Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#256   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-07, 10:10

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 175/167.7/139 Female 5'6''
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Personal Trainer Issues

Today, I went weight training with my personal trainer and we started out on my first set of exercises. He notcied that it was to easy for me and he asked if the other trainers were taking me to failure. I told him no. He said that they should be. I was a little bummed that the other trainers were failing in there job with me. My trainer today told me that some of the other woman that work out in the gym don't want to be pushed to failure. they want to do 2 sets of 15 and then be done. when the weight gets heavier, they tell the trainers its to heavy. So today, the trainer told me to always tell my trainers to push me to failure. Also, he had to raise the weight on EVERYTHING because it was all to light. I have noticed that with other trainers, if they see me struggling they think the weight is to heavy and they want me to have correct form so they lower it and do more reps. I'm okay with that. but becasue I'm so new, i tend to struggle with everything! Even if it is light. I'm trying to fix it by engaging my abs in every excersice and stablelize myself. But i don't always do it perfectly.
Basically, there are no female trainers and I feel there is a biased with some of the trainers to not push girls to hard. Now, it may be because women have told them not to push them hard. But I don't want that. So from now on I'm going to tell them to push me to failure everytime! It's a little frustrating. I thought by getting personal trainers I would be held accountable but it looks like I have to hold THEM accountable. Not what I payed for.
Sponsored Links
  #257   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-07, 12:04
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hey KatieAZ. I must say this quote hit home
Quote:
I thought by getting personal trainers I would be held accountable but it looks like I have to hold THEM accountable. Not what I payed for.

It's annoying, but it's like our own medical care and everything else in life...WE are the ones that must be ever vigilant. Of course you rely on them to give you good advice and it sounds like this last one made a lot of sense. It is aggravating when you realize you've been doing things wrong, isn't it? But the good news is you're now on the right track, you have our support and you're doing really well. I can't believe how long I went without weight training at all...buying into the hype about cardio!! Never again. But all I can do is look forward. Thanks for sharing this with us, it's a great reminder for us all.
  #258   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-07, 09:27

BF:

Hey ladies.

Went to PT today. Had a good workout. I told him to push me to failure and he did!
Went to a two hour swim practice on Sunday. Felt really good! But I was a blob the rest of the day. That's okay though. it was sunday. Hope everyone else is doing stupendous!!!
  #259   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-07, 21:58
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hi babes!

Sorry been MIA from this thread. Been hitting the gym regularly though. Feel like I should add in some HIIT - I'm only doing strength work now - but we'll see!

I'm noticing some definition in my shoulders and arms. Woo hoo!

Demi I love your pic.
  #260   ^
Old Wed, Apr-18-07, 08:51

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Feel like I should add in some HIIT - I'm only doing strength work now - but we'll see!
Sounds like a good idea. I think HIIT a couple times a week, along with your weight training would be great.
Quote:
Excellent!
  #261   ^
Old Tue, Apr-24-07, 13:09

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Thought this might be of interest, from this week's T-Nation newsletter:

Quote:
Mini-Article: 6 Basic Essentials
by Chad Waterbury

1) Frequency

Each body part should be trained twice per week. I've learned that anyone, regardless of recovery ability or experience, can benefit from upping the training frequency of each body part to twice every week.

2) Exercise Selection

Compound, multi-joint exercises such as squats, deadlifts, presses, and rows should make up at least 75% of your total exercises. If not, you're wasting your time on isolation exercises that aren't demanding enough on your neuromuscular system to have any real physique-enhancing benefits. I must stress that 75% is an absolute minimum. Spending 100% of your time on compound exercises is an excellent idea!

3) Set/Rep Volume

As a general rule of thumb for inexperienced trainees, I like to use a set/rep volume in the 24 to 30 range. For example, 8 x 3 or 3 x 8 per body part works well for the lower end of the range. A set/rep scheme of 10 x 3 or 3 x 10 works well for the upper end range. I recommend you start with a volume of around 24 and increase from there if you feel your recovery allows for it. (Just multiply the sets by the reps to get your number.)

4) Training Intensity

The only time you should flirt with failure is on the last rep of the last set for each body part. If you reach failure before that time, decrease the load by 5% for the next workout (using the same method) the following week. If you don't feel like you're approaching failure on the last rep of the last set, increase the load 5% for the next workout the following week.

5) Method Cycling

The simplest way to alternate training methods (sets and reps) without driving yourself into a frenzy is to simply switch the set/rep scheme for the subsequent workout for the same upper or lower body training day. In other words, if you performed 8 x 3 on day one for upper body, switch to 3 x 8 for the next upper body workout of the week.

6) Lifting Tempo

Don't worry about it. As long as you use proper form and control the lifting and lowering phase, you'll be fine. Focus your mental energy on moving the load instead of counting the rep tempo.

... and there was also a link to a great article about Power Foods. Apart from pumpkin, I definitely eat all of those items on a regular basis

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieAZ
Went to PT today. Had a good workout. I told him to push me to failure and he did!

That's good to hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardsis

Isn't that great! I love seeing the definition in my shoulders and arms (and various other places) ... though my arms would look so much better if my under-arms weren't so flabby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardsis
Demi I love your pic.

Thanks

Hope everyone is working out and having fun
  #262   ^
Old Wed, Apr-25-07, 10:45

BF:

From Dr John Briffa's blog:

Quote:
Resistance exercise may help to protect us from diabetes

Posted By Dr John Briffa On 23rd April 2007 ~ 09:44

One condition that we are warned is on dramatic rise is type 2 diabetes. This condition, is characterised by raised levels of sugar (glucose) in the bloodstream, and is usually caused by a failure of the body to make adequate amounts of insulin and/or impaired insulin function (insulin resistance). Type 2 diabetes is believed to be very much a lifestyle-related condition, with diet and exercise being two major players in this respect.

As a general rule, I recommend those wanting to reduce their risk of type 2 diabetes to eat a relatively carbohydrate-restricted diet. What this means in practice is a diet low in foods with added sugar as well as low in certain starchy foods that tend to disrupt blood sugar and insulin levels such as potatoes, bread and many breakfast cereals. Regular activity is to recommended for those seeking to protect themselves from type 2 diabetes too.

Traditionally, those with or at risk of developing type 2 diabetes have been encouraged to engage in regular ‘aerobic’ exercise, such as brisk walking, jogging, cycling or swimming. However, in a study published recently in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition the effects of ‘resistance’ exercise was tested with regard to its ability to improve the ability of individuals to handle glucose in the body [1].

Resistance exercise (such as weight-lifting, press-ups and sit-ups) helps to maintain and build muscle-mass in the body. In this recent study, individuals in their early 60s engaged in 3 resistance exercise sessions per week for 12 weeks. All individuals were instructed to eat a diet that contained protein at levels slightly higher than is traditionally recommended. The programme led to a significant improvement in the individuals’ ability to handle glucose – something that is generally taken to be a sign of reduced susceptibility to type 2 diabetes.

What this study shows is that a diet reasonably rich in protein, coupled with some resistance exercise may have considerable potential in terms of regulating blood sugar levels, and this has important implications for health in the long term. It is worth bearing in mind that increased muscle mass is believed to help maintain our metabolic rate – which essentially makes it easier for us to maintain a healthy weight.

While aerobic exercise is traditionally recommended for those seeking to protect themselves from chronic disease, this latest study reminds us of the benefits to be had from resistance exercise too.

References:

1. Iglay HB, et al. Resistance training and dietary protein: effects on glucose tolerance and contents of skeletal muscle insulin signaling proteins in older persons. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007;85(4):1005-13.

http://www.drbriffa.com/blog/2007/0...-from-diabetes/

Dr John Briffa is a qualified medical doctor, with a special interest in nutritional and naturally-oriented medicine. He is also an advocate of the low carb woe:
Quote:
"Compared to the typical Western diet, the Atkins’ diet and other low-carb approaches are much more in keeping with the diet we, as a species, are best suited to from a genetic, metabolic, biochemical and physiological perspective".
  #263   ^
Old Thu, Apr-26-07, 12:31

BF:

Was directed to this site Busy Womens Fat Loss Series by a newsletter from Rachel Cosgrove.

It's a series of podcasts by various fat loss experts, including Rachel and also Craig Ballantyne (of Turbulence Training fame). You can also read more about it here.

So far, I've listened to both Valerie Waters and Chris Mohr's contributions and have picked up some really great tips from them both.
  #264   ^
Old Thu, Apr-26-07, 12:52

BF:

thanks Demi, for all your articles! I love reading them.
Well, I started working out at LA fitness. It's pretty nice. I plan on buying the Womens Body Sculpting Bible soon. I still have PT sessions. So I'm going to go two times a week to PT and three times on my own. Hope everyone's weight training is going well!
  #265   ^
Old Thu, Apr-26-07, 12:54

Plan: semi-low carb
Stats: 127/127/114 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
Thought this might be of interest, from this week's T-Nation newsletter:

... and there was also a link to a great article about Power Foods. Apart from pumpkin, I definitely eat all of those items on a regular basis

Thanks for sharing the link to Power Foods. Great article. Definitely great foods.

I just saw a can of pumpkin in my pantry. I don't recall off hand, but I was surprised the carbs weren't as high as I would have thought. I think it was the fiber that brought down the total amount. It seems like it would be a difficult food for people to integrate regularly into their food plan.
  #266   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-07, 14:58
Strong Chicks Rock!!

Plan: Atkins (total, not net)
Stats: 194/151.2/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35.8%/19%/17%
Progress: 97%

Galatia...I recognize you from BLC. (You'll recognize my plan in my logs as well. Built is great!)

I thought I'd join the thread since I lifting. I've only read a few pages, but I'm going to go back and read through the whole thread.

I just joined this board yesterday and I'm really liking it so far.
  #267   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-07, 16:52
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie
Basically, there are no female trainers and I feel there is a biased with some of the trainers to not push girls to hard. Now, it may be because women have told them not to push them hard. But I don't want that. So from now on I'm going to tell them to push me to failure everytime! It's a little frustrating. I thought by getting personal trainers I would be held accountable but it looks like I have to hold THEM accountable. Not what I payed for.

Hi Ladies!!

Sorry I haven't posted much to you guys lately...just been way too busy in my life.

I'd like to talk a bit about what Katie speaks of here. I work with one trainer only and I do have to keep pushing him to correct my form BUT..I told him early on to push me by raising the weights...that I want to be challenged and he has complied with my wishes....now if I can get him to just show up on time!!

So if its necessary, keep telling them to challenge you....if you feel like its too much or you have an injury, then YOU are the one to say Stop!!

Yes, Lisa, its just like with the medical doctors, they will only be as good for us as we manage them to be. Same with trainers or anyone else that works with us on our bodies. we must maintain a hyper vigilance about what they do and say to us re: our bodies. Even getting a manicure...I tell them how I want it done!! Sheeesh...I do sound like a total bitch!!!

Hope that you are all enjoying the lovely spring weekend.
  #268   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-07, 02:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieAZ
Well, I started working out at LA fitness. It's pretty nice. I plan on buying the Womens Body Sculpting Bible soon. I still have PT sessions. So I'm going to go two times a week to PT and three times on my own.

LOL, I'm just about to start working out at LA Fitness here in the UK too!

DD and her friend joined during the week, and I was very impressed with the list of classes and how cheap monthly membership seemed to be. So I decided to go and have a look around, and signed up there and then.

Although I will still continue using the gym at work, because I enjoy working out in my lunch hour, I’ve been feeling for a while that I need more than it can offer. It’s very basic and there aren’t any classes as such, for example.

LA Fitness, on the other hand, has everything I want and more. It has a fabulous weights room. Like many gyms it has all the various weight machines, but it also has a large free weights section … looking forward to actually using a squat rack at last.

Plus, an hour’s induction, and a ˝ hour session once a month with a Personal Trainer are included in the price … additional sessions can be booked for a fee.

One of the PTs is a C.H.E.K certified trainer, and was really pleased to meet someone that actually knew what that meant … and he was also impressed that I had read, and had my own copy of Eat, Move and Be Healthy.

I’m trying out my first class later today … Body Pump, which (for those who might not know) is a resistance class using barbells and adjustable weights. I’m also planning on having a swim and a sauna.

Also looking forward to taking some Pilates classes again.

I'm planning on continuing with following Tom Venuto's Intermediate WO from BFFM, but I'll also be adding in various classes etc to take my training up a level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena11
Thanks for sharing the link to Power Foods. Great article. Definitely great foods.

I just saw a can of pumpkin in my pantry. I don't recall off hand, but I was surprised the carbs weren't as high as I would have thought. I think it was the fiber that brought down the total amount. It seems like it would be a difficult food for people to integrate regularly into their food plan.

You're welcome!

After reading your comment about the can of pumpkin, it did occur to me that I could perhaps mix canned pumpkin with my cottage cheese or put it in a shake. I'll have to buy a can and try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyGSDs
I thought I'd join the thread since I lifting. I've only read a few pages, but I'm going to go back and read through the whole thread.

I just joined this board yesterday and I'm really liking it so far.

Hi Stacie, and welcome to the WT Babes thread It's always great to see another lifting fan posting here.

Plus, I see that you're another dog lover - which quite a few of us who post here are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Sorry I haven't posted much to you guys lately...just been way too busy in my life.

I'd like to talk a bit about what Katie speaks of here. I work with one trainer only and I do have to keep pushing him to correct my form BUT..I told him early on to push me by raising the weights...that I want to be challenged and he has complied with my wishes....now if I can get him to just show up on time!!

Hey Judy, good to see you posting

Interesting that everyone seems to have to keep telling their trainer to push them ... although I don't think Lisa had to with hers.

I wonder if it'll be the same with me ... though the PTs I met yesterday all seemed far too keen not to push; especially the CHEK trained guy.

BTW, saw this in the latest T-Nation newsletter … definitely one for the ladies!
  #269   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-07, 10:51
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
Interesting that everyone seems to have to keep telling their trainer to push them ... although I don't think Lisa had to with hers.

I wonder if it'll be the same with me ... though the PTs I met yesterday all seemed far too keen not to push; especially the CHEK trained guy.

I think that it has to do with the fact that as relative newbies, we can injure ourselves if we do too much too soon. They are taught to be conscious of injuries.

When I do pullups, I've got to be very aware of my right shoulder as I have an old rotator cuff injury from years of overhitting that tennis ball. The minute I said it was hurting, right in the middle of a set, he told me to stop and I already had stopped!!

I'm glad to hear that you're going to work with a trainer or trainers Demi!!

I'm going to wog with Daisy today!!
  #270   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-07, 15:44

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
I think that it has to do with the fact that as relative newbies, we can injure ourselves if we do too much too soon. They are taught to be conscious of injuries.

When I do pullups, I've got to be very aware of my right shoulder as I have an old rotator cuff injury from years of overhitting that tennis ball. The minute I said it was hurting, right in the middle of a set, he told me to stop and I already had stopped!!

I'm glad to hear that you're going to work with a trainer or trainers Demi!!

I'm going to wog with Daisy today!!

Yes, that's true with regard to newbies. I also think that it could be that they might not want to make the workout too hard in case their client doesn't come back the next week!

On the other hand, the reason I am considering using a personal trainer is that I feel I have become 'lazy' with regard to my weight training workouts, and I'm looking for someone to push me as hard as they can.

Saying that, I did work out hard last night. I took the body pump class, and it was a lot harder than I thought it would be. As I lift weights anyway, I really thought it would be a walk in the park … no such luck!

An hour of lifting weights is quite a slow process, with rests between sets etc. Body pump, however, is a continuous workout, no stopping … effectively a cardio workout with weights. I also made the mistake of loading up my bar with fairly high weights to start with … weights that are fine to me when I’m lifting, but, as I soon found out, overload for a body pump class.

Despite that, it was fun and I really felt that I had worked hard during that hour. The instructor was great, very helpful too. Will be taking this class on a regular basis from now on.

If anyone's interested, you can access the latest edition of Tom Venuto's newsletter here.