Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sat, Aug-07-04, 17:17

Plan: Carb Cycle
Stats: 185/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 67%

Quote:
almost gave myself a concussion with the 40lb barbell. I banged my forehead with it in May/June. So I'm extra careful now.

Meg, what are pistols? How do you do the overhead squats. Is the bar straight above your head?

Perhaps pistols are dumbbells????

Couldn't you just hold the dumbbells by your sides for these or is that bad for balance?
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sun, Aug-08-04, 06:19
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%
Default Pistols

Pistols are 1 leg squats.
http://www.powerathletesmag.com/pages/pistols.htm

I've started them by doing them down onto a low chair - like box squats. I can't go further at a decent (slow) speed and maintain control and balance.
The first time I tried them onto the chair, I only did a few with each leg, as a test run... and for the next few days my glutes (maximus) were very sore, like the kind of sore that is DEEP and lasts.
  #63   ^
Old Sun, Aug-08-04, 07:26

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Wow! Those look very hard. I like the notion that it helps with balance, coordination and fear of falling, though... areas where I have issues. Something for me to try once I get to goal weight. I still have a long way to go with the regular squats.
  #64   ^
Old Sun, Aug-08-04, 16:21

Plan: Carb Cycle
Stats: 185/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 67%
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg_S
Pistols are 1 leg squats.
http://www.powerathletesmag.com/pages/pistols.htm

I've started them by doing them down onto a low chair - like box squats. I can't go further at a decent (slow) speed and maintain control and balance.
The first time I tried them onto the chair, I only did a few with each leg, as a test run... and for the next few days my glutes (maximus) were very sore, like the kind of sore that is DEEP and lasts.

Boy I missed that by a mile!!!!!

These look very interesting.....

Might be something to incorporate later, Certainly qualifies as an advanced movement!
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Aug-10-04, 20:02

Plan: Curves eating plan
Stats: 186/152/140 Female 5'8'
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tholian8
A significant percentage of strength increase, especially for women, is what's called "neural adaptation." What this means is simply that your nervous system learns to be more efficient as it directs your body through the lift. Your lifting mechanics get better. And even a tiny improvement in neuro-muscular coordination can produce an impressive jump in strength without actually adding muscle.

Tholian -
I think my body is adapting. I did squats today for the 3rd time. Previously, I was doing 3 sets of 8ish but today I could get up to 12 on each set and I was only struggling on the last couple reps of the 3rd set. My body feels more comfortable thoughout the motion which was a limiting factor before. Now I just have to focus on keeping my weight over my heels - my feet keep wanting to raise onto my toes. (I find I've been more comfortable not using heel lifts - now my feet just have to get the message!)
I think I'll use just the bar one more time and see how I feel. THen I think I'll be able to add on some weight! yay!
I did find that my lunges suffered after doing more squats. hmm... now my lunges just have to catch up! (and boy, do I hate lunges)