Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 14:44
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 155/155/155 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress:
Default Too much protein if on the PP diet?

I've read up on nearly all the LC diets now, and there seems to be a consensus that the body must eitehr use glucose or ketones as the primary source of energy. However, I also have read that if you consume more protein that your body can use for tissue repair and other vital functions, it must be broken down to glucose and used as energy. This could produce an insulin response. While PP may not be extremely high fat, it does seem to be moderate fat. If the fat is not being used for energy (ketone production) then it would seem that the body would be forced to store it as fat (NOOOOO!). This seems to be an inconsistency that is incompatible with very basic LC principles.

Am I misunderstanding something here or is this a valid concern? From what I've read of people's journals, I would think that most people on the PP diet are consuming more protein than their basic functions require. Only people who train with weights need even close to 1 gm per lb of bodyweight (or even more).

Last edited by dirty-c : Mon, Jul-07-03 at 14:46.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 17:57

Plan: LC
Stats: 190/184/150 Female 5 feet, 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

Umm.. what exactly are you asking? Have you read any low carb books?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 18:15
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Dirty-C,

Yes, if you actually buy yourself a copy of Protein power and read it, your fears will be alleviated.

The Drs Eades very clearly state that you can eat more protein than your required amount unless you have damaged kidneys.

Arming yourself with information will make a big difference.

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 09:46

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Well in the book they do stress calculating how much protein each individual needs.... So it depends on the person, however, I believe that you are right...to much isn't good for you... I feel better when I consume at least 60 grams per day....including snacks....

Just my 2 cents...lol

TJ
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 13:26
Renaissance Man

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 298/197.5/185 Male 66 inches
BF:26.08
Progress: 89%
Default too much protein?

I guess I have the same sort of question which is basically:
how do I determine how much protein I should be taking in? Without buying yet another book that is.
I already have Dr. Atkins latest and both the complete and abridged versions of Corinne Netzer's nutritional count books.
In Dr. Atkins he says that excess protein can be converted to and burned as sugar which leads me to believe it is foolish to limit sugar intake and carb intake if I am taking in so much protein that my body can burn it instead of the fat which is the whole reason I am on this kind of diet in the first place.
O n the Protein Power site it talks about grams per Lean Body Mass. I got news for everyone, my body ain't exactly lean...that is why I dieting.
Seriously, I fit the very active category since I work out in the gym two hours each day, one a.m. and one p.m.. How do I determine an approximate quantity of protein that I should be taking in each day?
Thanks
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 17:50
Forum Moderator

BF:

Quote:
how do I determine how much protein I should be taking in?

Hi lasert, this is from the Protein Power website:http://www.eatprotein.com/answers1.htm#1c
Quote:
How do you calculate protein requirements?

The minimum protein requirement ranges from 0.6 to 1 gram per pound of lean body mass depending on the level of physical activity. It is calculated like this:

Sedentary. A person who gets no physical activity needs 0.5 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass.

Moderately Active. Someone who exercises 20-30 minutes two or three times per week needs 0.6 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass.

Active. Someone who exercises 30 minutes or more three to five times per week needs 0.7 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass.

Very Active. A person who exercises an hour or more at least five times per week needs 0.8 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass.

Athlete. A competitive athlete who trains twice a day for an hour or more needs 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass.

We also recommend that if someone is more that 40% overweight they should increase their protein requirement one level.

To calculate your lean body mass, you have to find out your body fat, and subtract. There are many different ways of calculating body fat - you'll find a few in a sticky in the Body For Life forum. You'll find some more here. Different methods of calculation will give differing numbers. The best idea is to always use the same one, so you'll be aware of changes.

HTH

Rosebud
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 02:45
Renaissance Man

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 298/197.5/185 Male 66 inches
BF:26.08
Progress: 89%

Thanks very much Rosebud
According to those calculations, I have only been eatingabout three times the amount of protein I should be consuming. Might explain why my weight loss has been fairly steady, but much slower than one would expect when my carbs are consistently under 25 all the time, usually way under.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 21:31
Contributing Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 225/210/125 Female 61
BF:40

I don't get it. Calculating how much carbs / protein I should eat.

I did figure out I have 38% body fat (damn)
I am sedetary
210lbs
5'1"

Can someone help me out, my book got packed and put in storage.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 21:54
Forum Moderator

BF:

Hi Dreamer,

If you have 38% body fat (not all online or other calulators are totally accurate, so don't sweat it - just think of it as a guide), then your lean body mass (LBM) - muscle, bone, organs etc - will make 62% of 210. Therefore your LBM is (about) 130 pounds.

So if you want to make sure you are getting enough protein, you simply calculate your requirement from the info I posted above.
For example, if you are moderately active (and I hope you are at least that ) you should be getting 0.6 X 130 (=78)g protein daily.

Just remember that these are the minimum amounts we need to eat. As the Eades make very clear, unless you have some degree of kidney failure, it is perfectly safe to eat more protein than your actual requirement.

HTH

Rosebud
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 22:38
Contributing Member

Rosebud

You are so wonderful and I appreciate it with all of my heart. My question is should I eat the min everyday and try not to go over?
What if I eat under?

Once again you are a life saver.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 23:14
Forum Moderator

BF:

Hiya Dreamer,

You should aim for the minimum every day - it's just that - a minimum.
Going over is fine - as long as your kidneys in fine fettle.

Going under now and then won't be a big drama, but try not to do it too often or you may find yourself losing more muscle than you'd like.

Do you use Fitday to work out your levels?

Rosebud
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 23:26
Contributing Member

When you say levels, what does that mean?
I log everything faithfully into fit day.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 23:34
Forum Moderator

BF:

Sorry to confuse you, matey. All I meant by "levels" is the amount of protein you're getting each day.

Fitday will tell you if you are getting your 78g or more.

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 21:38

Plan: The Fat Burning Diet
Stats: 166/159/141 Female 161
BF:
Progress: 28%
Talking Hi Rosebud

I ive in Sydney Australia and have just recently found this great site I would very much appreciate your input in relation to the amount of protein I should be eating. I exercise 6 sometimes 7 times per week four around 45 minutes to 60 minutes per session (high intensity) . I am a female who is 49 years young and I currently weigh 71.8 kilos. Could you possible convert that into the amount of protein I should be consuming each day. I am terribly worried that I am over doing it and i don't want to do thatI look forward to your response if you can spare the time. Take care and God Bless America
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 06:14
Forum Moderator

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skully
I ive in Sydney Australia and have just recently found this great site I would very much appreciate your input in relation to the amount of protein I should be eating. I exercise 6 sometimes 7 times per week four around 45 minutes to 60 minutes per session (high intensity) . I am a female who is 49 years young and I currently weigh 71.8 kilos. Could you possible convert that into the amount of protein I should be consuming each day. I am terribly worried that I am over doing it and i don't want to do thatI look forward to your response if you can spare the time. Take care and God Bless America

G'day Skully, good to meet another Aussie!

Okay, you currently weigh 158 pounds. From what you describe, I'd call your exercise regime Very Active, which requires a minimum of 0.8g protein per pound of your lean body mass (see my post above posted July 17th at 0950). You describe your fat as 34% - is that right? If so, your lean body mass will be 104 pounds. So your protein requirement will be 83g. Remember, this is a minimum. And that also assumes your body fat to be 34% - are you sure that is accurate? It seems to me if you are exercising, and you only weigh 158 lbs, that your body fat will probably be less than that.

Absolutely do not worry about overdoing it. See what the Eades say about eating more protein than the recommended amount:
Quote:
Is it all right to eat more protein than my recommended amount?

Yes. You can eat more protein if you still are hungry, providing you do not have any existing kidney problems. We would monitor your intake more closely in that situation.

http://www.eatprotein.com/answers1.htm#1d

You will occasionally see people worrying about excess protein turning into glucose. Again, don't worry about that. You would have to be eating huge amounts of protein for that to happen.

Are you using Fitday? If so, how much protein have you been getting? I tend to doubt you've been overdoing it.

All the best!

Rosebud