Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-22-02, 10:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 214/204/150
BF:
Progress: 16%
Question natural progesterone cream

Hello
question for all
i was on the Pill for a while but quit. Any ways I was regular for while and then abt 2 mnts ago it stopped. i want to start prog cream. Please tell me what kind and how to apply it, any side effects good or bad?
Thank u
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-22-02, 16:25
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 0/241/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 20%
Maya it has worked complete miricles for me. I have tried a couple different kinds. Theyb were both from the health food store. Read articles on internet. I will NEVER go without it again. I apply it 2xs aday .5 tsps. each. 21 days on. and 7 days off. Hope you do it. It along with sp has changed my life!
Ohara
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-02, 10:50

BF:

HI Ohara
thanks for the reply. Which kind do u find works the best?? U say its changed ur life how??? R u regular with it? I really need to get some since its the first time in years ive been this late! I feel so yucky! Could u give me the brand name of the one u prefer and maybe i can start there.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-02, 11:34
Registered Member

BF:
Hi Maya,
I'v used vitimin world brand, which is less expensive and worked great. A 4oz. jar should last 2 months. I then tried a more expensive brand called Femgest. It sold in 2 little 2oz. jars for price of one. I honestly feel the first was alittle stronger and I liked it alittle better. However I found them both to be very good. It also could be my hormones are getting better so I did'nt feel it quite as strong. How has it changed my life???? I went undiagnosed for 14 years (that I know of) Doctors Tested and tested. Treated me like garbage that just ate too much ect ect......I had a great body, very active. When I went through a crises in my life years ago I suddenly gained 65lbs. in 5months! Yes this is true. And no my eating habits did'nt change. I felt tired, cranky, terrific cramping, alot of missed periods. Back then (14 years ago) they did'nt know everything about pcos that they do now. So I couldn't figure it out. My life went into full speed and I put myself on back burner. Was very careful what I ate. To make an even longer story shorter. I would still get tested every year or so hoping they would discover something. Same story same shame. Weight still slowly climbing every year. I was becoming more more desperate. I found through a friend that a hormone test is done throgh saliva not blood!!
So for the NOW THE POSITIVE.....I'm getting straightened out. I could tell a huge difference in mood, carb cravings, energy just with progesterone cream!! I'v also read alot. It has been a savior to my health. I then started sp wol which has been also an additive in the above changes that I listed. The first month on progesterone cream I had the first period that I can remember. They have been regular for three months now. It's due a again this week.
Hope this all helps, and keep me posted!
Ohara
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-02, 15:22

BF:

Oh my gosh that must have been so hard for u. Im so glad ur doin better. Im gonna order the vitamin world asap. Ill let u know how it goes.
Thanks
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-24-02, 12:11

Stats: 215/184/130 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default How does this work exactly?

Does the progesterone cream work like a birth-control pill? Will it work to help leutal phase defects? I remember in both of my pregnancies, I had to take supplemental injections of progesterone serums for the entire first trimester because I was diagnosed with a leutal phase defect (too low progesterone after ovulation) OUCH!

I desperately want to be "regular," but I hate to take provera which my doctor tells me is like taking BC, and it is highly unlikely to become pregnant on a provera cycle.

I appreciate your feedback!

Thanks,

Elizabeth2
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-02, 17:20

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Welcome to the forum, Maya. I haven't tried progesterone cream yet, but after a few months on a BC pill that is based on progesterone instead of estrogen (like most of them are), I am feeling much much better. However, I am planning to go off the pill in a few weeks (when I finish the current course) to see if low-carbing has made any difference. If I have problems, I will then try progesterone cream before I go back on the pill.

Ohara, here's the travesty: The doctors have known about PCOS for over 40 years. But instead of testing women for it, they tell them to lose weight and everything will be fine. I have been the victim of that attitude since I was a teenager (when I started my period I was already suffering from PCOS). It took almost 30 years for a doctor to finally take me seriously and look at something other than my weight as the cause of my problem. And even now my internist and my GYN don't agree (GYN says yes).

Now, I agree that they didn't know then what they know now about treatment. In fact I read one article a few years ago that said that women with PCOS have it because they have a problem with their sexual identity (emotionally that is). In other words, we give it to ourselves. But what makes me very angry is that they have known about this syndrome long enough to research it, but the only reason it is finally getting some attention is the Internet.

As soon as we started communicating and finding out that many more women have it than anyone ever even conceived of, doctors started taking us seriously, sort of. It's still a struggle to get a doctor to test and then admit that you have it. They still just want to send you home with a diet or put you on the pill (and the wrong one at that) to get you out of their hair.

Sorry, I just realized that I'm ranting. When I was first told I "might" have PCOS it was such a relief until I started thinking about it and all the doctors who had done everything in their power to make me feel like there was something wrong with me as a person that was causing my menstrual problems. From this experience I have developed a very jaundiced opinion of doctors and unless they are willing to talk about something other than my weight, I can't give them the time of day.

So back on topic: I have read very good things about progesterone cream and I want to know also -- does it work as birth control or just as a regulator?

;-Deb

Last edited by DebPenny : Fri, Jun-28-02 at 17:35.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-02, 18:55
Registered Member

BF:
I don't know if it acts as birth control. I would definetly ask a proffesional before I tried that one!! I am hoping to conceive in a couple months after I get my weight down some. Progesterone cream is very safe with pregnancy. I have known people that were prescribed this during because their bodies weren't producing any. I have also found that they are discovering this may aide in protection against birth defects. They have also found it aides in seisure disorders. So does lc woe!! Again they complement each other. So no I haven't heard about the birth control part of progesterone cream.
Ohara