Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 10:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/186/150
BF:Just "FAT"
Progress: 5%
Default From Atkins to P.P. OR... something else?

I know this has been asked before, but I'm possibly asking a bit differently... I have been "TRYING" Atkins for 3 weeks. I've gone nowhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I admit I've gotten frustrated and cheated here and there, (not much though, at all) however I honestly have lost nothing, while I see others are losing atleast water weight. I drink a TON of water and do some moderate exercise when I can.

I think Atkins is not the plan for me. I have a hard time staying under (or at) 20 grams per day. I also have a hard time going cold turkey with caffeine and heck, I admit, I like to have a beer now and again. (I buy low-carb beer). Now, don't tell me I shouldn't drink the beer or coffee. I will not give up those little pleasures, because it's a treat for me once in a while. I already know it's not good for me! It was hard enough giving up every carb I love.... wow is it hard!

I need to lose 40 pounds. I'm 187 now. I would like to get to 150ish.

I have the Atkins book and have read it. I don't own any other low carb books. I realize Atkins is similar to P.P. so maybe P.P. isn't for me either. I don't know. I'm confused and frustrated. I'd love some advice here.

Would I/should I switch? Can I swith or will I gain? Shall I try Schwarzbein, or Zone? I don't know.

I HAVE read the section here on "Which low-carb plan is for you" and I'm even more confused!

I am sorry to babble, but I thought I'd come here for guideance. Thank you!

Leah
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 14:08

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default You gotta find what you'll stick with!

From what I understand, Protein Power isn't THAT much different from Atkins (I have read both).

Before I answer that, though, I'd like to point out that I have not totally given up on caffeine. Just can't do it, and don't really want to do it. Now, if this explains why I'm losing more slowly than I'd like, then so be it. If I have to give up caffeine to lose faster, that ain't going to happen. Gotta do what you're HAPPY with...if you ain't happy, it ain't gonna last!

That being said, the BIGGEST difference that I can tell with PP and atkins is that fiber doesn't count in PP. (Although reading the board, there are some Atkinsers that don't count fiber grams toward carbs either.)
Also, the carb limit is higher (not by much).

Many of this site read PP as 30 grams (8 to 10 per meal across 3 to 4 meals in the day). My book says 40 grams (10 per meal across 4 meals) per day. Don't know the discrepancy...maybe I have an older/newer Protein Power book?

Anywho...*I* did Protein Power with 40 grams, not including fiber, and it worked for me.
When you approximate 10 to 15 grams of fiber a day, that's a total of 50 to 55 grams a day according to Atkins. So more than double.

I didn't stay away from any particular foods (like flour or sugar)...I just counted the carbs and went on my merry way...so I would sometimes have a light bread (8 carbs, 2 are fiber, so a total of 6 carbs) with my eggs and bacon in the morning - getting to about 10 grams.
With Protein Power, the carb source doesn't really matter, so YOU can CHOOSE how you want to spend those carbs. Of course, it's more filling/satisfying to have a cup of strawberries for dessert instead of a half-inch size brownie! But both are options for you - as long as you stick to the carb limit.

Does that make sense?

Hope this helps you in your path to choosing! I read the Zone as well...too complicated for me, but it would certainly allow for more carbs for you.

-- Loretta
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 17:50
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Leah. You're right, Atkins is similar to PP. But honestly, this means that if you switched to PP, you'd be eating pretty much the same food, and you'd be stuck with the same problems. I think you'd be better off figuring out what you're doing wrong and correcting it, because if it isn't working while you're calling "Atkins," it won't work when you call it "Protein Power". I think a good start is to heed the feedback in your journal, cut way back on that cheese, cut out the salad dressings that have more than 2 g carb per serving, and follow the other Atkins guidelines.

HTH - best of luck!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 04:52

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

Well, plus maybe rethink about giving up the caffeine and light beer--just for a little while. It's not like you're giving them up forever, just for a bit until you have things under better control. For *some* very unfortunate few caffeine really does cause them a problem and giving it up will break the stall. How much caffeine are we talking here? (coffee, tea, sodas...how much a day?)
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 13:23
Registered Member

Stats: 188/186/150
BF:Just "FAT"

Kristine, what you say makes sense to me, and frankly it was kind of what I was thinking/wondering about. It just seems do damn hard to meet Atkins requirements. I'm just weak I guess, I don't know.

kjturner, I have approximately 1-2 travel mugs of coffee in the morning. That's it. That's all I ever usually have. I am not a soda or tea drinker. I'd rather drink water and usually do. So, I don't think I'm over doing the coffee.

And, yes, I probably can give up the beer, but as I stated above, I have no will power. We always seem to have some sort of plans atleast 1 night on the weekends these days and everyone usually drinks socially. It's just the way I've been ... forever. Those habits are hard to break. I guess if I want results, I should quit making excuses and do it, huh? Anyway, that's not my only problem... I do have to cut out the cheese, dressings, and watch the meat intake, as that is where my high calories seem to be coming in. I feel I need to watch those too.

Thanks for the suggestions and help. I do appriciate it all.

Leah
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 00:58

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

Just hang in there, it'll shift eventually. I read the Jean Neiditch book (founder of Weight Watchers) once and there was a story in there of a really large lady who whenever she weighed in was only down 1/2 pound, 1/4 pound, etc...never lost a whole pound in one session the whole time she was on W/W, but she was still losing and as time went by, she did meet her goal weight--1/2 pound at a time! So regardless of what diet you are following, *some* of us just have a harder time at it than others.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 14:34

Stats: 199/198/178
BF:27/25/18

Dear Disney,

I think you got it right - it really comes down to willpower. Making changes in your diet, even little ones, are way harder than anyone who's never done it would ever believe. Let me share an experience I had with you about willpower:

I was determined to lose weight and after doing research on how to do it, I picked Atkins. The first two days were a breeze and I managed to convince myself I was already losing weight. Then came day three. On the evening of the third day I found myself standing in front of the refrigerator frozen and not being able to move! At first I was staring at a box of frosted mini-wheats swearing that I wouldn't eat any. Next thing I know I'm holding that box swearing I wouldn't eat any. Than I stood there for a good five minutes and couldn't move. I was frozen by the desire to eat those delicious mini-wheats and the desire to lose weight fighting one another. Anybody that knows me would tell you that when I put my mind to something I always come through and I had definately put my mind to this. So when my body told me to eat those mini-wheats - my mind said NO! But when my mind said put the box down my body said NO!

It was a brutal lengthy battle and I couldn't move. I found myself staring harder and harder at that box. I noticed the sugar on the mini-wheats and how the milk so nicely draped itself over the individual wheats and into the bowl. I couldn't put it down! I slowly went to the cupboard and got out a bowl. Then I spent another five minutes trying to put that bowl back and couldn't. I wasn't used to this type of failure and it was excruciating. I was pouring the mini-wheats into the bowl and still tried to fight it. While I was saying to myself, "the first time you cheat is the hardest - after that it gets easier - so don't do it", I was getting out the spoon and the milk.

But then a miracle happened! I poured the milk in the bowl and as I raised the spoon to my mouth I could smell that the milk was bad! And this was a carton I had bought two days earlier! No matter what I couldn't eat those mini-wheats! I did have a slight urge to eat them dry but was able to fight that off.

There's been many battles since - none so intense, with many wins and losses. But the weight slowely came off. So keep at it - sometimes a power mightier than thou will look after thee!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 14:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 187/183/140?
BF:
Progress:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rickmerr
[B]Dear Disney,

I think you got it right - it really comes down to willpower.

rick is completely correct!

willpower is 85 percent of ANY diet...

as the great austrian oak said... NO PAIN....NO GAIN!! or in this case.. loss
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 16:33

Plan: Schwarzbein and Zone (love Dr. Weil too!)
Stats: 155/146/145
BF:???
Progress: 90%
Wink I think you might like Zone

I've read all the books for the plans you mentioned. I think you might have the most success with the Zone. No foods are off-limits, you just have to "balance" them out with protein and fats. Also, the carb limits are higher. The other thing about Zone is he says it's "guilt free". If you get off track, just make your next meal in the Zone, and you're off on the right foot again.
Carole
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 06:55
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 307/168/155
BF:
Progress: 91%

Think of induction as boot camp, its tough and yup its supposed to be. Drop the beer for at least two weeks and look at what your eating, what proteins your getting and just get that little drill sargent in your head going, 40 lbs is not a eternity, but do know that unless you make the changes in your head and make it a lifestyle then the 40 will come back accompanied by several friends, I know I've been there. Good luck with it, just show yourself the tough love that you care about yourself and maybe cut back to maybe just ONE travel mug of coffee for a while anyway.

Kindest Regards,

LoneInAz