Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-10-04, 11:07

Plan: Currently on PSMF cycle
Stats: 198/157/150 Female 5'9"
BF:? No thank U !!
Progress: 85%
Angry Ignorant Curves Employee

OK you guys...I am soooo livid right now I don't know if counting to ten and deep breathing can help me!!
I just got back from my workout at my Curves and am seriously pumped but unfortunately part of that is complete anger! I belong to a location where the women blab and jump like idiots on the "recovery" pads and do their resistance portion like they are in slo-mo. Here I am working my ass off(literally ) on the machines and then taking the time to get my heart rate down and actually "recover" on the RECOVERY pads. Well...this coffee sipping, constant chattering, scarf wearing employee is signing up a new recruit and just as I am in front of the "sign up" table, on a recovery pad, I hear the new lady say soming to the effect of "like her", meaning me. The employee says "no, she's blaa blaaa" I didn't hear the exact words but I looked right at both of them in the eyes and they were both staring at me, so I sort of raised my eyebrows and smiled and then looked away to continue on with my workout. I was sooo pi$$ed off ,I actually saw red!!! ARRRGGGGG!!!! I proceeded to think of all this stuff to say to her as I was stretching (people have different goals, different bodies, this is not a one size fits all deal, I'm here to build muscle, not burn it, educate yourself on the human body you twit, etc....!!)

I didn't say a word. I wanted to, but I didn't want the heat of the moment to blur my thinking. What I wanted to do was to tell her to stick my membership up her a$$ but I've signed up for a year.

Thank God for this forum, and all of you great people, because it takes a LOT for me to lose it (and I just about did) but knowing I had somewhere to go and vent kept my "eye on the prize"!! Anyone have any words of wisdom for me??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-10-04, 11:13

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Oh my, I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. You did a great job on controlling yourself. I think you should say something to the manager the very next time you go. In no way should they be referencing other customers when they are trying to sign up new ones. That is just blatantly wrong!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-10-04, 11:34

I guess it's their willingness to share their ignorance that upsets me most. My goal is to get stronger and build muscle and that doesn't happen when you spend your whole 30 min in a high aerobic zone and spend no effort on the machines. I am there for the resistance. I think I'm getting tired of explaining myself. Another employee, last week sometime, noticed that I was just tapping my toes lightly and breathing deep to get my heart rate down on the recovery pad and said "Taking a little break?" in a "tone" so I said "I'm recovering on this here recovery pad, I want to build muscle not do aerobics". "Hmmmm", was her answer. I mean, come on, read a book or do some research before critisizing!! Geepers...I pay my dues and don't get in anyones way, What's the problem??? It's obvious the employees have no idea what the heck they're doing, just following some cookie cutter handout they must receive when they are hired. I guess I'm not one of the "sheep" they feel they can herd...I wish I knew how to bring this up with the management but I'm concerned I won't get my point across effectively or something....
Whew....thanks for listening, guys!!!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-10-04, 12:24
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Okay, Delta, maybe it's time for you to join a weightlifting gym. You will build a BIT of muscle doing Curves, but you sound "serious", which I think is cool and the management at that place seems not to.

I am NOT slamming Curves. A lot of people find it a really supportive place to get started, and the resistance component makes it rather like a whole-body aerobics programme. But I think you may need something a bit more tailored to your needs.

Just my .02

Good luck. You need to be happy where you train.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-10-04, 12:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built
Okay, Delta, maybe it's time for you to join a weightlifting gym. You will build a BIT of muscle doing Curves, but you sound "serious", which I think is cool and the management at that place seems not to.

I am NOT slamming Curves. A lot of people find it a really supportive place to get started, and the resistance component makes it rather like a whole-body aerobics programme. But I think you may need something a bit more tailored to your needs.

Just my .02

Good luck. You need to be happy where you train.

You are so totally right!!!!!! I am in the process of writing a letter to the manager and explaining why I want out of the contract. When I signed up, I asked the young gal, "What if my fitness level improves to the point where I am not getting a good enough workout and I want to join another gym?" She said, "Well, these machines will always challenge you because of the hydrolics, we just need you to sign up for a year but we don't hold you to it if you want to leave." I am going to get a detailed letter with everything that has gone on and deliver it to the manager. I have decided that I want out of Curves and join a gym where I can work to my full potential!!
I am sick and tired of defending my right to make muscle!!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-10-04, 13:49

Well, I did it!!
I actually feel pretty good, too!! I wrote a "nice" letter to the manager and I will hand deliver it on Monday. I have also looked up the address for a "Ladies Only" gym pretty close to me and will head on over and join there. Built is right. I need to find a place where my goals are supported. Plus, I miss the actual IRON!!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-10-04, 13:51
Registered Member

BF:

I think you'll be happier.

Just make sure you don't get some doorknob who tries to get you to do tons of reps for "toning" or who tells you to do your cardio first. Or God forbid, tries to tell you your diet is all wrong.

Have fun! I look forward to hearing about your progress.

- Built
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-10-04, 13:58

Quote:
I think you'll be happier.

Just make sure you don't get some doorknob who tries to get you to do tons of reps for "toning" or who tells you to do your cardio first. Or God forbid, tries to tell you your diet is all wrong.

Have fun! I look forward to hearing about your progress.

- Built

Honey, I've been listening to your wisdom!!!!
Lift as heavy as I can (with "real" weights, woohoo!! ), cardio after (if even on the same day) and a small protein shake with my glutemine as soon as I get home followed by some real food!!

I think, scratch that... I KNOW I'm ready to get back to some serious training!! Thanks so much for adding to my feeling of "empowerment"!!
You da' greatest!!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-10-04, 14:58
Registered Member

BF:

Ya might even do better with the whey before. I've switched.

And thanks. Now go be awesome.

#10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-10-04, 21:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/187/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Just playing devil's advocate here...but maybe the employee was just using you as an example of how the circuit runs, seeing as the new person may not have been familiar to Curves. The fact that they were both clearly looking at you and knew you were in earshot suggests to me that what they were saying was not a negative thing. Normally when people are saying something bad about someone else, they try to cover it and would probably look away as soon as you looked at them. Try to make the best of the situation and give them the benefit of the doubt. But things are what they are, and if you feel it's time to move on to a different gym, then by all means go for it! No day but today....Starkat
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-04, 08:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkat
Just playing devil's advocate here...but maybe the employee was just using you as an example of how the circuit runs, seeing as the new person may not have been familiar to Curves. The fact that they were both clearly looking at you and knew you were in earshot suggests to me that what they were saying was not a negative thing. Normally when people are saying something bad about someone else, they try to cover it and would probably look away as soon as you looked at them. Try to make the best of the situation and give them the benefit of the doubt. But things are what they are, and if you feel it's time to move on to a different gym, then by all means go for it! No day but today....Starkat

starkat, as much as I would like to deceive myself about the reality of the situation....it was definately negatory!! I think, in retrospect, I was making the workout look harder than she wanted the new recruit to witness as she was signing up!! Anyhoo, I am happy with my decision to leave. I have talked to a gal at the gym I belonged to before and I will be signing up Tues morn, 9am sharp!! Off to greener pastures!!!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-04, 19:09
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 150/115/? Female 63
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default curves

Hi Delta,
I also think you'll be alot happier at the gym. I think curves is a great place for people to get into a routine, but I do think that one will outgrow the workout. Another thing I noticed was that in our local paper they were hiring. They weren't asking for any training credentials (although I know many knowledgable people who aren't certified). They were hiring "sales people". I'm not knocking curves but you have to keep that in mind when getting advice from the employees, at least in my area.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 07:58
Registered Member

Plan: just low carb
Stats: 238/211/190 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%

Why women's only gym? I like to look at the ladies when I work out, not leer, just look. It also makes me work out harder. Dumb, I know, but true nonetheless. I would never consider a dudes only gym
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 08:29
Registered Member

BF:

Personally, I'm with jonthepa here, but ultimately, you have to feel comfortable with your surroundings. Go wherever you WILL go.

I like to look at the boys, though...
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 08:53

Quote:

I like to look at the boys, though...

Me too!!!!Me too!!!
But....gotta focus for the time being. I have some hard work ahead of me for the next few months to get to where I would feel comfortable working out in a "mixed" gym. I'm soooo self-concious and wouldn't be able to focus on the workout and, lets face it, that's the reason I'm there. Maby when I feel confident enough I can convince DH to join the co-ed gym here in Ladner.

The good news is that when I called and talked to the gal in Tsawwassen at Ladies Fitness she said there was a plan that didn't require me to sign up for a specific length of time. Pay $42/mo and I think she said I get the rest of July and August free too. I'll see tomorrow morn when I go in there. I am just wondering what the "initial" fee will be....