Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, May-07-08, 07:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 348/345/250 Male 6'6"
BF:
Progress:

Well, I used to spit it out at the restruant if they brought it to my by mistake, i made myself start by buying 1 diet coke, and making myself take a sip every 5 minutes. you eventually get used to it. I now love itl..
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, May-14-08, 19:03
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

A nice substitute: carbonated mineral water, vanilla, stevia and heavy cream. Or add a flavoured DaVinci syrup - they have cola and root beer.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Aug-10-09, 13:30

Plan: Still looking
Stats: 365/365/210 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress:
Default evil soda

I Have had a soda with me everyday since I was a small child. I would buy a 2 liter of RC cola and carry it with me everywhere. Now I'm 31 and trying to break the addiction and it sucks. I read an article that one person managed to give up soda by replacing with carbonated water, saying that the carbonation is what they are addicted to. This makes sense to me being that when a soda is flat I no longer want it. So my next trip to the store I plan on trying the carbonated water. After I give it a shot I will reply with how things are going. Oh and currently I drink well over 6 cans of Coke and or Mountain dew everyday.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Aug-21-09, 10:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/161/155 Female 5'6
BF:don't u ask
Progress: 93%

I found this post and have to admit that I have been dealing with this addiction myself for a long time. I am glad to know that I am not the only one. I have seen other posts about diet soda addiction as well.

I used to drink coffee, then when I got pregnant, and after, it upset my stomach and I switched to soda. Well, months later with the baby weight, and then soda weight, I switched to diet. Anyway, long story short I did give up soda for the longest time, couple years. I would occasionally drink a diet ginger ale but was mostly water.

It seems I can last the longest time going without, then I will start with an occasionally diet coke, then that builds to one a day, then that is a run away freight train and I am drinking it all day again-like now. Thanks for all the different ideas.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Sep-16-09, 17:44

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 265/205/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Bump.

I'm Meg and I'm a diet soda addict. It doesn't feel like a physical addiction to me, though. When I have something like diet green tea in the house, I'm find without the soda. I'm fine without the caffeine too.

I'd love to drink just water all the time, though, and that's what I did until I started low-carbing. With the restrictions on food, just water got boring, and here we are, folks.

Wonderful idea to flavor plain carbonated water, so we know what's going into it. For me, also, I'd dilute it a little - seltzer is a bit *too* bubbly for my taste.

Just finished my daily Fresca as I was writing. The stuff gives me headaches, why do I drink it?

Meg
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-10, 07:46

Plan: vegitarian
Stats: 152/146/125 Female 5,5 inches
BF:
Progress:

I used to buy diet coke and diet pepsi by the case sometimes usually drinking eight to twelve soda cans in one day. I stopped because my kidneys started hurting and my head would just spin.I didn't eat right because I was never hungry as well it would give me a pop hangover in the morning. Thank god my parents were concerned and repeatedly kept me from drinking too much ofthe stuff. I have ceased buying it. I drink power-aid sports drink now to substitute the addiction. At my work place there is a soda fountain and I have switched to coco cola instead of diet pop. Usually drinking two to three 16oz glasses a day. Mostly though I drink water it's a good substitute.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-10, 15:44

Plan: My own
Stats: 208.0/176.5/160.0 Male 70 inches
BF:99.999
Progress: 66%

I have to agree with the person that said to just stop buying it. Water is free. Water tastes good. Water is good for you. I know some people claim to hate water but that is probably because they never drank it consistently. Once I stopped drinking pop, water started tasting better and better every day.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-10, 18:42

Plan: atkins
Stats: 252/206/185 Male 69
BF:
Progress:
Default Soda addiction

I find it interesting that so many have mentioned being addicted to Mountain Dew. I was as well. Now I cannot drink the stuff.

I realized I was an addict back in 1998 when I injured my back and was sitting around a lot. Daily me ana buddy would go to the store to buy whatever we wanted for lunch, dinner, etc., and always some soda for me. One day the checkout girl whom I liked asked if I was stocking up on soda? I said no and asked why she was asking? She said, you were in here yesterday buying the same amount as today, so I am wondering what you do with it all? And my buddy said he drinks it! And she said, that's not possible, you were in here yesterday buying 20 two litre bottles, and today buying... well, 19, but nobody can drink 40 litres of soda in a day. And my buddy said, he does. Long story short, I was buying up to 40 litres of Mountain Dew a day, and drinking it. Over the next couple of weeks I monitored myself and sure, I was drinking endlessly. So I decided to quit, but with some intelligence behind the plan.

The first thing I noted, was that grabbing it in the store is a habit. So I started buying something else. I went with Pepsi. Didn't look the same, I knew I didn't mind the taste, but it wasn't the same color.

Next I realized that the flavor was an issue too. You get used to something, you want it. So I switched from Pepsi, to Coke, to just anything, as long as it came in a two-litre bottle.

The goal was to quit within a year. I switched to diet, just to see if that would be workable, and sure enough, I was soon drinking diet coke. But it started to taste good so I went back to drinking sugary stuff and found I couldn't. I had quit sugary for a month and suddenly couldn't drink it. So I switched back and forth between the diet colas, Pepsi, Coke, store brand, anything. I kept swapping each time, trying not to stick with any brand more than one store visit so I would get the flavor out of my head.

I was done drinking soda within 60 days. Not a year, just sixty days. And I found that once I had it out of me for more than a couple of weeks, I was fine. No need for caffeine, though I did have to drink a lot of different things so I could have flavor. I found that water alone was not good enough. Flavor was an issue too. But soon I grew bored of those as well. Within three months, maybe four I was done. I really just drank water most of the time.

I had quit for about 18 months. It was then I happened to get on to the Atkins diet. I was doing alright with it. But I went out to visit my family and when I arrived, they had dozens of bottles of soda. Including Mountain Dew. They offered me some, I said I had quit and they asked, What about diet? And I said, I drank it for a while, but I quit drinking soda completely. And they responded... handing me a glass of iced diet Pepsi... No need to quit, diet has no affect on Atkins. You can drink all you want!

Two years later I finally quit again. Used basically the same methods. Though it was easier because I knew I could do it. Knew what to do. And it worked. That one lasted maybe 18 months then I started up again. Not sure why.

I just quit again. Haven't touched any for a month. It's going alright. No hard cravings. But here's the part that annoys me. I got diagnosed with diabetes. I had been working out, exercising, smaller portions, everything for 18 months. Went from 248 down to 220. Felt pretty good, was sticking with it, got injured at work, ballooned back to 248 and then 252. Got healed, went right back to working out, dropped to 215. That's when I got the diagnosis!!! Diabetes, yet I had been off sugary sodas for eight years! I had dieted (though modifying my eating habits to a healthier system would be a better way of saying it) exercised and lost 30 pounds and still got diabetes. And the doctor says... No need to quit diet soda, it has no affect on your diabetes... And I'll tell you, I used that as an excuse just as I used Atkins as an excuse. But I wasn't happy a doctor was so unsupportive as to suggest drinking any soda was just fine and dandy.

So between my new healthier eating, I broke the 215 barrier and hit 194. 9 pounds away from my ultimate goal of 185. Though I have bounced back to 206, I know I can do what I want. If I want to eat healthy, I do, if I want to exercise, I do. And now I have quit soda again, which I also know I can do. Quitting doesn't mean you won't ever drink again. It just means you've decided, at least for now, to not drink.

So the keys for me were always to break the routine. Buy something different. At first it may have to be a similar looking object like a different soda. Just change the routine. Buy a different brand. I am sure this would work with smoking too. Buy a different brand each week. Change the nicotine levels over and over. Eventually there will be no specific object you crave, no specific flavor, no specific anything. And if you have to, change the store you always use. Anything that is part of the routine, break. It is no different from "normal" people who wake in the morning and immediately have the coffee going, can't leave the house without coffee, always have the mug in hand... it's a routine.

I wish you every success in your efforts. It was actually kind of easy. I didn't do it cold turkey, but within sixty days I was pretty much able to walk away. And once you learn you can do it, and pretty easily, it will be easier the next time, in case your quitting was temporary.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jul-27-10, 23:05
Registered Member

Plan: low carb
Stats: 141/141/122 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I drink diet sodas all day everyday - at least 6 cans per day. I only recently got serious about eating healthy to regain the energy I once had. In a few weeks I am going to cut out yogurt, then a few weeks after that I am going to work on my diet soda addiction - I go between Diet Coke, Diet Pepsi, and Diet Mountain Dew. Good luck and please keep us updated
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-10, 17:32

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 280/269/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress:

I'm making a Short Documentary in San Diego and seeking soda addicts or "compulsive" drinkers to be apart of our film. The film will revolve around real life people and their unique stories with soda, whether they're recovering soda addicts, casual drinkers, if they "struggle" with 1 soda a day, 10 a day, 30 a day, if they've switched to diet but are addicted to that now, if they love it so much but don't care....etc. etc.
If you drink soda (or used to) we want to hear from you and potentially interview you for our short film. The film will also explore the social acceptance of soda in America, the psychological effects of addiction and what Health experts have to say

Please email me, if you live in Southern California, with as much info as you can (age, gender, soda consumption, etc.)
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-10, 23:27
Registered Member

Plan: ZC/VLC/carb cycling
Stats: 185/150/120 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 54%

I stopped cold turkey and I drink iced tea with Truvia and lemon. I also love coffee.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-10, 21:22

Plan: adkins
Stats: 390/330/220 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

Hi, i was actually about to write something like this for a post lol. I love my soda diet of course. I have dropped from buying 2 twenty-four packs to buying just one 12 pack. Now I am hopefully gunna kick it all together now and stick with sugarless tea and water. After being on a stall for almost 4 weeks, I had to change some really bad habbits, one of them being i didn't drink a lot of water and since i started getting over 64 oz a day i lost 7 pound and back to 330. So i guess all of us just have to find the right thing's that work for us and make sure you look for all kinds of alternatives besides soda.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Oct-29-10, 22:41

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

I absolutely loved my Diet Coke -- never did like the real stuff. But I was more worried about the aluminum can and the phosphoric acid, and then I learned about the problems with aspartame. I'm trying to get healthy through my new lifestyle, so these are just too many issues in one can.

Not a perfect substitute, but the flavored carbonated waters are pretty good -- I like the orange and raspberry flavors. Very occasionally I'll have a Hansen's Diet root beer with HWC and it tastes just like a root beer float. That's a real treat.

And I am starting to get used to drinking plain 'old water -- it does grow on you after awhile, but I'm still not all that excited about it.

Good luck.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Nov-08-10, 14:44
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 138/129/115 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:

I started drinking soda water and spritzers and also used them to water down my sodas at first. The thing that helped me was to not buy any for home and to not have any change or dollars on me at work for the soda machine. That way I was forced to drink water or coffee in the morning. Just be careful not to substitute coffee for soda. A cup or two of coffee is ok but too much isn't good. -Serif

Last edited by Rosebud : Mon, Nov-08-10 at 15:50. Reason: Advertising link removed