, I would like to know how it could be measured! I am searching now for some time for this information. Perhaps a chemist could help?

Milk itself is not a low-carb thing for sure, but with real bulgarian yoghurt, which tastes much more sour than ours, I am not sure! Yoghurt is not yoghurt as much as cheese is not cheese, depends on bugs, breeding time, temperature, etc.

Kind regards from oversea
The Duck

PS: I think you are right with this ridiculous food pyramide, which seems pure invention!