Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-25-02, 20:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/190/190
BF:
Progress: 100%
Post Help My Girlfriend saw a TV show about LC = Liver problems

Hey Guys and Gals, i got a big problem, Me and my Girl have been doin the LC thing since about december but we got off track this month and have been cheating..well starting tommorow i am Back LC'ing and i have been trying to convince her to go back on atkins with me and my father. BUT she saw a Television show talking about how LC diets cause liver and or Kidny problems. I searched these forums for Liver and kidny problems but so many posts come up. I was wondering if anyone can direct me to any information that I might be able to use to show my GF that there is no proof that this is true. THANKS ALOT
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-26-02, 04:40

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

http://atkinscenter.com/Archive/2001/12/13-162534.html

Q: What effect will Atkins have on liver and kidney function?
A: There are no studies showing that Atkins causes kidney or liver problems in healthy individuals. There are research trials that looked at liver and kidney and heart function, with participants on ketogenic diets similar to the Atkins approach in which no negative effects were observed. Also, when we did a follow-up of more than a year on patients at The Atkins Center for Complementary Medicine, including checking their kidney and liver functions, there was no adverse effect. Of course patients in kidney failure are extremely restricted in everything they consume, including water, so Atkins would not be appropriate for them.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 16:42

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Atkins has publicly challenged the medical community to come up with EVEN ONE case where low carbing damaged the liver or kidney of a healthy normal person. NOT ONE CASE HAS EVER BEEN BROUGHT FORWARD. NOT ONE!

As stated above, the confusion arises because people who have existing kidney problems are told not to eat much protein as it is believed it is too hard on the diseased organs.

I've been LCing for 4 years and my recent kidney function tests were just fine.

#4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 18:05

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Same here...

I've been low carbing for about a year and a half now PLUS I've been a diabetic for 10+ years. Result? My kidney and liver function are both perfectly normal (and my doc tests them every 6 months).
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 12:33

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 20/08/00 Female 5'10"
BF:not/low/enough
Progress: 60%

I have scar tissue in my liver (gallbladder surgery gone wrong) and my doc is not concerned.

I wonder if some of the "facts" you see on tv or read about aren't meant to scare you away from this plan for monetary puposes rather than health ones.

I say talk to your doctor. Work with him or her and get tested if you are worried.