Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-26-04, 09:29

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%
Default meds making me sick?

My doctor has me on 500 mg of glucophoge 2x a day. (Just started it 2 weeks ago). Around noon, I start to get a stomachache, and get extremely tired. For 2 days, I have slept from noon on, got up to eat and went back to bed for the night. I also just found out yesterday that I am borderline high for thyroid. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-26-04, 11:49

Plan: SB and IR diet
Stats: 304/280/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 16%

I know when i started my met 500mg a day i had stomach aches the poo's and didnt feel like doing much because of that. They will go away after a week or 2. But just dont stop taking them all of a sudden for an extended period of time because you will have to go through all that again
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-26-04, 11:58
Staying Put

Plan: Atkins/CarbCycling
Stats: 299/252/180 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I has side effects too when I first started taking them, not as bad as you, but I had a tummy upset and certainly felt exhausted. I got feeling sick too for the first few days. My dr suggested to work up the dosage over a few weeks - I went from only one a day for a week to two and so on until by the third week I was up to three tablets a day and feeling absolutely fine on them.
good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-26-04, 15:09

BF:

Thanks.... I will just continue to do what I am doing and hopefully things will straighten out.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 06:53

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Glucophage? Call the nurse?

Not sure if everyone is responding to glucophage specifically. That's supposed to lower your blood sugar, right? So I'd be concerned that I was taking too much and my blood sugar was too low. Get your blood sugar low enough, long enough, and you're dead.

So I'm NOT a medical professional and I DON'T know the specifics of this drug but a phone call to the nurse is free in most cases.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 02:30

Plan: atkins & combining
Stats: 150/140/126 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I started metformin (glucophage) as 1 500mg per day for 2 days then 2 a day for a week then 3 a day until Dr says stop. I got what I described as morning sickness, but quickly realised I got it at food time, so if you eat regular meals or when the sickness strikes it should go away, even if you eat something small like a yoghurt.

hope it helps
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 02:49

Plan: atkins & combining
Stats: 150/140/126 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I started metformin (glucophage) as 1 500mg per day for 2 days then 2 a day for a week then 3 a day until Dr says stop. I got what I described as morning sickness, but quickly realised I got it at food time, so if you eat regular meals or when the sickness strikes it should go away, even if you eat something small like a yoghurt.

hope it helps
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 11:29

BF:

Thank you Star Angel - My doctor said it is completely normal and it will pass, and it has. It does feel like morning sickness.....