Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-07-17, 08:58

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Arthritis Summit

Yet another free on-line summit, you know the drill by now but this one is about Arthritis

http://thearthritissummit.com/?idev...tm_source=10287

The invite was sent by Dr Perlmutter.

Quote:
The Arthritis Summit goes live this Monday, October 9th.

Tens of millions Americans suffer from this painful and debilitating condition that is inflammatory at its core. This summit being put on by my good friend and colleague Dr. Susan Blum who has dedicated a large part of her professional career to understanding arthritis.

Tens of thousands will be tuning in to learn how to treat the root causes of inflammation to help them return to a life that’s pain and medication free.

If arthritis is affecting you or someone close to you then I hope you'll tune in. What you could learn at The Arthritis Summit:
Nutritional advice and the role of the microbiome in arthritis
Stress and inflammation connection (and what to do about it!)
Infections and toxins that might be triggering symptoms
How to avoid unnecessary medications
Supplements and treatments that can truly be helpful And much more!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-07-17, 10:48

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

I signed up, thanks.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-08-17, 10:26

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

looks like there will be a few talks worth listening to!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-09-17, 12:29

It's on!

Use the following link each day if you don't get your email (you might have to clear your browser history): http://thearthritissummit.com/event
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-10-17, 02:50

I only had time for Dr Brady, I will have a full Encore Day next Monday.
Host said most of the talks will be about all the inflammatory types of Arthritis, or should we say the whole range of AutoImmune diseases, but they will have one day focused more on Osteoarthritis (maybe the third day?)
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-10-17, 08:09

rheumatoid runs in my family, so i'm mostly interested in the inflammatory types of arthritis. osteo is a completely different beast, it's kind of funny that they're lumped in together at all.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-16-17, 05:14

It's Encore Day starting now. My sister was visiting last week so I missed a lot...I'll be busy today You can still sign up and check out the ones of interest. All types of arthritis, auto-immune, osteoarthritis, a day on gut health, etc.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-17-17, 12:11

they extended the encore day. i've been listening while i'm working in the kitchen doing food prep. a lot of the talks that i've been listening to have been going over the importance of dealing with stress, mind/body connection, etc.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-17-17, 12:30

Thank goodness it was extended! I had skipped Dr Tom O'Bryan because have heard him before a number of times, but happy that I listened to it now. He says, Don't want to do the food sensitivity tests? Then No Gluten, No Dairy, No Sugar for three weeks...see how you feel. I need to be serious again about that no dairy part.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-24-17, 08:41

I'm still watching some of these each day. I copied the links into my journal and when I clicked on one after the second encore day, I had to submit my e-mail again. Then I opened each one in my browser and left them open. This means I can't read the NYT "free 10 articles a month" every day by clearing my history and shutting down my computer, but every time I think I'm going to just close them out, I hear something interesting and wonder what I'll miss.

I have to take notes to remember something I've heard and here are a few I've taken:

Even eating too much at one sitting will trigger an acute inflammatory response.

Didn't know that one.

"In our genes is the message for every cell for every tissue in every organ in our body at every age. That means that we are going to have to shut down a lot of messages in certain cells if we want the skin to be the skin and not the liver or the heart. " This is epigenetics. Above the genes.

Zinc research in animals - not zinc deficient, just lowered zinc (sub-optimal), after 3 generations, animals became more immunocompromised (more allergic, more arthritis) - took 6 generations to come back. Genes were not changed, but epigenetically something going on to cause erosion of genetic message. Are we in that situation? Eroding certain things in our gene expression?

That was Dr. Jeffery Bland in a discussion of epigenetics, which I found fascinating. It seems obvious that this could account for some of the obesity increase today, as I believe researchers are becoming more and more aware of children born to overweight mothers having more weight issues themselves, for instance. Not just overweight, but stress hormones, gut microbiome, etc. during pregnancy are also a factor. There was something about that in Dr. Perlmutter's Brain Maker, I believe.

We have 2.5 to 4 lbs of intestinal critters in our guts.

50% of immune system clustered in our intestinal tract. 10% of the weight of the liver is made up of immune cells.

The most dominant influence on the composition of a microbiome are phytochemicals from a plant food diet. Polyphenols, grapes, berries, certain vegetables important for maintenance of akkermansia.

Polyphenols are a type of prebiotics.

Akkermansia, as we know, is implicated in obesity.

Anybody else have something particularly interesting jump out that them?
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-24-17, 14:26

Just watched Wendy Myers, "Using NES to Repair Joint Damage". Anyone else watch that one? I was interested in this electrical field stuff because I've been having joint pain this fall that I didn't have in the summer, and I suspect my electric mattress pad. Obvious test is to turn it off, but I love that warm bed in a cold room.

Anyway, the Bioenergetics program that she uses consists of a scanner that you buy for $60 that you put your hand on for one second. Then software on your computer transmits the scan to your practitioner, and they have another device that reads it. It's supposed to identify energy blockages, emotional trauma among other things...in the order that they are to be addressed. The practitioner will treat you with this other gadget, a pulsed electromagnetic field biofeedback device. There are also "infoceuticals", http://store.liveto110.com/infoceuticals/ which are "filtered water and plant derived micro-minerals" with information imprinted on them. Really? Really? Information imprinted on water? All "very inexpensive", Wendy says, about $200 to $250 a month. Some relief happens quickly at first but then usually takes about 2 years for effective healing.

Wow, talk about a revenue source. (She says she's not taking new patients.)

NES: https://www.neshealth.com/

I used to do EFT, which also has to do with energy fields and tapping. I really gave it a go and concluded it was b.s.

OTOH, I have some respect for acupuncture, though I've never tried it. I had an aunt who was misshapen and in chronic pain from childhood polio and she told my mother once that acupuncture was the only thing that helped her.

I suspect too that EMF might be dangerous to some extent, but am skeptical of such things as her product she sells ($150) that is a pyramid with crystals inside that is supposed to protect you from EMF within an 18 meter radius. If so, then why all the other products?

Dr. Joseph Mercola is one of her clients. And Ben Greenfield.

Decoding the Human Body-Field: The New Science of Information as Medicine, by Peter H. Fraser, and Harry Massey is the book she recommends for more information.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-17, 03:58

Thank you JL for all this information! Must bookmark this thread for the next Summit to try your viewing tips. I never truly recovered the lost days when we had guests. No interest in electromagnetic anything, but I did have an active release massage on the knee that is acting up and am searching for an quality acupuncturist.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-17, 04:59

Our power went out last night and after everything reloaded, I had lost my access. So I guess I'm done now after all. Kinda sorry now I wasn't more selective in what I did listen to.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-17, 07:54

thanks for your summaries, JLx, some of the speakers that i listened to were a bit on the woo side. i feel the same way about eft--i had an occupational therapist recommend it for my autistic son and he refused to even try it because it was so ridiculous. i know some people swear by it, but ...
i haven't listened to all of the speakers yet either--i use a browser extension to back up online content so that i can listen when i don't have wifi (but don't tell anyone, LOL ) Sometimes the summits can sound a bit like hour-long infomercials and i find it more educational to track down the audiobooks by the better speakers and listen to those instead. right now i'm listening to undoctored, and i want to try to fit in the last session of mark hyman's broken brain series-- http://brokenbrain.com/07-ultramind1/