Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-19-01, 17:22

Plan: whatever works/whatever is convenient
Stats: 183/183/153
BF:
Progress:
Default Hello

I would like to say hello to everyone out there who is new and old to this site.

I am a person who has been diagnosed with Graves Disease and it has been recommended that a low carb diet is perfect for a person like myself. Since I have been diagnosed, I have had the radioactive iodine and I am now on my first level of thyroid theapy. I am on 25 micrograms of L-Throxine. I am now hypo instead of hyper and I am very sluggish.

I have looked over several low carb diets and they look quite difficult to stay faithful to, but I know I must. I would like to know from someone how to begin my low carb diet (whichever I may choose) and if it is difficult to keep. Also, I would like to know how many people out there has hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism and now on a low carb diet.

One more thing, can anyone recommend a good vitamin.

I am happy to be here with everyone and I hope we can all help each other reach our goals.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-19-01, 17:51
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Welcome aboard Control!

Check out out are Low-Carb Plans forum, it's an ongoing project to review and summarize different low-carb diets. Chose the one you feel more comfortable with.

We also so have a forum dedicated to discussing Thyroid issues.

Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-01, 19:09

BF:
Progress:
Talking Hi Tam

Thank you for your message. I really appreciate it. I hope that I will be able to help out others, as I get better.

I will try out the low carb diet list. What about vitamins? Do you have any suggestions? As I mentioned, I have no energy every since I had my thyroid eradicated. So, I am looking for a vitamin that people who are on a low carb diet or have a hyper-hypo thyroid or both, what vitamins they are taking.

Also, where is the site for the hyper/hypothyroid people?

Thanks again for your help.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-01, 19:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/163/145?
BF:
Progress:
Smile Welcome Control

Hey there Control. I have recently been diagnosed as hypothyroid and am three weeks into the thyroid meds. I must say that I had started my lowcarb wol three months ago with great success, including lower cholesterol. I am waiting for the supplements to kick in because my fatigue has been greater than ever in the last week and I just want to give up. However, coming to this site and hearing lthat everyone has individual challenges has kept me on the lowcarb trail and has made me keep taking my meds and my vitamin supplements. Just waiting now for some relief from the chronic fatigue. Check out the thyroid forum and all the info that Doreen has on this subject. There is a thyroid site at "about.com" which she recommends. It has tons of info and a newsletter to which you can subscribe. We need all the support we can get, right? Anyway, hang in there and visit here often for support and inspiration. Take care. Cheers, Lara
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-01, 11:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

welcome control! i hope your health will improve soon! lowcarbing improves health in so many ways. i'm sure you'll find relief!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-01, 13:42

BF:
Progress:
Talking Thanking my Canadian Sisters

Thanks everybody. I just wanted to let my group out there know that I just bought some Ginsana and a multi-vitamin to get me going.

I did not know that CFS sometimes follows hyper/hypothyroidism. I know that a month after I had my iodine radiation, I was feeling like I had to go to bed. AND I STILL DO. So, I decided to get some vitamins.

In any case, I will be checking into the links, sites and threads to get some info and I wanted to say that I am proud of all of you and thanks for all of your support.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-01, 15:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Default monitor that thyroxine ...

Control, you and your doc should be monitoring VERY closely your thyroxine levels, and adjusting if you feel great fatigue!

the thyroxine is supposed to replace what your now-radiated thyroid produces? Perhaps you should ask your doc if you are then getting both T3 and T4, because normally the thyroid makes one out of the other... and your thyroid won't be making much when the radiation therapy is complete, if I understand it correctly.

Do check with your doc for the details, ok? Thyroid medication of any kind has to be finetuned to the individual, regularly and with great care.

Good luck to you, Control.

PS: The ginsana and vitamins will probably help; you might also consider adding a good B-Complex vitamin mix, ask at the pharmacy. I like Jamieson's brand, if you can get it.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-01, 19:29

BF:
Progress:
Talking I am Blessed

Island Girl,

Thank you so much for the detailed info. My doctor called me two days ago and she wants me to come in on my day off to have another blood test to find out why I feel so whiped out. I am very close to my doctor and I always ask questions.

Thanks for the high-sign on the vitamins and I must start exercising.

This is my final question regarding carbs and then on to the sites.

Do you or anyone else knows how many carbs should we intake?

That's all. Once I get a handle all of this, I will be able to lend a competent hand to someone else.

I successfully quit smoking through another support group on the Net and I have been smoke free for 1 1/2 years, so I believe that I will be able to get everything under, (to coin my user name) Control.

Thanks Island Girl.