Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 09:16
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 152/135/130
BF:??/25%/21% or less
Progress: 77%
Default You want me to eat CARBS?

I have eaten low carb (Atkins) for 5-6 years now. I have been very healthy, but the weight that I would like to weigh has not been attainable. (I am within 5 pounds and have stayed there for years, no matter what I try) I work out moderately 4 times a week. (I am insulin sensitive, heathly adrenal) I know, not much of a problem! My issue is this, I am having a hard time putting carbs back into my diet. It seems so WRONG! I have tried to add the 15 carbs minimum to meals and 71/2 snacks, and today have tried to raise to 20 for meals. I just have trouble making my mind do it. I feel fine, but more hungry, since I have been in ketosis and such...... Well, any advice on how to get past this mental block?
Thanks,
Linda
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 11:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/162.5/140 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:no clue
Progress: 63%

Hey Welcome to Schwarzbein. What made you switch from Atkins? I was on that for a while but I didn't feel well when I was on it.

Make sure your carbs are healthy ones like she suggests, fruits, grains, bean, etc. Enjoy the delicious tastes of healthy carbs. If you are feeling guilty, read and find out how much nutrition is in the carb food you are eating. You may be hungry if you have cut back on the high fat you are used to.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Piano
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 12:21
Registered Member

Thanks Piano! I was beginning to think NO one out there was "afraid" of carbs and understood what I was getting at. I will never eat sugar again, so I have added things like fruit and yams and peas and such. It feels strange, but it also seems right somehow. I just feel huge! I haven't gained any weight really. I'm trying to stay away from the scales, but the habit took over and there I found myself! I feel full after a meal and hungry before the next one. Different, but not bad. Certainly not bad and shaky like the lowfat lifestyle I was raised with!
MusicMom
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 12:25
Registered Member

Piano,
I never answered your question. When I started Atkins, what I loved best was that I was eating REAL food. (Everyone at lunch is eating plastic food out of plastic trays from the red cardboard WW box) I have found myself lating adding more and more processed Low-carb food. We even have a local low-carb store now. I needed a kick to get back to real food. Plus, I never could lose the last five pounds on Atkins. We'll see what this brings me!
(My husband is SO confused)
MusicMom
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 12:25
Registered Member

Plan: The Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 130/120/120
BF:
Progress: 100%

Linda,

My advice is much like that which Piano gave you. I would add the carbs in slowly if you think you might have a problem tolerating additional carbs in the beginning and just enjoy being able to have them again!! I was on Suzanne Somers for about 4 months before switching over to Schwarzbein. 1/2 sweet potato was one of the first carbs I had when I began and it was so wonderful...it was almost like dessert!!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 12:48
Registered Member

Plan: The Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 130/120/120
BF:
Progress: 100%

Ooops...sorry, duplicate post.

Last edited by Lisa W. : Mon, May-19-03 at 12:51.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 12:56
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Just coming at this from another perspective.

If you feel good and are eating right. Is the scale the most important thing or is it a size you want to be.

My thoughts here is for the 5lb body change since it is such a small amount - you may want to just consider exercise.

Smaller looks much better then lighter sometimes and is very easy to do when you already eat well and feel good.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 09:38
Registered Member

I'm not really scale obsessed, but I know where those extra five are. Right around my waist. I cannot lose anymore size on my legs and arms and my abs even have some definition, but still rolly. I would love to get rid of it, but no amount of exercise helps! Hopefully the correct diet will.
MusicMom
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 22:28

Stats: 200/162.5/140 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:no clue
Progress: 63%

Good point lkonzelman, since you don't have much too loose, enjoy feeling good and eating healthy. Get some exercising in if you don't already. Maybe you just need a little toning up. Pilates and weights will really tone things up quickly for you.

Pianobeiner
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 13:27
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Well there really isn't anyway to spot reduce on your body. Just keep building muscle and burning fat and your body does keep changing (often the part we want the most last but such is life).

Being healthy and happy should be the goal and just keep plugging.

I still have what looks like some flab but is really a lot of loose skin in my tummy area that is going s...l...o...w...l....y.... bye bye!