Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-01, 09:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130/116/100
BF:
Progress:
Smile Hello

Not only am I new to this diet I'm new to posting, too! So please forgive me if I do this wrong. My husband and I are both going on this diet. It sounds great, but I'm a little nervous about eating all that fat and having our cholesterol and our weight shoot sky high. The idea of it being OK to eat pork rinds is just so....well, bizarre. However, you all seem to be so well informed and the diet realy does make since (there was no white bread when the caveman was around or twinkies for that matter....poor devil)

Anyway, wish us luck! I'm sure I will lots of questions as time goes on and you all seem like a great bunch of people!

Tina
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-01, 10:27
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Tine, welcome aboard!

Low-Carb does not really have to be all that high-fat, in fact this is mostly the media stereotype. For me personally, I don't make an effort to cut fat, I call it "normal-fat" as opposed to all the low-fat products filling the market. In addition the emphasis is on good-fat, essential oils omega-3 as opposed to all the hydroginated, processed, unhealthy stuff the low-fat advocates want us to eat.

You'll be able to eat what you like, how you like it and the secret is low-carb, not high fat. Most low-carbers have tremendous success improving their cholestrol numbers, as detailed in the personal experience of several members here on our forum

Best of luck and looking forward to hearing about your success!

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-01, 14:28

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Tina-
I was also very apprehensive at first about eating lots and lots of fat! BUT wow, being open-minded has done wonders for me and so many people here.

Best of luck to you!!!!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-01, 15:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 194//150
BF:
Progress:

hi tina

great you joined this board. it is so informative and the people here are very helpful!
i'm sort of new too and i had a similar feeling about the food we are allowed to eat. BUT i lost 4 pound in 6 days
it still works for me.
i did atkins a long time ago and i have to say i almost forgot about the things he explains in his book.
so i had to read it all over again and that was very helpful for me (i bought this book in 1993.......i thought it was not that long ago..... i'm getting old )
i ordered protein power a couple of days ago. do you have any of these books?

you will see it is a great way of life and even my kids are interested in this diet

i wish you all the best

shirley
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-01, 08:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130/116/100
BF:
Progress:
Default Help

I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, 'cause I have never been on a "posting" board before, but here goes.

I wanted to say thank you for the encouragement. I have read a lot on this site and you guys are so supportive, understanding and encouraging! <<<a round of applause>>> you deserve it!!

I'm very weary about putting my 10yo and 2yo on this diet as they are already underweight. However, my 10yo was diagoned with anemia (to the point that they are considering steroids), so the extra meat in this diet wouldn't hurt, but I think they still need their fruits and veggies. I am going to wean them off all those chips and everything wrapped in celophane, half the food in my cabinets are wrapped in celophane! And the POP Tarts? Where did I get the idea that was a healthy breakfast? Oh yea! It has that American Heart Assoc. seal of approval! Sugar and bread...that's a balanced breakfast? I think the AHA is working for the sugar industry hahaha

I was surprised at how easy it was to make dinner last night. Usualy if you go on a diet you have to starve your kids or make them a totaly different meal. This is what I made last night, and it was a meal that I would have made on or off the diet : steaks, salad, fruit dish and rolls. My husband and I just ate the steaks and a very small amount of salad, the girls ate everything and they had pudding with bananas and whipped cream for dessert, it took all my will power not to eat a spoon or two of that. My husband and I didn't have dessert, because what dessert can you make w/o sugar?

I did buy the Dr. Atkins "new diet revolution" book, and he says that there are some vegetables that we can eat on the induction...do you all agree? Unfortunalty the only veggies my husband will eat is potaotes, corn and green beans...none of witch are listed.

One more question. After you go off the induction diet you are allowed to eat diary food other than cheese, right? and you are allowed so many grams of carbs a day, right? So if a bowl of chocolate ice cream has 19grams of carbs can I use it against my carb allowence for the day? Even though all that 19grams is probably comming from sugar? Just wondering if I'll every be able to have ice cream again! hahaha

Thanks again,
Tina
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-01, 09:23

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Tina--
Just noticed you are from Cherry Hill..... I live about 40 minutes from there but my boyfriend lives about 10-15 mins!! A lot closer than anyone I've met here so far!!!!