Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 22:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/134/125 Female 5 feet 2.5 inches
BF:???
Progress: 73%
Question Can meds cause a significant stall?

I have been using antidepressants most of my adult life. The ones that work for me are SSRI's. In the last 7 years I have been on Prozac, Zoloft and now since 3 months ago, Lexapro.
When I 1st started this WOE, I was still on Zoloft. The pounds came off quickly. But since I started using Lexapro, I seem to fluctuate 2-3 pounds up or down every day and lose about 1 pound every 2 weeks. I haven't cheated at all this whole time, so I was wondering if it was my meds. If it is, what can I do short of stopping my medication? Should I stay on induction until desired weigh loss is achieved? Or do I just keep plugging along at this incredibly slow rate?
Advice needed... Thank you
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 02:38
"Princess" of Norway

Plan: Atkins / Lindberg
Stats: 187/169/143 Female 162 cm
BF:Yes
Progress: 41%

Hi there !

Yes !!! Meds can stall you. Check out this information linkfrom the Atkins Site regarding medication. I think you'll find your answer there !

Good luck !
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 05:39
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

But I've got to say that this varies from person to person. Several members of my family are on Lexapro (including me) and we haven't noticed any weight gain or difficulty losing. You don't have that much weight to lose, so it may be that a pound every couple of weeks isn't unusual. Especially in the case of Lexapro, it's urgent that you not STOP without your doctor's supervision--a sudden withdrawal can have serious side effects. My advice would be to stick with the WOE--maybe even on induction--for a little while longer and see what happens. Also, are you exercising? That might be the jump start that gets the weight loss going.

Good luck.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 20:49

Plan: CAD
Stats: 148/127.5/124 Female 5ft
BF:28%/25%/20
Progress: 85%

I had a DR. tell me how impressed they were that when i was on Zoloft one yr. that I ONLY gained 4 lbs. She said that people came in with huge weight gains on it. It took alot of work but at that time I was able to lose at a turtles pace. Now with lc it is easier to take the weight off. (It would REALLY help if I never cheated!!!)

I saw from your profile that we are very similar in our weight and height. I just started taking Lexapro. I am seeing how it works this week or so and then may go back to Paxil. I have VERY few side effects from Paxil and maybe the ones I have I will just have to live with. I have been off meds for the last couple weeks and everyone in my family can tell. I am such a grouch!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 15:44
SanePsychoSuprGodess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/191/115 Female 5' 1"
BF:46%/41%/20%
Progress: 16%

Karen -- did you gain weight on Paxil? I ask becasue my Sister was just put on Paxil.

I am on Zoloft -- but not for long because I can't stand the night sweats I get as a side-effect. I have been stalled (no inches, no pounds for 4+ weeks at a time) for much of my time on Atkins. Well, I switched to Zoloft (from Prozac) shortly after starting Atkins. So, maybe that's been a factor in my stalls.