Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-12-09, 11:12

Plan: CAD & LC
Stats: 203/182/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 49%
Question CAD & CALP

Well, I just finished reading the CALP book. I'm not impressed. I'm very curious as to why they changed the diet to begin with? Then I understand that the Healthy For Life one cuts out the one hour reward meal. I'm just having a hard time with it all because I followed CAD and lost 52 lbs. so I know it works. Is anyone else baffled by all the changes from book to book?
Cara
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-12-09, 16:12
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi Cara-
I think that many people were confused by some of the stuff in CAD and did not pay attention to the idea of balancing the RM. I think the Hellers just clarified in CALP and updated based on their continued clinical and research experiences. JMHO.

I'm so glad CAD works for you- can you tell us more about you and your story?

E
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-13-09, 08:34

Plan: Atkins now CAD
Stats: 224/195.8/160 Female 170
BF:
Progress: 44%

Hi CAD4Life

Did you lose the weight last time just eating what you liked during the RM or did you balance it? My advice would be to do the same as last time as it obviously worked!

I have also read the CALP and would much prefer to stick to the original CAD. I have found it an easy switch from Atkins and like the flexibility of being able to eat sensibly and without binging but not having to be rigid with percentages etc. - I have had nine months of that with Atkins.

Anyway, I'm with you and am sticking to CAD and am very interested to hear how you did it the first time. I have read lots of success stories from people that ate exactly what they pleased during that hour and rigidly stuck to plan at the CMs.

Best wishes, Zara xx
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-13-09, 09:59

BF:

Thanks for your replies! I loaned my CAD book out and never got it back so I just reordered one from Amazon. Just to refresh my memory. I originally started this diet in March of '96. I had been doing Atkins for a short time when a co-worker of mine turned me on to the Hellers. I couldn't believe it would work. But 52 lbs. lost and it sure did. I had lost approx. 7 of those following Atkins. It was just too strict for me and I was having pains in my kidneys. Finding the Hellers book was like heaven to me. It was always so easy to follow. I found through trials that if I ate just 30 g. of carbs during my CMs that I would go into ketosis right around dinner time but then my RM would blow that of course. I guess I kind of always combined the diets by taking just one day a week where I restrict my carbs to just 30 all day and let those ketones do their work but the next day I go back to CAD because two days of making ketones is obviously too rough on my kidneys. I say diet because up until now its been a diet that I've gone on and off of obviously. Now I need to really buckle down and make it a way of life for me. I haven't followed it for about 2 yrs. right now. I had forgotten how much better I feel when I follow it. No more heartburn, no more hypoglycemia, no more feeling so tired all of the time. The past 2 mos. I've really packed on the pounds by being a carb junkie. Sweets every day instead of a good breakfast, then something sweet with lunch or for lunch and just gobbling down twinkies and these fairly new cherry & cheese danishes every chance I get. And oh did I feel so yucky and tired. So far I've only been back on for almost 3 wks and have only lost 5 lbs. so far (I won't be averaging this weeks wt. until Sat.) but I don't care how long it takes me as long as I get there in the end. So, that's pretty much my story! I came here because I need the encouragement and support. My DH is a diet sabboteur!
Cara
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-13-09, 10:57
Registered Member

Plan: ~ CAD ~
Stats: 276.6/272.0/175 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 5%
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAD4Life
Thanks for your replies! I loaned my CAD book out and never got it back so I just reordered one from Amazon. Just to refresh my memory. I originally started this diet in March of '96. I had been doing Atkins for a short time when a co-worker of mine turned me on to the Hellers. I couldn't believe it would work. But 52 lbs. lost and it sure did. I had lost approx. 7 of those following Atkins. It was just too strict for me and I was having pains in my kidneys. Finding the Hellers book was like heaven to me. It was always so easy to follow. I found through trials that if I ate just 30 g. of carbs during my CMs that I would go into ketosis right around dinner time but then my RM would blow that of course. I guess I kind of always combined the diets by taking just one day a week where I restrict my carbs to just 30 all day and let those ketones do their work but the next day I go back to CAD because two days of making ketones is obviously too rough on my kidneys. I say diet because up until now its been a diet that I've gone on and off of obviously. Now I need to really buckle down and make it a way of life for me. I haven't followed it for about 2 yrs. right now. I had forgotten how much better I feel when I follow it. No more heartburn, no more hypoglycemia, no more feeling so tired all of the time. The past 2 mos. I've really packed on the pounds by being a carb junkie. Sweets every day instead of a good breakfast, then something sweet with lunch or for lunch and just gobbling down twinkies and these fairly new cherry & cheese danishes every chance I get. And oh did I feel so yucky and tired. So far I've only been back on for almost 3 wks and have only lost 5 lbs. so far (I won't be averaging this weeks wt. until Sat.) but I don't care how long it takes me as long as I get there in the end. So, that's pretty much my story! I came here because I need the encouragement and support. My DH is a diet sabboteur!
Cara

im glad i look in here this morning do you like CAD so much better? i am 49 right now, but i think im going to try The Original... i sent away for MY CAD Book and it should be here tomorrow! i cant wait to get into it! ive been doing Atkins, but its Waaaaaaay to Hard on Me... i lost like 5lbs the first week and then POW! it came right back on and even tho ive been eating a Strict Legal Diet... nothing... this is since July 16th... Ughhhhhhhhhhh and since i think i "might" do a little better being able to eat a bit more carbs, i figure "why not try CAD"... it cant hurt to try! and reading Posts like yours helps me to BELIEVE Thanks For That Info!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-13-09, 13:34

BF:

Lileee,
I can't wait for you to get your book either. I've never tried the CALP WOE to be honest with you but I just read the book and I think what I've been doing on and off for so long is so ingrained in my brain that it'd be hard to change now. I just recall CAD saying to eat what you want for your RM within reason of course. I don't remember having to eat 2 cups of salad first and having to divide everything into 3rds. I've never been a huge fan of salads but I have been eating them almost everyday for lunch and I just don't think I could do it for dinner too. I know they say you can add a veggie in place of it but oh heck I'm just so satisfied with CAD I think I'll stay put. I had a steak with mushrooms and spinach souffle for lunch the other day at work. My co-workers said it smelled so good and I made them hungry. What other "diet" can you eat that for lunch on LOL? Please let us know what you think of CAD. Oh and I do remember in that book they say you may not be losing weight but you could be losing inches instead and that's always kept me going through a plateau!
Cara
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-15-09, 16:10

Plan: non processed food
Stats: 165/114/119 Female 5' 7.72 /1.72 m
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAD4Life
I don't remember having to eat 2 cups of salad first and having to divide everything into 3rds.

Hello Cara,

The CAD book did mention the cups of salad actually but did not emphasize enough the division of your meal into three equal parts. That's been clarified in CALP. Moreover, the physical exercice has become a more important issue.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-10, 10:55

Plan: Carbohydrate Addict's
Stats: 168/165/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

The CAD diet does have the thirds for the reward meal and a salad depending on the plan ur following. I love CAD!!! I lost 70lbs. and got down to highschool weight bakc in 2000 after the birth of my child. Went off and now heavy and tired. Started again last Wed. and down 4 lbs already. CAD for life from now on!!!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-10, 11:16
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi Eat-
welcome! Thsi is a GREAT site- come, read, post! We'd love to hear from you-
E
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-10, 10:26

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Stats: 220/212/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

I read both CAD and CALP. I preferred the CAD book, because it explained the science behind why the WOE works a little better for me. I don't do strict 1/3, 1/3, 1/3, BUT eating 2 cups of salad is a fantastic idea. Doing that keeps me from binging. So after the salad, I just end up eating what I'd like, but less of it.

I think reading both books is a great idea, then just figuring out what works best for you.