Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-01-15, 17:41
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Eat to Live Forever with Giles Coren

In a quest for longevity, Giles Coren explores and tries three different diets:
  • Calorie Restriction with Paul and Meredith McGlothin
  • Low carb Paleo at Primal Con with Mark Sisson. Also visits raw paleo dieter Derek Nance where they slaughter a goat and have a meal of raw organ meats.
  • Fruitarianism with random people in a park
He consults his doctor after each one. Paleo was the only diet that he said made him feel better but his ignorant doctor tells him it'll kill him. It may make you thin on the outside but you'll be fat on the inside. She tells him that not only will it raise your cholesterol but it'll make your ratios worse.

He then interviews Bernando LaPallo, a 113 year old man who eats a somewhat calorie restricted diet of fish, vegetables, and fruit. He concludes that this diet has elements of CR and fruitarianism but no Paleo at all. WTF? Fish and vegetables is definitely Paleo!! Just don't eat too much fruit.

Was entertaining but quite misinformative.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-01-15, 18:05

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

http://www.abc15.com/news/region-so...-live-long-life

Quote:
"People ask me what do you do to stay so young," LaPallo explained. "I say, 'Well you've heard the old saying, you are what you eat.'"

So what's LaPallo's secret? Five foods: garlic, honey, cinnamon, chocolate and olive oil.

"Use olive oil on your skin," LaPallo said. "Rub your feet rub your arms you'll never rust."

Healthy habits LaPallo picked up from his father, a doctor, who lived to be 98.

"He told me not to eat ordinary red meat," expressed LaPallo. "He said lamb is okay but red meat, stay away from it. Hot dogs, french fries and all those things don't eat it."

Um... genes?

And the fact that a diet has fruit in it does not mean that a diet has elements of fruitarianism. I breathe, but that doesn't mean my diet has elements of breatharianism.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-01-15, 18:41

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I could find a hundred centenarians who swear by red meat and drink soda. N=1 isn't much of a guideline.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-07-15, 12:09

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

I've read a lot of articles about centenarians, and most of them ate whatever they damned well pleased, smoked for years, drank too much, etc. A lot of them do have family members who also lived very long lives, so yes, genes.