Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-06, 09:37
Registered Member

Plan: CALP, now Schwarzbein
Stats: 203/143/143 Female 160 cm
BF:56%/22%/22%
Progress: 100%
Question Switched from CALP to Schwarzbein

Hello everybody!
My name is Barbara, I'm new to this board and have been doing the "Carbohydrate Addicts Lifespan Program" for a very long time (almost 12 years). I reached my goal weight with it (finally, with long periods of trial and error) but during the last year I have started slowly to switch to Schwarzbein because I feel in the long run it is more healthy and natural and it allows me more freedom in my food choices.

I was very nervous when I started switching from CALP to Schwarzbein because I feared cravings and/or weight gain but so far everything seems to be fine.

What I noticed though is that I kind of feel hot when I have eaten although I hardly eat the recommended minimum amount of real carbs yet (mostly 25g max, sometimes not even that).

I often think this might be my hormones changing or my nervousness
because I still fear this might be not right for me although I definitely feel good. Has anybody done or experienced the same or switched from other low carb plans to Schwarzbein? What did you feel like and what do you feel like now?

I also must add, I'm 52, on bioidentical HRT like Scharzbein recommends and am tapering off my thyroid medication, because my TSH is totally suppressed.

Thank you for any replies in advance :-), I'm so afraid of doing something wrong eating wise because for the first time in my life I'm slim now and feel good (and I must add I also had bulima for almost 30 years), and am afraid to destroy this again.

Barbara
(btw I'm German, that's why my English might be a bit wobbly, LOL)

Last edited by bnb4us : Tue, Apr-04-06 at 09:43.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-06, 10:01

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

Hi BNB
How is it going for you on Schwarzbein?
I broke out her book again but it seems that people don't
lose very well on the plan. If your maintaining, though, it
may be a good plan. I need to lose 10 or so. I know
what I need to do - I just don't do it. That's great that
you are at your goal weight. Congratulations on that!
Your English is excellent, btw.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-30-06, 16:16

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 245/180/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:

People don't really lose on Schwarzbein? Gosh I hope not. I really really like the way I feel eating this way.

I've done every low carb plan there is over the last 2 years - Atkins, Protein Power, meat & egg fasts, whatever. I find that after about a week I become too irritable and moody eating too low carb so I'd go off plan constantly. This is the only one I've continued and still feel great after the initial euphoria. As far as weight loss, I've held steady at 180, but I did have a big jump in carb intake in the last couple of weeks, and AF is due any day. I'm hoping too see a loss after that. Well, except that I'm leaving on a 7 day cruise next Saturday and we all know how that goes, lol.

I eat about 30 grams carbs at each meal. I think I am insulin-sensitive with healthy adrenals. We shall see.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-30-06, 17:22

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

Hey Star-
It just seemed like some people on the boards were saying
that Schwarzbein was more of a maintenance program, but that certainly doesn't mean that that goes for everyone. Stay with it if your feeling good, definitely! You have to find the right plan for yourself. I wanted to say "hi" and see how you were doing after your switch. That's great you reached your goal on CALP.

Have fun on your cruise. They usually offer so much you're bound to run into things that you can work into your plan.

see ya later
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 00:39

Plan: Anti-Estrogenic Diet/PP
Stats: 198/194/140 Female 5 ft 5 in.
BF:27.9%
Progress: 7%

Barbara--

Several people responded to me when I started The Schwarzbein Program some months ago, and the majority had reached their goal weight while doing SP and were maintaining sucessfully. I think that the program can cause weight gain in some people, but I think if you follow your own instincts you will do fine. I gained weight at first, but then I dropped my carbs down to her 15 grams per meal recommendations (as in the first book) and then a little lower...I have (about) 10 grams per meal/snack at the moment with about 30-40 grams of carbs per day. Basically, I am following the Protein Power program (very similar to SP nutritionally), with a few modifications--trying to eat mostly organic, etc...By the time I reach maintence in PP, I should be following the recommended minimum carb levels from The Schwarzbein Program (I hope).
I agree with you that it seems a very healthy and natural way to eat.
Anyway, welcome to the forum! Your English is excellent by the way, much better than my German LOL!
Tchuss!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-30-06, 22:39
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchette
I've done every low carb plan there is over the last 2 years - Atkins, Protein Power, meat & egg fasts, whatever. I find that after about a week I become too irritable and moody eating too low carb so I'd go off plan constantly.

Many people take more than a week for the body to adjust to very low-carb, it took me three attempts -- I would have quit this time too, but I discovered I was dehydrated and very low on vitamins and minerals esp. potassium. I had a pounding pulse, leg cramps and headaches after meals. I am glad I stuck it out-- I feel better than ever now and younger. Right now; just for fun, I am reading up on CAD and SP, the latter is more like Atkins.