Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 13:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/125/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Another Book????

I have been doing Atkins for just over 6 weeks and I love the Low Carb WOE.

After reading many of the treads about Protein Power, I think it might be a better plan for me.

Here's my question: Do I have to read the Protein Power Book?

I have just finished DANDR. I don't want to sound like a wiener but I am a very very slow reader. I don't comprehend very well and have to re-read things many many times.

I have gone on the Protein Power web site looking for a condensed version but they don't list any how-to information.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

Marla
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 14:33

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Eventually read the book...

You can even get it cheap on a site like half.com

But in the long run, you should always read the book for the plan you are doing. There just might be little things you miss (or never hear of to begin with) that could benefit you. I've read both Atkins and PP...and I certainly don't remember Atkins well enough to say I know PERFECTLY the differences. But here's a general summary (with the addon of "READ THE PP BOOK!")

Protein Power has 3 phases.
Phase I
Phase II
Maintenance

Phase I is similar to Atkins induction, but a little more carbs:
30 grams of carbs a day NOT INCLUDING FIBER grams.
This needs to be spread out throughout the day.
No more than 10 to 12 grams of carbs per meal.
(my book ?older says 40 grams...but this site seems to say 30)

Phase II is for those that have been on Phase I for some time OR for those who don't have much to lose.
55 grmas of carbs a day NOT INCLUDING FIBER grams.
Again, spread pretty much evenly throughout the day

Maintenance is just that...the level of carbs your body can remain at and not gain weight back.

Another difference:
There are NO limitations to the food choices.
If you want to use your 10 grams of carbs up on a cookie for dinner, that's fine. As long as the TOTAL carbs doesn't go over 10.
Of course, you get a lot more out of a cup of strawberries than a measly cookie...but it's up to YOU how you want to spend those carbs.

Dry red wine is permitted everyday.

That's pretty much it off the top of my head.
But I really really really advocate reading the book (if you choose this plan).
Even if it takes you a month to do it.

-- Loretta
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 13:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/198/178
BF:27/25/18
Progress: 5%

If you're sure Protein Power is a better plan, you know enough to go on it without reading the book. Maybe just the section on protein requirements. From being on Atkins so long - you probably already know the carb grams per day your body can handle.

It's my belief that anybody that's been on a low carb diet as long as you probably already knows what best works for them better than any new book or diet does. I will say The Life Plan version of PP does give some good information on nutrition that is non diet related such as vitamins, supplemants, etc.

The real fun for me comes from reading the new literature to see what new research or info has come to light. But, like you I'm sure, I already know what I gotta do to lose weight and keep it off - for me it's just a matter of doing it!