Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#316   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-07, 04:29

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Hey everyone!

I haven't been here in awhile either. Was knocked flat by some sort of flu virus, which my DD very kindly brought back from Greece after her vacation back in July. I was ill for 2 weeks and it's only really since last weekend that I've finally felt up to going back to the gym.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galatia
I finally reached my weight loss goal. My plans are to maintain between 130 and 135 until next year when I'll do another cut. Right now it's going well, but I've heard maintaining is a struggle, so....I'm preparing myself for that
Congratulations You're always such an inspiration, and I'm sure you'll have the same success with maintenance as you've had with your weight loss journey!

Last edited by Dodger : Thu, Sep-13-07 at 07:12.
Sponsored Links
  #317   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-07, 04:43

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Demi, I wish you complete success, in overcoming eating issues and weight problems. I look forward to your updates. How are you feeling so far with the new eating plan?
  #318   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-07, 05:02
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Demi, I think your new program sounds pretty good--too often people focus on the actual weight loss part and not on the "fixing your head" part.
Quote:
Also for the first few weeks, you have to attend a drop-in session to get weighed and to discuss any questions/problems etc., that you might have.
I mentioned protein in the other thread, and I *think* these types of medically supervised programs are a form of PSMF, so you're probably ok on protein, BUT you should let the docs know that you intend to continue your weight-training, and you're wondering if the protein level is adequate. Which at your height would probably be about a minimum of 110-120g.
  #319   ^
Old Sat, Sep-15-07, 22:50

Plan: Organic/Dr. Berg
Stats: 239/201.6/150 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 42%

I would like to hear what everyone has to say about different ways to do squats and why they prefer the equipment they use. I used a barbell totally free until I got up to a weight I couldn't lift over my head. Then I went to the squat rack, which I liked for form and freedom, but didn't like how it broke the blood vessels on my shoulders, even with a pad or manta ray. Now I'm using a Freemotion squat machine, which I like for form and also because of the big pads, doesn't break the blood vessels. This is the one-
  #320   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-07, 07:54

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Hi Seanna. Wow, that squat machine looks interesting. I'm still at low weights for squats, so no help from the peanut gallery here. How does that machine work? Is it like a lever?
  #321   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-07, 11:05

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

From Dr John Briffa's blog:

Quote:
Weight-training found to lead to fat loss in women

Posted By Dr John Briffa On 17th September 2007

Aerobic exercise (such as brisk walking and swimming) has long been recommended as part of a ‘healthy’ lifestyle, particularly with regard to heart and ‘cardiovascular’ health and weight control. However, in recent times there has been a little more focus on the role of ‘resistance’ exercise (such as weight-training) as a means to improve health, wellbeing and weight. With this in mind, I was interested to a read a study published this month in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition which assessed the effects of weight training in a group of overweight women [1].

This American study, conducted in women aged 25-44, assigned participants to either a two-year programme of weight training or a ‘control’ group who received a leaflet geared to encouraging aerobic exercise. Those in the weight training group went participated in two hour-long weight training sessions a week for the first year, after which the session time was cut to 45 minutes. All participants were instructed not to make any dietary changes.

The participants were assessed for a number of body measurements including body mass index (weight in kg divided by the square of height in metres), body fat percentage and amount of intra-abdominal fat (fat within the abdomen which is linked with a increased risk of chronic disease including diabetes).

By the end of the 2-year programme, there was no significant change in BMI between the two groups. However, there was a statistically significant difference in body fat percentage: while the control groups’ body fat was essentially unchanged, the resistance exercisers saw an average reduction in body fat percentage of about 3.5 per cent. The exercising group fared better in terms of intra-abdominal fat too.

The authors of this study conclude that their study: “…suggests that strength training is an efficacious intervention for preventing percentage body fat increases and attenuating intraabdominal fat increases in overweight and obese premenopausal women.”

I suppose it will not come as a particular surprise that weight training compared to doing, essentially, nothing at all, helps reduce fat in the body. The energy expended during the exercise itself may help here. In addition, though, the increased energy demands of bigger and/or stronger muscles may help maintain the metabolism and enhance fat loss ‘for free’.

Some women may be averse to weight training, perhaps on account of the fact that it has a reputation for ‘bulking up’ the body. Interestingly, this study found that while the women who participated in the programme ended up stronger, they did not appear to gain any appreciable muscle mass. Certainly, the results of this study suggest that at moderate levels of weight-training, bulking up is not an issue.

Of course another reason for considering weight training is that the enhanced strength it brings may help to preserve mobility as we age. The fact of the matter is that some elderly individuals lack the muscle-power to, for instance, get out of a chair or carry bags of shopping. Resistance training may therefore help to preserve our health and quality of our lives into old age.

References:

Schmitz KH, et al. Strength training and adiposity in premenopausal women: Strong, Healthy, and Empowered study American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2007;86(3):566-572

http://www.drbriffa.com/blog/2007/0...-loss-in-women/
  #322   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-07, 11:35

Plan: Paleo/Organic Fat Flush
Stats: 193/176/145 Female 5'4.5"
BF:42/31/24
Progress: 35%

Hi Demi,

I wanted to thank you for all the useful articles and blog links that you post.

Congrats on the new program, and good luck! I wish you success.

Kathy
  #323   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-07, 07:47

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 144/120/120 Male 170 centimeters
BF:
Progress:

hi everyone
nice to meet u all
i a newcomer in this forum,i from indonesia,so dont laugh me if my english is bad.
i very like bodybuilding,n want to have a big muscle with little fat of course....can seniors in this thread tell me...can i get some muscle with do Low carb diet?i've readed some articles...said with need high carb to get big muscle....but i have a endomorph body,so if i eat much carb my body will get much fat....
  #324   ^
Old Thu, Sep-24-09, 14:21

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 175/167.7/139 Female 5'6''
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hello Everyone,

I've been on the site for a few years. I am currently working out with a PT 3X a week for 30 min. (I feel it is short but I can't afford more...) We are doing Chest/Tri/Shoulders, Bi/Back/Abs, and then Legs. I am feeling sore at the end of work outs but I am wondering if I am working hard enough....I guess I just answered my own question, huh? I bet i'm not. Well I would like your input. I run for 20 - 30 min. and incorporate sprints into that after every lifting session.
My question is should I go to the gym 4X/week and break up the workouts to 2 body parts a session? Should I ask for heavier weights? My PT is big on proper posture and when I lift to heavy my posture goes out the window.

Ha! after reading this I think i figured out that the solution is to go in 4X/week. Am i right? sometimes it helps to get it out in writing.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  #325   ^
Old Thu, Sep-24-09, 22:34

Plan: Carnivorous / WAPF
Stats: 168/152/145 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

I wouldn't mind this post and mine getting turned into a brand new thread. but to answer a select few questions:

three times a week is fine for most people. exception if you want to be a body builder, or have special rehab needs. you can get a high degree of fitness with only a rather small amount of soreness. you know you can do one set of pullups, one set of pushups, one set of deadlifts and one set of squats 2-3 times a week and be in tremendously good shape from it. your sprints are good too.

regarding heavier weights. if your form is bad you either cut the weight or cut the reps. you say the extra weight leads to bad form. ok. you can still increase the weight if you cut the reps. but there is a tradeoff. the heaviest weights (2 rep max type) lead to very strong burst strength and not much bulking. if you want to hit a baseball out of the park you might like this. a bit lighter (6-10 rep max) is typical body building style. lighter still with sets of 15 won't bulk you as much. it's good for stamina so you can help all your friends move their stuff when they change appartments.
  #326   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-09, 07:21
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Wow, it's pretty cool to see this thread alive again after all this time. Katie, I'm glad you started it back up because this kind of thing is always on my mind even though I've gone through quite a change up in my approach to fitness.

When I was weight training prior to my pregnancy (3 years ago) and working with a trainer, I actually did a 30-60 minute session (sometimes he'd work with me longer, though I paid for 30) just once a week. However, I'd go back 2 more times that week and repeat the things we worked on. It was like going to class and then doing homework. This way I was able to get tips and pointers over a longer period of time. It worked out really well.

As for how much you need to do and how you need to feel, I guess I've changed my mind over time with that. I'm currently in line with Mark Sisson (Primal Blueprint) -- which is also compatible with others like Schwarzbien -- who believes you shouldn't be killing yourself. He does believe in a nice combo of weight training and intervals, which is totally my thing too. I think Jcass is on the money about how much you can reap without being so sore.

Currently I can't afford the gym, let alone a PT. I don't have the time either as I'm caring for a toddler and an elderly Mom (with dementia). However, I have some free weights and some DVDs and some space in my bedroom. Plus I have my bodyweight. And I'm shooting for 2 times a week to do some resistance based workouts to protect my muscle as well as build it back up. I've been mixing it up using the footboard of my bed for angled push-ups and the couch for tricep dips. You name it. Back to basics for me. LOL We'll see how it works.

But the one thing I want to be sure to comment on for you, Katie, is the heavy weight thing. IMO the heavier you're able to go, the better. But feel free to mix it up and listen to your body. If you are extra tired or aren't feeling that strong, go lighter with more reps (like Jcass said). But if you're feeling strong, go heavier and just keep the reps to the point where your form stays good. You are right to be most concerned about form.

The most important thing for you is to keep from injury, so embrace the fact that you aren't feeling all that sore but at the same time do keep challenging yourself. Personally I don't see a need to do resistance training more than 3x/week when you're doing full body and for me the efficiency of that beats any other approach. However, if you want to split the body up and you can afford the time and sessions, go for it. Just remember to build in enough time to REST and let those muscles rebuild and renew.

I'm game to make this a new thread if you'd like. One of us could just copy/paste what's been said into a new post and we can take it from there...
  #327   ^
Old Fri, Dec-25-09, 18:39
Registered Member

Plan: paleo type
Stats: 356/246.6/185 Male 70 inches
BF:23%
Progress: 64%

Hi everyone,

This is an old thread, but it's about what I'm heavily into right now.

Between Septenber 13, 2009 and December 8th I was on a deep weight loss cut which was successful. I lost about 58 pounds in 85 days on a low-cal keto diet. I went from 286 pounds to 227 and my BF decreased about 9% too.

But this is a continuing journey from 4 1/2 years ago at age 56 when I was hospitilized with a nasty infection and weighed in at 356 pounds on the hospital scale. I am now 61 years old and heavily into weight training and I also like aerobics. I weight train 4-6 days per week, and did so even during my cut. I go through cycles sometimes where my training is very intense for 5-6 weeks and my strength shoots way up to peak levels at the end. This is hard on the central nervous system so I usually have to call it quits after 6 weeks at the most as a restless tension begins to inhabit my whole body hours after the workout -- it becomes time to backoff.

These intense cycles get me very, very strong for someone my age, and I love it. I don't try to gain size or large muscle mass at this point although some of it is inevitable. I often work to avoid size gain, especially in arm size and etc. I can usually lift more weight than the guys with arms 2 or even as much as 4 inchs larger than mine.

I'm a believer in good supplements (the healthy ones), and, although they can't out perform drugs, the best are excellent these days. Many are a waste of money too, it takes experimentation and finding people that know what they are talking about to progress.

I started back on somewhat harder workouts a day or to after my cut ended, with intention of going to another high intensity cycle before mid-January. I''ve also stayed low carb even after my deep cut ended. Obviously, hard work and diet are the most essential elements to any kind of workout progress, but there are supplements, preventive measures and outright tricks to allow one to exercise harder, recover faster, and keep injuries at bay. I hope to be able to keep my intense cycle going for at least 12 weeks this time. I believe I can do that, and achieve remarkable results. Should be a blast trying anyway.