Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 18:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/222.5/150 Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:46/41/25
Progress: 34%

I have a question, I have read in this forum that people have done "fat fast". Can someone explain to me what that is or where I can read about it. I seem to need boosts periodically. I started to work-out again hoping that it gives me the boost I need.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 15:11

Stats: 167/155/138 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

sorry started a new thread instead.

Last edited by Jeepgirl : Tue, Jul-29-03 at 15:16.
  #78   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 14:10

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%

Well, I suppose I fit into this Turtle Club category...
Four weeks on induction....the first three weeks absolutely NO weight loss....the fourth week a three pound loss only because I eliminated processed/cured meats and added two glasses extra water. I've recently started substituting my prescription diuretic with 1500 mg Taurine plus several herbs...it's an experiment, but my doc said previously that since I was taking the diuretic for a tendency to retain fluid (not a heart or blood pressure problem) that if I could wean myself off, he'd be curious as to the outcome...he's skeptical, but if it works...go for it.
It's too early to tell how the absence of the diuretic will affect the diet.

So....I guess the important thing here is...don't give up hope...right?
  #79   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 10:15
"Princess" of Norway

Plan: Atkins / Lindberg
Stats: 187/169/143 Female 162 cm
BF:Yes
Default Diuretics

Dear DerBlumers !
Another person with by problem - at last !
I'm on Moduretic Duiretic due to water retention problem...went off 4 days ago, - gained 4 lbs. Taurine is not for sale in Norway, and I have no substitute. How did it work for you ??
I lost 6 lbs the first 3 weeks and have stalled for 3 weeks now, - maybe due to the diuretic ? I'm bloated, head hands and feet hurts ! Have to give it another week I think

Regards Nille
  #80   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 22:40

BF:

Oh, Nille! I hope it gets better soon!

There should be other natural diuretic substitutes you could take....Some of the herbs I also take with the taurine are juniper berry, uva ursi, dandelion leaf....see if you can find dandelion leaf in capsule form. However, until you do....you might have to go back on your diuretic. What does your doctor say about this? He/She might have another idea...

My weigh-in day is Monday....I should know by then if the taurine is going to help me. Good luck to you...if I have any other ideas, I'll reply again.

We can't give up hope...
  #81   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 22:42

BF:

Oh yes....I forgot the simplest thing....drink a LOT more water...and put your feet up whenever you can. It does help ..............
  #82   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 01:48
"Princess" of Norway

Talking Hi Der Blumers !

On Tuesday I had to give in.....I started taking my pills again.
Here is what I wrote in my jorunal yesterday morning:

"Thursday is not my "weight day", but after this hell.....I just had to check ! I'm back to 164,7 lbs and my feet are still a bit swollen. Could mean I've started losing again (as my plateu was 165). I will NOT update my profile yet. I will only do that Mondays, but I'm soooooooo happy today ! The best thing is that I've sticked to the diet, no more no less and drinking ALOT of water !

Breakfast, Lunch, dinner and snacks (snack=the rest of the dinner the day before - 4 pieces of the little piece thats loose on the chicken breasts when you buy only the breasts) as in my first entry yesterday. Even had a hamburger at work. (just with a cup of salad, low carb dressing)Found the package and it contained 7 cardbs pr 100 gr. No weight at work though, so I just had to presume I was under 20 carbs yesterday..... (I'm pretty sure I was, it was small and could not have been over 100 gr). "

Yesterday I also got hold of potassium (which is called kalium in Norway - I thought kaluom and kalsium was the same, but its not !) and chromium in add to my other vitamins and minerals. I think I've started loosing again, - but I'll have to wait until Monday to be sure.

Thanks again DerBlumers, for all your support, it really helped alot when I was own and out !
  #83   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 06:58

Stats: 195/154/125 Female 5'0"
BF:never measured it
Progress: 59%

Dear Nille - I think the "fat fast" is described in one of the chapters in Dr. Atkins NEW Diet Revolution book -- and it is supposed to be used for just what you are describing, if I recall correctly, a jump start when you are stalled. Hope that helps!
Good luck, jsandrock
  #84   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 18:28

BF:
Default Hi Nille!

I mentioned I'd let you know if the Taurine works for me....well, I haven't gone back on my diuretic....haven't gained any weight...but, alas, I haven't lost any weight either. The Taurine makes a good natural substitute for my diuretic, but my diuretic might not have been the source of my inability to shed any more weight.

It sounds like you indeed need your diuretic, because you can't find anything natural to substitute...at least, not yet. Let's keep looking for our solutions....
  #85   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 04:21
"Princess" of Norway

Talking

Hi again Der Blumers !

Thanks for getting back to me..... I started taking my diuretics last Tuesday, I just HAD to ! I have started losing again and I hope the loss goes on (check out my journal) I've checked and L-Taurine are not available in Norway. I need a special import license to import it .

I will try some herbs, - but I've think I've tried everything available !

I wish you luck and hope you start losing again.....my weight stood still for close to 4 weeks !!! Even if I followed the diet, no cheating and drinking a lot of water !! Maybe it's an adjustment thing ????

Anyways, keep up the good work, - if you can manage without diuretics I guess that's the best anyway......

Last edited by Nille : Tue, Sep-16-03 at 04:22.
  #86   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 01:06

BF:

Hello, Nille...

Apparently the L-Taurine doesn't seem to make much difference...I'm still not losing weight. I might have to start my diuretic again...but I hope not. It's possible that I might have a chronic yeast infection....something that I hadn't known about for years. I'm considering trying the anti-candida diet for a month, along with natural supplements to see if it makes a difference.
  #87   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 01:41
"Princess" of Norway

Unhappy

Oh so nice to be hearing from you again, - strange..I was thinking about you this morning....Monday=Weigh in day......and I'm 74,5 kg/164,2 lbs. Back to where I was before I stopped the diuretics. Or maybe I just misread the weight to 1 kilo less last week.....I don't know....Fast fast has been suggested, but as I am in ketosis (not the darkest purple, but almost the darkest) I don't know if that's the sollution. (according to Atkins Support the fast fast is mainly for those who are NOT in ketosis and a toole used to get there) I received a looooong e-mail from the Atkins people, as I wrote them for advice. I've gone through it pont for point and I cannot see that I'm doing anything wrong. I've checked that I'm in Ketosis, I've checked the protein amount, hidden carbs, I don't use any sweetner, I do excercise regularly, I take all my vitamines etc, I don't drink tea or coffee - only water, and enough of it ! I'm not drinking alcohol (I miss my glass of wine). I have a doctors appointment tomorrow, will have the tests done, like thyroid T4 and T3.

I cannot follow the recommendations taking L-tautine and L-carnitine, as these are products not sold in Norway. WE don't have any Atkins or Low carb products, and as I've mentioned earlier, there are strickt import restrictions for the products as well. There's only an hour and a half flight to London, maybe I'll go there for a few days and stack up ! Will be a bit expensive....but.....

I so hoped you would have started losing again....it would have been a BIG inspiration to me. I hope you fine out what's wrong. Maybe I'll get the yeast infection test as well, - not anything much left, is there....?????

If you want a copy of the e-mail from Atkins Support, send me a PM with your email and I'll forward it to you ....

Will keep you updated, and thanks again for remembering me !
  #88   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 11:38
"Princess" of Norway

Default Hello DerBlumers !!

..just a short note to tell I bought Dandelion Root Pills today. I will try to switch one of the diuretics with one of those. If there's no change I'll try that for a couple of weeks and then switch one more. They must be more healthy than the drugs, right ?

I also checked my T3 and T4 the other day. Will get the result tomorrow I think....I hope I don't have to start that again.....All my tests have been perfect for the last year. Would hate to start with more drugs.....

I'll keep you posted......take care and hope everything is OK at your end !

#89   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 14:32

BF:
Exclamation

Nille...

In my research...(and personal experience) ... the dandelion ROOT doesn't work quite as well as the dandelion LEAF. Here in the US, the LEAF is difficult to get in capsule form (the ROOT is easy).

I hope it works well enough for you....I have to special order the leaf...I only found one brand that carries it. Good luck!

Last edited by DerBlumers : Sat, Sep-27-03 at 14:34.
  #90   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 23:37
"Princess" of Norway

Thumbs up Hi again DerBlumers !

......you really need to start a journal, then we can follow each others progress !

Just wanted to let you know I've successfully exchanged one of my diuretic pills with dandelion root. I tried first with two diuretics + dandelion root. I was running back and forth to the toilet all day ..... did that for three days and now I have been taking one duiretic and two dandelion root pills. Works like a charm.....In a week or two I'll try to change the second duiretic pill with two more dandelions ! Cannot get hold of the leaf thing here in Norway, but I have few more places to check out. Have the week of nex week I will roam the health food stores to see if i can find that and some other ingredients I need for my recipes try out !

I'm still waiting for my T3 and T4 result. I will call them again today to check it out.

Will let you know how it goes !
Take care and hang in there !