Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 13:49

Plan: IR Diet
Stats: 165/155/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Feeling crappy on natural thyroid meds

I just started taking natural thyroid meds. I feel extremely anxious and very hot after taking it for one day. I am also naseous, and feel like I'm going to be sick!
Ugh!
Anyone else?
Tori
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 14:11
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

Who has prescribed these for you? A qualified M.D. or board-certified Naturopath? They should have started you on a very tiny dose, then slowly titrate it upward to the optimial level for YOU as an individual based on the results of your blood tests, which should be done regularly (every 10 to 12 weeks) until you have stabilized.

Rapid pulse/heart racing, hot flashes, nausea, sudden high blood pressure are side effects of too much - too soon of the thyroid hormone. These are significant symptoms, and should be reported to the health care provider who prescribed this for you. The dose may need to be reduced, and increased very, very slowly.

It took me over a year to reach my optimal dose and to switch from synthetic T4 alone, to dessicated whole thyroid gland.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 15:54

Plan: IR Diet
Stats: 165/155/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 33%

no one perscribed them too me. I am taking a natural thyroid supplement from the health food store. My thyroid was 2.5, and I decided that I wanted to try the natural root. The guy at the health food store says people like this type... but I have been feeling really hot lately...or maybe I am mentally thinking this. The bottle suggests taking the pill 3x/day, but I am only taking it once, so I'm not exactly taking an overdose, I'm not even taking the maximum. If anyone knows anything about natural thyroid horomone, I'd appreciate any info!
Thanks!
Tori