Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#271   ^
Old Fri, May-04-07, 09:19
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi Babes! I haven't caught up on this thread yet, but I wanted you to know I haven't fallen off the face of the earth. Those who read my journal know LOTS of thing have been going on with me lately and I've been gone (without computer access) a good bit too. Anyhow, I'm here and I'm still supporting your efforts.

As for me, my time away from the gym has snowballed into WAY too long and it's been hard to get back. But today I finally did it! I need to find a good "new" workout...you know how when you're away from something you have a start fresh? Well that's my plan and part of it involves a lot of core strengthening and alternative classes versus just weight training itself. (I plan to use that to supplement.)

Details are in my gym log http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...532#post6753532

I plan to check back in with you this coming week. Have a great weekend!
Sponsored Links
  #272   ^
Old Fri, May-18-07, 14:01
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Hi again! I can't believe I was the last one to post here! I guess we've all gotten pretty busy. Anyhow, I'm just checking in with everyone to see how their weight/resistance training is going.

I've backed off on the hardcore stuff I was doing, but I'm still using basic weight machines (just 1-2 times per week) but doing quite a bit of resistance work via my own ab/core work, and yoga and pilates (as well as water aerobics). I'm also using handweights at home when I do walking DVDs. So I'm trying to maintain the strength I've developed at the very least.

Hope everyone is well. Stay strong!
  #273   ^
Old Wed, May-23-07, 02:23

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Hey Babes! Thought everyone might be interested in this article which explains why resistance training might not just give us stronger muscles; it might give us younger muscles as well

Exercise 'reverses' muscle ageing
  #274   ^
Old Wed, May-30-07, 12:53

BF:

Looks deserted in here! LOL, where is everyone?

Just thought I'd report on what I've been doing. Have finally got myself back on track with workouts ... I was working out to some extent, mainly power walking, but very little lifting.

Anyway, I've gone back to my first love, the Body Sculpting Bible, for my lifting routine. This means that I'm doing three full body workouts each week, with cardio (interval training)/abs training in between. Sunday is my rest day, though I still walk the dog 3 or 4 miles.

I'm also currently following the Fat Flush Plan by Anne Louise Gittleman

I'm finding it quite hard; it's more low fat than I've been used to, plus I've had to cut out all dairy, which has also been difficult. But I am seeing results, so as long as it gets the job done, I'll suck it up.

Part of the FFP protocol is daily bouncing on the rebounder, so I'm doing that for around 5-10 minutes a day.

Hope some of you other Babes will stop by soon
  #275   ^
Old Thu, May-31-07, 08:34

BF:

From Alwyn Cosgrove's lastest newsletter:

Quote:
6 Ways to Get Maximum Results in Minimum Time

Step 1 : Train efficiently
Strength training is a very efficient type of exercise, giving you many benefits with a small amount of exercise. Unless you are a competitive bodybuilder or powerlifter, you can still get the same benefits by reducing the number of sets per exercise in your workout from 3 to 1-2. That will help you maintain muscle and strength while significantly reducing your training time.
Interval training is another economical form of exercise. Rather than following up your strength training with 45 minutes on the treadmill, you can get the same (or better!) fat burning results from a much shorter period (20 minutes) of interval training.

Step 2 :Cut the junk
We need to ask ourselves, "Will this help me or not? Is this a positive step or not?" So unless you can justify doing 3 exercises for triceps, then cut the junk from your workout and focus on efficient exercises only.

Step 3 : Warm-up as a workout
You don't need to spend 10 minutes on the treadmill before you strength train. Instead, you need to prepare specifically for what you are about to do. If your walk to the gym is more than a couple of minutes, you can go right into specific warm-up sets for your strength training exercises.

Step 4 : Whole body vs. split routines
Don't be a slave to the bodybuilder magazine plans that have you doing chest and arms on Mondays. This eliminates any excuse to skip workouts when you deviate from your weekly schedule. Plan your holiday workouts to train either your entire body in one session or alternate between upper body and lower body workouts.

Step 5 : Train your abs with every exercise
The 15 minutes of sit-ups you do each day is a waste of time and is damaging to your lower back. Instead of wasting away on the floor, approach every exercise as an abdominal exercise. Brace your abs (like someone was about to punch you in the stomach) and never let your low back 'round'. This body posture is especially important for exercises such as the abdominal plank, squats, push-ups, and all standing exercises.

Step 6 : Plan your workouts
Don't go into the gym without a clue and end up on the cardio machine for an hour because you didn't know where to start.
In my workout system, each workout follows an efficient and effective template to get in and out of the gym in under an hour. You can also choose to do a weights-only or intervals-only workout, therefore cutting even more time off of your trip to the gym.
  #276   ^
Old Thu, May-31-07, 09:11
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Thanks good info Demi!! Thanks!!

I did my workout last night with my trainer and my shoulder muscles are really popping out.....my swimming days have made my shoulder muscles very responsive. I'm working on my flabby upper arms a lot...hoping to improve my batwings!
  #277   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-07, 12:29

BF:

Hey Judy ... good to see you posting here

That's great about your shoulders ... defined muscles always look good I know what you mean about 'swimmer's shoulders'; mine are the same after years of competitive swimming in my youth!

I'm just stopping by to post the link to Tom Venuto's latest Body Building & Fitness Secrets newsletter:

In This Issue (#58)
  • Editorial: The Wit, Wisdom And One Liners of Coach John Wooden - The Best Success Advice You'll Ever Hear
  • Ask Tom Q & A of The Month: "1,000 Crunches And Sit Ups a Day And Still No Abs! What Should I Do?"
  • Article of The Month: The Great Before And After Hoax: Why You Shouldn't Believe The Photos By Tina Juan
  • Monthly Motivator: A Matter Of "Knowing That Already" By John Harricharan
  • Motivational Quotes of The month

http://www.tomvenuto.com/newsletter...sletter58.shtml
  #278   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-07, 11:57
Taking MY Turn

BF:

HI babes! I've been meaning to come back and say hello, but my time is not my own lately and what time I've had I've been posting in my journal and the pregnancy threads...sorry!

But to give you an update, I HAVE continued my exercise fairly regularly but somewhat sporadically because, although I'm feeling WONDERFUL (no morning sickness, etc) my fatigue is extreme and I'm trying to listen to my body.

Instead of a strict schedule, I have more like a buffet list of options I give myself. I have Tuesday water aerobics (which I missed today because of a doc appt.) and Friday Pilates (which I adore and have only missed once in many weeks because I was dizzy/tired). Other times I may do the basic weight circuit (full body, standard "safe" machines that keep me aligned, versus free weights) and some cardio. I'm also still doing push-ups, though they're getting harder again! UGH LOL

When I'm struggling to get to the gym, I've used my good, old home workout "go-to" of Leslie Sansone's walkaerobics. What's nice is that she has a bunch of them that include decent resistance training within the aerobic workout...like my fave that I've been doing lately called "Walk Strong" comprised of intervals of handweight work and squats. I didn't enjoy Yoga as much, so I stopped going...but I'm like a duck to water with Pilates, and I adore my instructor (who will help me modify as I progress). I've basically given myself permission to just "do what I can" and stay active at least a "few times a week". Considering the rest of the time I've been shooting weddings or driving hours to clean my Mom's house or cleaning my own house and staying active that way, I'd say I'm doing fine!

Demi and Judy, I'm delighted to see you still working with weights and seeing the results. Demi, I'm SO impressed you're doing the FFP...that's hardcore, but it's no wonder you're losing. Good for you!

I'll try to be in touch again soon. Stay strong and remember how good strength/resistance training is for ALL of us, no matter how we eat or what we're trying to accomplish!

P.S. I started off having a few more carbs than I'd planned, but I've eased down into something comfy around 50 net per day and about 2,000 cals per day, give or take. Mostly I'm just concentrating on eating the same good, nutritious, wholesome and as organic-as-possible foods as I did before. I saw my doc today to discuss bloodwork, which came back near perfect and have gained about 4 lbs so far, which she's thrilled with!
  #279   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-07, 12:30
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Hey preggo lady!!

Hope that you are feeling well!! I've heard that yoga is great for you preggos!!

I worked out last night with my trainer. We are becoming good friends...its fun to workout with him. I'm starting to increase my weights on some of the machines....and the dumbells too. I did my first set of leg thrusts at 115 lbs...second set at 135.

I'm seeing a big difference in my overall conditioning and strength. I'm a slow learned so it never occurred to me that training would make my life better and easier...not just trying to make my body look better.

Its all good!!
  #280   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-07, 04:08

BF:

Damn, damn, damn!

Saw my doctor this morning because my left shoulder and wrist are still playing up. I last saw him about this a couple of months ago, and he put me on anti-inflammatories. At the time, he said to rest my wrist and to stop doing pushups and bench dips … in fact, anything that put a strain on my wrist and shoulder. This also meant that I had to stop doing my yoga class.

After a month, I felt that I was able to weight train again, and was fine as long as I didn’t do anything to bend my wrist back. However, in the last few weeks, the pain has returned and even though I’ve been careful with the weights, I’ve obviously set it off again.

I’m now not allowed to go anywhere near any weights, until this is sorted out. This also includes Body Pump classes, and anything else that involves putting stress on the shoulder or wrist. I just hope that the healing and 'resting' doesn't take too long

I have to go back to see him next week for cortisone injections and he has referred me to a physio.

In the meantime, I have been thinking about doing the Couch-to-5K running programme, so perhaps this might be a good time to give it a go, while I rest my shoulder and wrist.
  #281   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-07, 09:45
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Hey Judy! How exciting that you have come into your own with weight workouts. You are experiencing what I did...where I realized suddenly I was picking up laundry baskets easier and schlepping camera equipment better and LOTS of other "life stuff" other than just looking good in my jeans. LOL I'm so happy about your progress!!

As for me, I tried the yoga thing, but it was uncomfortable...at least the class I was attending was...so I'll just concentrate on some basic stretches at home. But I found a pilates class I adore, so that's been a wonderful addition to my overall workout plan.

Demi, I just read the news in your journal and posted there. You obviously know the value of weight/resistance training, but your body is telling you "no" right now and instead of trying to push for maybe, you need to back off. I'm frustrated for you but I think you have the right idea. Keep active and focused on other activities that you CAN do and maybe try to do some resistance work that won't bother you (like forearm planks and squats?) and just hang in there until you can get back to weights!
  #282   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-07, 13:38

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 153.0/144.8/130.0 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 36%

Hey ladies....anyone here......it's been a while.

I have been hitting the weights steadily and trying to get my eating on track!! That is so much harder to me than exercising! I like the way I feel when after I exercise, but I also like the way I feel when I EAT!!!!
  #283   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-07, 07:37

BF:

Have just read this: Find your fitness zone, and thought that I'd post the link here for anyone else to read if they're interested.

It's good to see a 'mainstream' gym that advocates muscle training as the way to go
  #284   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-07, 13:24
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hey babes!

Demi, hope the shoulder/wrist feel better. How annoying for you. I have to watch my right wrist, esp with push ups and yoga moves. I've been doing some exercises to increase grip strength, thinking they may help my wrist.

Lisa, congrats!!!! Wow!!!

I just got a copy of New Rules of Lifting and I love it. Starting the plan next week. Been keeping it simple lately in the gym, mainly compund moves like squats and pull ups.
  #285   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-07, 16:26

Plan: semi-low carb
Stats: 127/127/114 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default wayward sis

Where did you find the Hillary Swank muscular, toned pic? It is phenomenal! I want to look like that.

I haven't seen Million Dollar Baby. Do you recommend it?