Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 09:49

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Quit Date Set!

I am a smoker who is planning to become a non-smoker on January 1, and thought I would validate it by putting it in writing here.

It's something I've been 'meaning' to do for a long, long time, and I've finally made the decision.

I got the patches and the gum, but if anyone has any other suggestions, they would be more than welcome

Here's to a smoke-free 2003!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 11:15

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default Way to go!

Demi...I quit smoking about a week before Christmas and feel so much better things I notice now are no wheezing at night...much more lung capacity so suspect every day smoke free this will improve...in my case the whole family made the commitment...son, his wife, hubby and I ...we will all benefit in the long run but the grandchildren will be winners also hopefully with us all living a longer healthy lifestyle ...have found the urge to light up has ceased but am chewing gum like crazy ...B..hang in there ...B
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 14:32

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Hey Bonnie!

Have just noticed that someone has replied to my original thread! Thanks for your support - it's greatly appreciated - and congrats to you on giving up the evil weed as well

Today's my two week anniversary and I can see the difference!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 12:51

BF:
Default Re: Hey Bonnie!

Quote:
Originally posted by Demi
Have just noticed that someone has replied to my original thread! Thanks for your support - it's greatly appreciated - and congrats to you on giving up the evil weed as well

Today's my two week anniversary and I can see the difference!

..see ya finally saw my post girl really enjoyed a good cigar especially when out and about when everyone else in the family jumped on the bandwagon I jumped in too...have not posted any stats because I want to make sure I have really kicked the habit had one lapse on New Year's Day...was under a bit of stress...went out and bought a pack of stogies...was in the car by myself as hubby was home figured aha great time to sneak a puff...NOT... had to hurry home and crawl into bed as I was as green at the gills as some teen trying nicotene for the first time...hubby was sympathetic but had a good laugh...good lesson for me...threw out the remaining cigars and haven't smoked since...hope it sticks and great success to you and your anniversary...B
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 20:44
Registered Member

Plan: Aikens - My own really
Stats: 150.7/139.7/123.2
BF:
Progress: 40%

You are all very encouraging - I made the decision to quit smoking and start back on LC from 2nd Jan. I have managed to keep it down to 1 or 2 a day....(I was a pack of 25 a day girl!) My husband is still smoking over a pack a day, and my will power caves when I get home and he's still puffing away!!!!! AHHHHHH....
He is not ready to give up yet (and I'm trying to not to nag- he will do so in his own time) only thing is its tough for me. I'm on patches, so NEVER even think about it if I am away from other smokers. I have found starting the LC diet again has actually helped me cut right down as I have to avoid alcohol anyway and also be quite conscience of my many bad habits - keeping them all in check seems to be easier than trying to tackle one at a time.
Any suggestions for the couple I can't seem to miss once at home???????
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 06:09

BF:
Default HI Jaxx!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaxx
You are all very encouraging - I made the decision to quit smoking and start back on LC from 2nd Jan. I have managed to keep it down to 1 or 2 a day....(I was a pack of 25 a day girl!) My husband is still smoking over a pack a day, and my will power caves when I get home and he's still puffing away!!!!! AHHHHHH....
He is not ready to give up yet (and I'm trying to not to nag- he will do so in his own time) only thing is its tough for me. I'm on patches, so NEVER even think about it if I am away from other smokers. I have found starting the LC diet again has actually helped me cut right down as I have to avoid alcohol anyway and also be quite conscience of my many bad habits - keeping them all in check seems to be easier than trying to tackle one at a time.
Any suggestions for the couple I can't seem to miss once at home???????

I know the feeling well Jaxx...hubby commited to quit New Year's Day and still hasn't let go...( just found this out a few days ago)...has like you cut way back but he is one that really enjoys his smokes...the trouble here is we spend time in clubs on the weekends a fair amount as he and number one son play in a rock band...number one son has quit but the other band members around him smoke but so far so good for him...another trend that seems to be sweeping everywhere is the banning of smoking in public places... my city just passed a by-law banning smoking in all public places including bars and clubs effective this July so this should help some folks who want to quit smoking but are heavily exposed to other smokers in this scenario...I refuse to nag hubby about quitting..one thing I hated being around was a reformed smoker...he is making the effort to cut down and hope he will take the initiative to quit on his own.. I always have a good supply of Dentyne sugarless gum on hand made with Splenda...that might help curb your desire to smoke at home...also have upped my exercise levels as I have seen some weight gain ...have always had a slow metabolism so have to find ways to get it moving again...so far I have the same smokefree days as Demi but am taking one day at a time...B
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 15:23
Registered Member

Plan: Aikens - My own really
Stats: 150.7/139.7/123.2
BF:
Progress: 40%

Thanks Bonnie,
Maybe the gum will do the trick - I'll keep some on hand - As far as putting weight on, I don't think it has been that big of a problem so far as I have just started LCing on 2nd Jan so am doing a lot more exercise than I was previously (although maybe the weight would be coming off faster - we'll never know). I am finding that I just have to stay away from all temptation.

Thanks again

Jaxx