Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-05-17, 09:19

Plan: ≤ 20 carbs & IF
Stats: 292/235/170 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default My first day of no Metformin

After pretty much ignoring my doctor two years ago when I was pre-diabetic and told me to go on a low carb diet, my A1C shot up to over 10 and he put me on meds 4 weeks ago and told me I'd cut my lifespan by 10 years if I did not go on low carb. (My BG was 250 fasting and 325 after a meal). Well, its been 4 weeks at 20 carbs or less per day and with his approval, I discontinued the Metformin yesterday. If all goes well, I'll discontinue the Farxiga next week.

So far so good. I'm pretty sure all the Metformin is out of my system. It's half life is just 6.2 hours after a dose and I did not take any yesterday. I woke up today and my BG was 101 and just 107 after my morning coffee.

I'm looking forward to being off the meds completely.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-05-17, 09:46

Plan: DDF, Fung
Stats: 247/209/199 Female 66.5"
BF:kickin it
Progress: 79%

Yay! Good for you! I love not having to take any medication!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-05-17, 12:16

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Those are the numbers you want to see. Glad you're working closely with your doctor.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-05-17, 13:37

BF:

I was expecting a rise in my BG, and hoping it would only be slight. I had to take my dog to the vet today so I skipped breakfast and was hungry when I got home so I had half a strip steak and eggs. 30 min later my BG is 81 - my lowest reading ever. I even double checked a finger on the other hand. Usually it varies a point or two form hand to hand but this time it was exactly the same. 81. If this keeps up I may quit the Farxiga sooner than expected.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-10-17, 20:40

BF:

Well shoot. I don't want to keep running to my doctor every week, but my BG "average" has been slowly edging back upwards. I read a study where it showed a low carb diet took 24 weeks to normalize BG. It's been just 5 weeks for me.

On a daily basis, the average has gone from 109 to 113 to 115 to 118 and today it was 122. I am thinking about maybe going back on a half dose of the Metformin until I get my weight down a little further... and then try quitting again... I duno..

EDIT: I also quit smoking 4 days ago and I have heard your BG can get erratic during that time. I have not altered my diet in any way so I know its not what I am eating.

Last edited by TucsonBill : Sun, Sep-10-17 at 20:52.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-11-17, 05:17

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Do you know how Metformin works? It does not directly lower BG.
Members on a forum can not advise what you should do about medication dose, but I have before referred you the clinical experience of diabetes experts. Dr. Westman in this talk https://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf-dia...dr-eric-westman starting around minute 21, gives seven patient examples of the weekly range of Glucose Minimums and Maximums, when he decreases and/or removes meds. The range of Maximums was 130-200! The range of minimums as low as a 72, but the median closer to 100-110, one up to 140.
Dr Fung posted a "what to expect with blood sugars" on his old site, and he lowers medications when BG are in the 5-7 range (7 mml. = 126 mg.)
Considering you started at 325 pp...an average of 122 should not unduly alarm your GP. Keep records of each reading and discuss it with your doctor at the regular appointment. You are doing great with both quitting smoking and carbs

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Sep-11-17 at 07:18.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-11-17, 18:38

BF:

I'm thinking it may have to do with quitting smoking. There are all kinds of articles out there that say quitting smoking will lower your blood sugar, and it may in the long run. However, actual studies have shown the opposite, they show a temporary rise in blood sugar immediately following smoking cessation.

https://www.verywell.com/does-quitt...d-sugar-4007306

The past couple of day's my BG does seem to have "settled in" around 120. As long is it doesn't go any higher I'm going to stay the course. I also notice that for some reason I'm not getting the peaks and falls like I was before ranging from 130 to say 95 - it seems to stay pretty constant now for some odd reason.

I know that with the low carb diet and now the smoking cessation my body is going through changes, I'll give it more time to see how it pans out.

One good thing, I am not having the carb cravings so many people experience when quitting smoking. If anything, my carb intake has gone down. I also feel that the cravings for cigarettes are not near as bad as I remember them being on my previous attempts to quit, so I am thinking that maybe the low carb diet also may be helping me to quit smoking.