Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 03:45

Plan: Curves/Heavin
Stats: 284/268/140
BF:
Progress: 11%
Smile New! Anxious to begin... LOTS of Q's!

Hi everyone! I am brand new to this carb counting stuff. I recently joined Curves for Women. I got the book that Heavin wrote and thought I'd give carb counting a try. So far, I think I've lost some weight. But... I am confused about a few things. He suggests carbs of 20 or below for the first two weeks. Can I eat things from the Atkins diet... like their chocolate bars, drinks etc? Or are these items not for anyone else. Do you suggest reading Atkins book? I think the Heavin diet is really simillar except maybe for the last phase. Which talks about maintance. Also, some people have told me certain foods that are high in fiber do not count in the carb totals... is this true? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 05:11
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Hi and welcome. I do suggest you read the Atkins book, or at least visit the Atkins center www.atkinscenter.com and see the list of induction foods. Induction is a two week kickstart to weight loss consisting of proteins, fats, and 20 carbs from mostly vegetables.

I personally don't recommend any bars or fake foods, they effect some people by making them stall or gain weight and making them crave real sugar, which should be avoided.

Atkins has 4 phases, induction, on-going weight loss, pre-maintenance, and maintenance.

If a food has fiber, the fiber is indigestable and can be subtracted from the total carb count...however, some manufacturers are presubtracting the fiber for you, making the count look much lower. You can use www.fitday.com to find out exact counts of carbs, calories, fats, proteins etc. and it's free.

Hope this helps,

Beth
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 05:20

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Just what I did, if it helps...

I didn't eat any Atkins products during induction (been doing this 5 weeks and have had one Atkins bar--yuck!).

Also, I quit cold turkey no caffeine, artificial sweeteners. I just had the proteins, kept my fat up, kept carbs below 20 and enjoyed myself. I think that journalling (I did it in a book at home) either on paper or in this forum is key. Other than 1 diet coke last Sunday (10 days ago) I haven't had a single sip of anything except water. I was a complete sugar/Coke addict right up to the day before I started, and now I can honestly say that I don't crave at all. I'm shocked every time I think about it! Do the Induction to the letter, and you won't regret it. I lost 10 lbs in the 2 weeks of induction and I know that's why. Good luck to you! You will feel so much better following this WOL.

Good luck again,
N.