Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-17, 00:42

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Chew on this: we are getting fatter while eating less

Quote:
From The Sunday Times
London
23 April, 2017

Chew on this: we are getting fatter while eating less

Britons are eating less than ever while at the same time experiencing record levels of being overweight or obese.

Researchers have found we are consuming an average 14% fewer calories a day than in the 1970s, suggesting obesity is strongly linked to the sedentary nature of our workplaces and lifestyles, as well as to food intake.

The figures are found in a Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs report, Family Food 2015, which tracked Britons’ household energy intake over the past seven decades. It shows the average adult consumed 2,534 calories a day in 1974. By 2015 the figure was 2,173 — a 14% decline.

Such figures should be treated with caution, though. More people now eat outside the home, for example, while the elderly eat less.

Yet the report said the same trend was visible even over much shorter periods: “Based on food and drink purchases, total energy intake per person was 1.6% lower in 2015 than in 2012. This is a statistically significant downward trend over this four-year period that confirms the longer-term downward trend apparent since the mid 1960s.”

About 27% of British adults are obese, with a body mass index (BMI) above 30 and 36% more with a BMI of 25-30 are overweight, meaning 63% of adults are unhealthily fat.

“Society has changed, with a dramatic reduction in the physical work we have to do both at work and at home,” said Professor Philip James, president of the International Association for the Study of Obesity.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...-less-srlmhndbb
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-17, 05:21
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 133/124/112 Female 58ins
BF:
Progress:

The problem is, they don't seem to be taking into account WHAT people are eating, while leading sedentary lifestyles....

The incidence of carbs and sugar in processed foods is alarming - not to say frightening - and people are eating sugar-laden, or starchy snacks.
People are eating far more frequently, too... Instead of sticking to meals, they'll often be found between meals, stuffing their faces....

Good grief....
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-17, 06:43

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

The clueless will always be with us.

Yes, we are "moving less" compared to the physical labor my grandparents dealt with but in the last 30 years people have started to EXERCISE more and more.

If that worked, I'd be out running today. But it does not. Believe me, I tried.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-17, 16:49

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Researchers have found we are consuming an average 14% fewer calories a day than in the 1970s, suggesting obesity is strongly linked to the sedentary nature of our workplaces and lifestyles, as well as to food intake.

Yet, at least in America, the fitness boom started in the 1970's, so wouldn't we logically expect people to generally be more rather than less active ("exercise is good for you") than before that era when people (according to Gary Taubes) thought "exercise is bad for you." I'm willing to believe (if their data is accurate) that people could indeed be eating fewer calories a day and and be no less sedentary or even more active than back then but yet still be more obese because they're eating more refined carbohydrate and less fat after decades of being told to fear fat and replace it with carbs. That's a hormonal recipe to put on pounds quickly and easily. Unfortunately the researchers likely adhere to the old scientifically discredited "calories in/calories out" concept rather than a more accurate hormonal explanation of body fat regulation, so they must believe either people are eating more or moving less to explain weight gain, even if people aren't.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-25-17, 04:26

BF:

And doesn't this make "calories in/calories out" a lie?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-25-17, 04:46

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
Yet, at least in America, the fitness boom started in the 1970's, so wouldn't we logically expect people to generally be more rather than less active ("exercise is good for you") than before that era when people (according to Gary Taubes) thought "exercise is bad for you." I'm willing to believe (if their data is accurate) that people could indeed be eating fewer calories a day and and be no less sedentary or even more active than back then but yet still be more obese because they're eating more refined carbohydrate and less fat after decades of being told to fear fat and replace it with carbs. That's a hormonal recipe to put on pounds quickly and easily. Unfortunately the researchers likely adhere to the old scientifically discredited "calories in/calories out" concept rather than a more accurate hormonal explanation of body fat regulation, so they must believe either people are eating more or moving less to explain weight gain, even if people aren't.

I am old enough to remember when people jogging down the street was a rare site and considered an odd way to be spending one's time and belonging to a gym was for the muscle bound jocks, yet most people were not fat. The assumption that if people are eating less now but getting fatter then they must be more sedentary is a faith based conclusion built on an unfounded belief in calories in calories out. It's religion not science.

Jean
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-25-17, 05:20

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
“Society has changed, with a dramatic reduction in the physical work we have to do both at work and at home,” said Professor Philip James, president of the International Association for the Study of Obesity.

Agreed! I work in front a computer all day.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-25-17, 05:44

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

They may have a point when it comes to a more sedentary workplace--not that I buy that this is the cause of overweight/obesity, but a lot of people are probably less physically active at work than they would have been a generation or so ago.

Muscle bound jocks... I have to wonder if being a muscle-bound jock has increased in popularity enough to make much of a mark on obesity/overweight stats? Take a "normal" bmi person, or "overweight" bmi, add ten pounds of muscle, and maybe you've got somebody who's now shifted to overweight or obese.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.c...y-epidemic.html

There is some debate about whether or not people are actually eating less than they used to, or more.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-25-17, 07:03
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

How about this... when you eat the right fuel, your body says 'get your lazy arse off the couch and do something!' When you eat the wrong fuel your body says "Where's my recliner? You've had a long day at work. Grab some chips, sit down, and take a load off." That is how this works for me. When I eat right I just can't sit around all the time. I stopped looking for short cuts to minimize effort. I park farther away from the door in the parking lot. I do the shopping, where I didn't before. I walk everyday because I love it. Was it the weight loss? Heck no. This has been going on since I was 390 pounds. Within months of eating low carb I started to get my rear in gear. I had no choice, really. I had 200+ pounds of excess energy now available to burn. My body said move and I complied. In fact, now that I am no longer obese and more fit I seem to be less compelled to move. I don't get as fidgety when I sit for too long. But I still enjoy being fit and living life. I am way more active than I was when I was loading up on carbs.

Last edited by khrussva : Tue, Apr-25-17 at 09:15.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-25-17, 08:23

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
How about this... when you eat the right fuel, your body says 'get your lazy arse off the couch and do something!' When you eat the wrong fuel your body says "Where's my recliner? You've had a long day at work. Grab some chips, sit down, and take a load off."

Indeed! Both mood and energy improvements is my experience, as well.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-26-17, 11:16

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Well, people do eat less, but also more. They eat less calories, but more mass and volume. It's real simple. Carbs weigh less than fat, people eat more carbs and less fat. But why are we fatter? Insulin. The sedentary argument is BS, it's not a cause, it's an effect. A formula 1 car is real quick and fast, but it's also extremely light. Imagine if it was twice the weight, it certainly wouldn't be as quick, ya? Same with humans, we just don't like to lug around an extra 50lbs for no reason, so when we have no choice in the matter, we tend to become sedentary.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-26-17, 11:52

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

It seems that people are looking for the one cure for all problems, but it's more complicated than that. I have a friend who jumps on every miracle cure supplement, but of course she doesn't get any healthier - she's slowly dying.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-27-17, 07:50

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Fact: I reached my lowest-ever adult weight when I ate less and moved more. Ate a LOT less, moved a LOT more. As many of these diet diss-ers have pointed out, this is not a sustainable method of weight management for 99% of the people. It "stopped working" for me. That is, I dropped out from mental exhaustion. Then I began taking Dr. Atkins at his word.

Having sustained LC for most of the last sixteen years plus, along with a regular habit of exercise of various kinds, I'm pretty happy. I don't "eat less." I don't "move more" (more than whom, what, or when? I might ask). I just remember to take care of myself in what seems to be a healthy way. It's good.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-27-17, 11:04

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

When you think about it, a bag of chips really doesn't weigh much but the Cals. are high, so people may be filling up on less as compared to a steak that might weigh about the same but the lack of nutrients in the chips leaves people hungry and malnourished. Then they eat more carbs and the cycle continues as their health declines...