Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 02:26

Plan: Mayo Clinic Diet
Stats: 188/169/158 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Smile "Mayo Clinic Diet"

Has anyone tried the low carb-high protein Mayo Clinic Diet? I have found copies of it on the internet. I have questions, and no one to answer them. Does it include cheese in any form? Another question, it says any "red" vegetable. Would that mean beets? Also, what about avacados? They are low carb, but technically considered a fruit. But then, so is a tomatoe, and the copy of the diet says, "no fruits", but then it lists tomatoes as allowed. If anyone has answers I'd appreciate it. I would like to start the Mayo Clinic Diet next week.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 03:39
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Welcome, Lisa! Nice to have you with us!

The Mayo Clinic diet has nothing to do with the Mayo Clinic. If I'm not mistaken, one version of it is also known as the Grapefruit Diet. I think there are probably many members here who have tried it at one time or another.

My recommendation would be that you follow a legitimate low carb diet. Atkins, Protein Power, South Beach ... all are good plans that will help you lose weight quickly, but safely. You can read some information about these plans, as well as a few others, by clicking here.

HTH!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 03:53

BF:

I am just looking for some variety. I've been on the Atkins, Protein Power Plan, Sugar Busters, and Carbohydrate Addicts diets in the past. I am convinced that high protein/low carb dieting is the best for me. I am a registered nurse and know that the "Mayo Clinic Diet" has nothing to do with the Mayo Clinic. But I also know that it has worked well for many. It is only recommended for short periods, like 2 months or less. My husband and I have been on the Atkins for a few months, and would just like a variation for a month or so? The diet talks about high protein foods that are low in carb, but it is not clear to me if cheese is allowed or not. Also, celery is not allowed at all. I don't know what is up with this. Does anyone know? I love beets, and the diet says, "any red vegetable". Does any one have experience with the so-called "Mayo Clinic Diet", the one that the Mayo Clinic hates (but really works)?
Thanks!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 04:09
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have to agree with Kisal.

From what I have read, the "Mayo Clinic" diet is very, very similar to Atkins, with the addition of grapefruit. Adding more carbs to a perfectly good low carb programme makes no sense to me.

If you feel the need for variety, why not have a look through our recipe forums, or google for more low carb recipes. There is a HUGE variety of foods and meals you can eat on Atkins.

All the best to you.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 04:21

BF:

I don't seem to be able to lose weight on the Atkins. I am staying under 25 carbs a day. I feel great, the diet agrees with me, but I need to lose about 20 pounds. I've tried low fat diets, and I actually gain weight on them! I can maintain weight on the Atkins, but have difficulty losing. I have tons of recipes. I have found that sometimes doing something different for a short period does something to"jumpstart" the metabolism, and start the weight losing process again.

I had made the assumption that the Mayo Clinic Diet and the Atkins were similar, but I don't see cheese listed on the Mayo Clinic Diet. Does anyone have any information on this?
Thanks
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 04:56
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Lisa, if you are having difficulty losing on Atkins, I cannot see you losing when you add grapefruit to every meal.

How about giving us some of your regular day's eating, and we may well be able to pinpoint a problem area for you.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 05:13

BF:

Hasn't anyone tried the Mayo Clinic Diet? I just keep responses telling me why it won't work.

As far as my typical eating:
Breakfast: an egg or two, with breakfast meat.
Lunch: A few slices of cheese, and some meat like baked chicken or low carb lunch meat. Sugarfree jello mixed with 1/4 cup of cottage cheese.
Dinner: Salad with fresh vegetables; baked or grilled meat, poultry, or fish; and a cooked vegetable.

I drink sugarfree drink mix, diet soda, water, and coffee.
I make sure that the total daily carbs do not exceed 25.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 06:42

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:

Sorry, I thought the 'Mayo Clinic Diet' was one of those fake/fad diets that got passed around via fax in the 80s/90s and then via the internet. So, no I've never tried it. I do see that the real Mayo Clinic has a sort of diet posted, but it's the typical food-pyramid stuff.

Edit: hey! I hadn't seen the 'fad'-version mayo clinic diet since it got its lowcarb (plus grapefruit, heh) makeover. Back in my day it was like, 1 cracker, 1 oz of tuna, half a grapefruit or something.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 09:11
Registered Member

Stats: 156/154/135 Female 64"
BF:Always on my mind
Progress: 10%

My mother had a copy of that diet for years - everytime she gained a few pounds, she'd go on it and lose every pound. It was the old "original" diet the Dr gave her...

Mayo Clinic Diet:

Grapefruit -Unlimited eggs and bacon cooked in butter, regular coffee with cream for breakfast

Grapefruit - Unlimited meat and 2 cups salad with hi fat dressing, coffee with cream for lunch.

Same for dinner. That was it, no limit on meat, eggs or fat
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 11:30

Plan: lc my way
Stats: 285/207.6/170 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hey Lisa, thats the plan I've been using and I have lost 15 lbs. The grapefruit juice was upsetting my stomach so I just removed it from my diet. Since then my weight loss has stalled. But 15 lbs in a month isnt bad. You can send me a personal message if you want and I can answer some of your questions for you
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 15:26

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

Sorry, but she won't be able to PM you until she hits 25 messages. Just FYI!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 18:25
Registered Member

Plan: low-carb
Stats: 187/182.8/127 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

This is the one I followed a while back and lost a lot of weight. I liked it cause its 12 days on 2 days off. Worked for me. then I got lazy... which seems to happen everytime I lose the weight I want to lose. Nothing to do with any diet in general, just me. You can find it on this website under the Mayo Clinic Diet and The Grapefruit juice diet.

http://www.idiet4u.com/diets/fruitjuicediet.html

A girl I worked with did this diet and her maintenance was to be on the diet during the week then weekends off. Worked great for her.

BREAKFAST:
1/2 grapefruit or 8oz unsweetened juice.
2 Eggs any style
2 Slices of bacon
Black coffee or tea, no sugar

LUNCH:
Salad and or raw veggies (any dressing, {not low fat or fat free})
Meat (Cooked any way)

DINNER:
Meat (cooked any way) Vegetables (any green or red, may be cooked in butter or Seasoning or a salad as above) Black coffee or tea, no sugar

BEDTIME:
(opt) 8oz Tomato juice or skim milk

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. At any meal you may eat until you are full, and you can not eat anymore. You must eat the minimum listed listed at each meal.
2. Do not eliminate anything from the diet, especially don't skip the bacon at breakfast or omit salads. It is the combination of foods that burn the fat.
3. The grapefruit is important because it acts as a catalyst that starts the burning process.
4. Cut down on coffee, it affects the insulin balance that hinders the burning process. Try to limit to one cup each meal.
5. Don't eat between meals, if you eat the combination of food suggested, you will not get hungry.
6. The diet may eliminate sugars and starches. Fat does not form fat, it helps burn it, so you can fry food in butter and use butter generously on vegetables.
7. Do not eat desserts, breads and white vegetables of sweet potatoes. You may double or triple helpings of meat, salads or vegetables. Eat till you are stuffed. The more you eat the more weight you will lose.
8. There may be no weight loss in the first 4 days, but you may lose 5 pounds on the 5th day. You may lose 1 and 1/2 pounds every two days until you reach your goal.
9. DRINK EIGHT 8oz GLASSES OF WATER EVERY DAY. 1/2 GALLON.
THIS DIET IS SAID TO BEEN GIVEN TO HEART PATIENTS NEEDING TO LOSE WEIGHT FAST FOR BY-PASS SURGERY.

ALL SOFT DRINKS NEED TO BE DIET AND CAFFEINE FREE.

YOU MAY NOT HAVE: White onions, potatoes, celery, peas, cereal, carrots, corn, starchy vegetables, bread, noodles, rice, potato chips, pretzels or fruit or diet dressing.

YOU MAY HAVE: Red onions, bell peppers, radishes, broccoli, cucumbers, green onions, leaf spinach, cabbage, tomatoes, green beans, lettuce, chili (no beans) mayonnaise, any cheese, hot dogs, cole slaw, regular salad dressing, green vegetables, 1tsp nuts, dill or bread and butter pickles.

IMPORTANT
STAY ON DIET 12 DAYS AND STOP FOR 2 DAYS
Works out great to start on a Monday because you will have every other weekend off of the diet

Last edited by JustLissy : Mon, Feb-09-09 at 18:33.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 19:26
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Its been my experience eating grapefruit works-- but you wait 30 minutes after eating it to begin your meal. The fruit has a mild laxative effect sending the food thru the GI tract much faster-- I know 1st hand this because I used to have an ileostomy and could watch it happen.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 20:03

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
Its been my experience eating grapefruit works-- but you wait 30 minutes after eating it to begin your meal. The fruit has a mild laxative effect sending the food thru the GI tract much faster-- I know 1st hand this because I used to have an ileostomy and could watch it happen.

Are you saying you had an ileostomy reversed? My son would be VERY interested in hearing about that!!! We had understood that a colostomy could be performed in a reversible manner, but that an ileostomy was permanent.

Thanks for any info!!!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 21:23
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendarc
Are you saying you had an ileostomy reversed? My son would be VERY interested in hearing about that!!! We had understood that a colostomy could be performed in a reversible manner, but that an ileostomy was permanent.

Thanks for any info!!!
I had an infection (perforated colon) so they took ~ 16" out, diverted the small intestine and when I recovered after a year or so they hooked everything back-- I had big open wounds so I had to pack to heal from the inside out. I made a Tripod website all about it.

I thought it was SOP surg for peritonitis? They lap suture the colon and just staple the small intestine. Yeah for awhile I was the "visible man" with a bag hooked to my small bowel, I have big scars still -- thats how I know lemon and grapefruits can make foods like rice or elbow pasta pass thru whole and undigested

I Hope this helps:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...01235429AANlXTv

Last edited by mike_d : Mon, Feb-09-09 at 21:28. Reason: yahoo link