Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-15, 00:03

Plan: least carbs the better
Stats: 202/175/165 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default My not so successful lipid profile after LC

Hi guys,

I just wanted to check with you and see if you have any tips regarding how I could target my cholesterol more effectively, especially my LDL. I did LC last year for about two months in a strict form (from Sep to November, Thanksgiving), and after that I did it on and off... so these are my lipid profile results, which seem to be pretty good on some areas but not so much around my cholesterol. Any ideas, tips? I should clarify that I didn't write a journal, I pretty much avoided any type of carbs and ate protein, fat, vegetables, without much balance... as long there were no carbs...

My numbers BEFORE Low carbing (9/16/2014):
- Weight: 202 lbs
- Cholesterol: 277 mg/dL
- Triglycerides: 161 mg/dL
- HDL: 47 mg/dL
- LDL: 198 mg/dL
- Non-HDL: 230 mg/dL
- LDL/HDL ratio: 4.2
- HDL/CHOL ratio: 5.9

My numbers AFTER Low carbing (4/13/2015):
- Weight: 176 lbs
- Cholesterol: 273 mg/dL
- Triglycerides: 86 mg/dL
- HDL: 54 mg/dL
- LDL: 202 mg/dL
- Non-HDL: 219 mg/dL
- LDL/HDL ratio: 3.7
- HDL/CHOL ratio: 5.1

As I mentioned in my original post, I low-carbed most strictly the first two months... After Thanksgiving, I low-carbed on and off until this day. When I say on and off I mean something along the lines of low-carbing during the week and eating normal carbs one day of the weekend... at times I've gone two full weeks low-carbing and then on the weekend I would eat any normal food not limiting carbs at all, etc. My weight has hovered around 175 for the most part of 2015.
In retrospective, I acknowledge that sometimes my "fat/protein" intake was something along the lines of KFC, or fried chicken from the Deli in my local grocery store, etc., although not very frequently, maybe once every two weeks or so... Any basic tips that would help me target LDL and overall cholesterol while LC'ing? I plan to stick to it in a more strictly fashion and tell my doctor that I don't want statins (she's pretty insistent that I should take them)... or do you guys think I should take them?

ADDITIONAL NOTE: As I mentioned in my introduction post (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=467088), recently I've been eating a lot of eggs (they are delicious!), 6-8 daily... how bad do you think this is to my cholesterol levels? I still read a lot of debate around whether eggs (or cholesterol from food) negatively affect your lipid profile or not.

Last edited by sergeidave : Mon, Apr-27-15 at 00:10.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-15, 02:00

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

My physician said not to worry about eggs (my total cholesterol runs over 300 unmedicated), that food doesn't make more than about a 5% difference. I'm thinking he had more like 2 a day in mind, though.

All your tests improved except for ldl; that might be just a blip that could just as easily have gone down 4 points. Honestly I'd be thrilled to have your numbers!

There is great opposition to statins here on the boards. I have read many articles and videos saying why they are so bad; I've seen statistics showing benefit. I have chosen to stick with them. No one can make that decision for you. You have to do your research and consider the source of everything your read or hear.

In my case my family runs 300+ on both sides; those who have been on statins since they came out are alive, no side effects, and in their late 80's, or passed away in their late 80's or above. My father never took them and died of a heart attack at 56; so did 3 of my 4 grandparents (in their 60's though). So it seems to me they work pretty well for us. (Plot twist: I didn't start them until age 59.)

Anyway, I don't really want to offer myself up as a guinea pig for the opinions of people who are not in my shoes, Kwim? You may decide you would never ever take them. We are all individuals.

TBH, if mine was not so high...more like yours...I'd really have to give it some thought before jumping on the statin bandwagon. I'm just anti-pharmaceutical in general nowadays.

Go to google, and google scholar, and research. Statins + mortality, Statins + CVD events, Statins + side effects. Do an advanced search here on the boards.

I wish I could give you, and I, a definitive answer!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-15, 04:59

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Part of my answer is on your intro thread. I think your lipid panel has been quite successful on low carb. Trigs under 100 and HDL over 50 is good, both headed in the right direction, though could be better if you actually ate LC consistently All of Zoe Harcombe's explanation about cholesterol was quoted there, but this is the point about LDL that you should understand;

Quote:
iv) The standard blood cholesterol test does not measure LDL – it estimates it. The fasting blood cholesterol test can only measure total cholesterol and HDL. There are two other unknowns in a four variable equation – LDL and VLDL. The estimation is refined further using the Friedewald equation (named after William Friedewald, who developed it).
Total cholesterol = LDL + HDL + Triglycerides/5 (Ref 1) (More detail here.)
As any mathematician will tell you, one equation, with four variables, only two of which can be measured, is a fat lot of good. We need at least one more equation or known variable, to avoid circular references. This also means that:
– All other things being equal, LDL will rise if a) total cholesterol rises and/or b) if HDL falls and/or if c) triglycerides fall.
– All other things being equal, LDL will fall if a) total cholesterol falls and/or b) if HDL rises and/or if c) triglycerides rise.
No wonder an inverse association is observed between LDL and HDL – it is by definition. More surprising is that a fall in triglycerides, which would be welcomed by doctors, would be accompanied by an automatic increase in LDL, all other things being equal, which would not be welcomed by doctors. And you thought that this was scientific.

The number of long articles and threads about cholesterol and statins are rather overwhelming here on this sub-forum, but there is a new website that has shorter list of her favorite explanations why we should be focused on Inflammation (caused by a diet with too much sugar and refined carbs) and not worry about cholesterol and dietary fats (eat your eggs )

Read this short explanation and dip into some of the resources:
https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/hea...sterol-and-fat/

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Apr-27-15 at 06:09.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-15, 09:02

Plan: least carbs the better
Stats: 202/175/165 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress:

Thank you guys very much for sharing with me. I'm definitely diving into this journey of acquiring new and correct knowledge with everything I have.
Thank you!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-15, 09:45
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I've been collecting a list of links for quite some time. See my signature.