Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Do you use fruit in your diet?
No....never 7 30.43%
Mostly not 6 26.09%
Yes with much moderation 9 39.13%
Yes...as much as I desire 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-01, 01:31

Plan: Still deciding
Stats: 300/?/215
BF:
Progress:
Smile Hello..Newbe with a Question Here

Hi...
My name is Jeff. I am new here, live in Northern California. I am very curious on one subject: The issue of complex versus simple carbohydrates. Is it bad to eat fruit...at least in moderation. I have purchased a "Vita-Mix" machine. The salesman stated that he believes that the Carbos in fruit are much more easy for the body to utilize in a generally effective manner. Please only answer me if you have studied this issue in depth. This seems like a very important question in planning my dietary lifestyle. I would like to consume "some" amount of fruit juice from my machine. Apples and carrots are touted to be very beneficial for health. How are fruit sugars different from other carbos? You get the drift of my questioning here? Can someone with true knowledge on this subject sock it to me?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff the Newbe
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-01, 02:17
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hello Jeff,

Welcome to the board!

Are you ready to be socked?

I know the tendency is to want to believe that sugars and starch from natural sources are better for you than empty, junk-food carbohydrates. To some extent it is true. There are essential vitamins, nutrients and fiber in these foods. There are also a lot of carbohydrates, which your body will treat in the same way as refined sugar. It won't distinguish and say, "Aha, this is from an apple so it's better that a doughnut." It will begin the process of dealing with the sugar. Briefly, this is the way it works: Insulin carries glucose to your cells to be used as fuel. Some of it gets converted to glycogen and is stored in the muscles and liver. What is leftover gets turned into fat. The fatter you get, the less responsive to insulin your cells become. The more carbohydrates you eat, the more insulin is produced creating insulin resistance. Lots of glucose remains in your blood turning into more fat. This is where sugar addiction set in. (You can also be an addict without being fat.) Your cells aren稚 getting the fuel they need and the excess insulin drives your blood sugar below normal range. So you eat more sugar.

Fruit juices are even more deadly than fruit. Why? Because you ingest more sugar that way. The fiber in fruit is left behind. You may eat one apple, but it will take 3-4 apples to make a glass of juice. I don稚 really think a lot of people would eat 9-12 apples a day, but it would quite easy to consume 3 glasses of juice.

Most serious low-carbers would not consume fruit容xcept for the occasional treat of melons or berries熔r fruit juice.

If I were a Vita-Mix salesperson, I would tell you the same thing. But I知 not and I知 speaking from a low-carb perspective.

My questions to you are: Have you studied the issue in depth and what low-carb plan are you following?

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-01, 02:40

Plan: Still deciding
Stats: 300/?/215
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for your quick answer...I have not studied this in "alot" of depth, but am utilizing my time to pursue an earnest inquiry. Since you are a hostess here, I am sure that you have had alot of contact with others on this path. Can you recommend any objective books on this subject and/or research studies to confirm the need to eliminate most fruit from one's diet? Again...from what I have read, many fruits have alot to offer nutritionally. By the way, the "Vita-Mix" leaves all the pulp in the juice it produces...It just renders the enzymes a more "bioavailable" status.......
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-01, 07:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

welcome jeff! karen is sooo right! she knows what she's talking about. we count our carbs on lowcarb diets. i'm on 20g a day. some people 30g. men can usually lose on 50g. so count the carbs in fruit. a 2 3/4" apple (pretty small) has 21g carbs and 3.7g fibre. for the amount of nutrients you need, you can't eat enough fruit and stay in your limit. much better to get your carbs from veggies, especially leafy greens.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-01, 11:17
Registered Member

Plan: Own Combinations, just trying not to exceed 20g/day..Struggling tho
Stats: 174/160/125
BF:
Progress:
Default Used to bethe fruity lady

Welcome to this forum Jeff!! Any Fruits-fresh fruits, fruit juices used to be me main dish of me day when I WAS on low fat, low calories diet..with lotsa excercise too...but I put on weight more then loosin them and hit plateau..I REALLY REALLY DIDNT REALISE THE KABOODLE OF CARBS in them!! When i discovered the low carb WOE i spend me time lookin into the food especially the fruits and vegetables i used to eat(ALOT) then cut them down as per supervised by the experts here and stay within me carb budget (well..i visit this site like everyday to read posts..these warm and friendly supportive bunch here they keep me on the track ). I knocked a solid 12 so far...i havent weigh meself last coupla days coz i am scared to see the needle when its about the time of the month coz if it dont budge frankly I will freak!

I still do eat fruits accordin to me budget..selecting the lowest carb fruit I can get hold here in abundance..thats fresh`papaya' only 3 cubic ins if i still haf the budget to fill in. I do haf that terrible crave fa fruits every now and then and with the mango (gee I love those fresh succulent mangoes!) season now and i must admit am almost dyin to buy them and gobble 3 or 4 mangoes per helpin like what i used to do b4.

I was worried b4 I started this WOE..thinkin cuttin down them fruits may effect my bowel system since i be cuttin down the fibres. Now I came to realise with appropiate amount of carb size fruits and veg and drinkin lotsa water i haf NO PROBLEM goin to the toilet infact it doesnt make any diffrence at all...of course then again i haf me spirulina tablets to supplement me the vitamins and minerals i might not get from eatin the meat, eggs and cheese.

I am kinda `old newbie' to this site too and still experimentin body's response to low carbin. So far its lookin like i am stickin to this WOL. ,Thanks fa readin.

Anne
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-01, 11:32
Forum Founder

BF:

Hi Jeff,

I think Protein Power by Dr. Michael and Mary Eades is the best place to start. Then, Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution. Clicking on the tips section in the red bar at the top of the page will give you a good overview of low-carb.

I remember the Vita-Mix juicer. As I recall, you can also use it to make pureed soups, and I think, nut-butters.

If you are going to low-carb for weight loss and have fruit at the same time, you probably won't be losing much weight. As Deb said, there is a limit to the amount of carbs that an individual can consume on a daily basis and still lose weight. Nutrients found in fruit can be had from vegetables.

If you don't feel you have a weight issue, and will not be low-carbing, by all means eat fruit.

I知 trying to attach an MS-Excel spread sheet, comparing 1 medium apple to 10 oz. of raw spinach. It's very illuminating! The information is taken from the USDA Data Base.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl

I値l have to find out from the Webmaster how to do it.

Karen

I may be a hostess, but I will not be serving you drinks or lighting your cigarettes! LOL.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-01, 12:03
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen
I知 trying to attach an MS-Excel spread sheet, comparing 1 medium apple to 10 oz. of raw spinach. It's very illuminating! The information is taken from the USDA Data Base.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl

I値l have to find out from the Webmaster how to do it.
[/B]

Hi Karen, attachment only works for files ending in .txt .zip .gif .jpg
So a spreadsheet can be attached if it's compressed first with any compression program like WinZip, etc.

Wa'il
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-01, 14:33
Forum Founder

BF:
Default Apples to Spinach Comparison

Thanks Wa'il!

File is attached in MS-Excel format.

Karen
Attached Files
File Type: zip apple spinach comparison.zip (4.9 KB, 18 views)