Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-06-04, 14:34

Plan: parts of them all
Stats: 181/166/165 Male 5' 8"
BF:25%/9%/12%
Progress: 94%
Default The "No 'S' Diet"

I don't know whether this qualifies as good humor or good advice. Maybe both.

A "fourteen-word diet plan", and a fun read:

http://www.nosdiet.com/

Tired of the discipline and sugar restrictions in low-carb diet plans? So's this guy. He prescribes discipline and bans sugar.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-06-04, 15:42

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

He also has a link in there to an old Heart Association article (2001) that tells all of the same crap about raising our cholesterol, eating nothing but red meat and dairy.

Sounds like the same old BS to me.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-06-04, 21:37
Registered Member

Plan: Aaisier Zuccarum Plan
Stats: // Female 52
BF:
Progress: 34%

Its not that shabby actually. I'm still in research mode and will eventually make my educated guess about diet. I am currently eating "normal" and putting it all in Fitday as part of my research on diet, food and health. Everyday I learn a little more. Sometimes its hard to distinguish fact from opinion. The only 2 real truths I have uncovered are : Antioxidents ROCK and any diet that isn't rich in these, is certainly inadequate. And secondly, too much of anything is bad.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-07-04, 15:33

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

I doubt very many people would be overweight if this "diet" was easy to do this day and age. It's basically the way things were, before the 1950's (and the advent of prepackaged sugary, snacky cr*p.) Back then, the woman was in the kitchen all day, cooking 3 sequare meals a day for her family. Obesity wasn't a huge problem then. But things have definitely changed.
A lot of people find it hard to get thru the day without snacks now.
The author of the nos diet hasn't come up with anything new...maybe he just doesn't know that the reason for all the new diets (atkins, etc.) is because peoples attitudes towards food are far, far away from his. If we could all simply eat (and not OVEReat,) 3 balanced meals a day, without unnecessary snacking and sweets, we WOULD. But it's not that easy or simple anymore.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-07-04, 19:12
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by seyont
I don't know whether this qualifies as good humor or good advice. Maybe both.

A "fourteen-word diet plan", and a fun read:

http://www.nosdiet.com/

Tired of the discipline and sugar restrictions in low-carb diet plans? So's this guy. He prescribes discipline and bans sugar.

On one hand I agree with his caricature of the LC diets.

However there are some of us out there who genuinely do have metabolic problems and don't tolerate carbohyrate well at all. It's not exclusively a problem of the heart or mind with food for all of us. I think I fall into that camp. Though I do recognize my behavior and emotional usage of food did contribute significantly to my obesity (and also to my thinness today), I also recognize that physical metabolic intolerance to high carbohydrate diets played a hand too.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-07-04, 19:31
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:

Oh and his advice against artificial sweeteners is just ridiculous.

Point 1: This is subjective. Personally, my brother likes sucralose products better than real sugar, as do I. Don't get me wrong, sometimes sugar is better, but when it comes to stuff like polaner's no-sugar added jam, and vermont's maple syrup, I (we both actually) like fake better. When you eat an unprocessed diet, a "regular" american diet (and the foods consumed within) are much too sweet.
Oh, and as a side note... I find those who are addicted to sugar are the ones who usually can't stand fake sugar. My sister, my mom, they are both sugar junkies and can't stand the taste of the fake stuff. Me and my brother on the other hand aren't, and we find fake sugar often times superior to the real thing. In the case of both my sister and mother, I think in their brains they associate the taste of true sugar with the "sugar high". They can easily distinguish between fake and real because fake doesn't come with a rush... it just tastes nasty and excessive.

Point 2: A valid point... but I seriously doubt it. I honestly think many artificial sweeteners are healthier than the real thing. Besides, it's not like AS is the only fake food we're consuming. Seeing as the whole basis of this diet is to change as little about your eating as possible while still becoming thin (a worthy goal), you're likely still consuming all that processed chemical crap in boxed foods.

Point 3: Eating non-caloric sweet tasting food might do this, but using splenda sweetened jam instead of a sugar with your highly caloric pb sandwich, or using a packet of splenda on your oatmeal instead of the real thing isn't going to. If you are ingesting adequate calories with the AS, you aren't going to "fool your brain" into unlearning sweet taste = high nutrition. The mice in the studies were fed fiber with the sweet taste. That's a big difference.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-08-04, 14:20

Plan: Atkins-like
Stats: 215/170/170 Male 70
BF:

By forbidding carby snacks and sweets, this guy is pretty much suggesting a combination of carb cycling and portion control. I can see some merit to his proposal. I can certainly relate to his observation that maintenance is harder than losing. And I like his assertion that habit is the key. Habit is also the key to LC.

All in all, if you take his advice and don't let yourself go hog-wild on the weekends/holidays, you'll wind up eating more-or-less Atkins maintenance.

His homemade exerciser (shovelglove, although for the life of me I don't see where he gets this monicker) looks like a broken toe waiting to happen. And a lot of dents in the hardwood floor.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-08-04, 16:06

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

Hi Tom. I agree with you about the "shovelglove" looking like a broken toe waiting to happen. My crazy fiancee has been working out with a sledgehammer in our garage/gym, and I want him to stop SO BADLY! He doesn't even wrap it in anything. It's pretty funny, but seems too dangerous. On the other hand, it seems to be a pretty intense workout...
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-04, 09:10

BF:

It sure put some abs on the No-S diet guy, gotta give him that!

I just dug a 35-foot-long trench in the yard, 1-foot wide by 1 foot deep. Installed new drain tile. I could've rented a backhoe and got it done in fifteen minutes, but I figured it would be good exercise and would put the effort to use. Saved $200.

It seems like all this exercise effort is wasted when you don't accomplish anything with it. They should hook up the exercise bikes to the grid and allow us to generate electricity or something. Sort of a calories to kilowatts program.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-04, 09:12

BF:

By the way, I use a maul frequently to split logs. You might buy your fiance some steel-toed boots for Christmas.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-04, 14:14

BF:

On more thing, I tried the No-S approach at dinner last night wthout telling my wife. I heaped my plate up pretty good, and did not get seconds. Not sure it made a difference in my consumption, but like he said it certainly made an impressoin about my portion size. My wife commented on my giant plate of food this morning, when I told her what I was doing. I suppose if I am shamed into keeping the plate not quite so full, I might even benefit from this approach. I'm still keeping LC though, and no cheating on weekends.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-04, 17:20
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
Oh and his advice against artificial sweeteners is just ridiculous.

Point 1: This is subjective. Personally, my brother likes sucralose products better than real sugar, as do I. Don't get me wrong, sometimes sugar is better, but when it comes to stuff like polaner's no-sugar added jam, and vermont's maple syrup, I (we both actually) like fake better. When you eat an unprocessed diet, a "regular" american diet (and the foods consumed within) are much too sweet.
Oh, and as a side note... I find those who are addicted to sugar are the ones who usually can't stand fake sugar. My sister, my mom, they are both sugar junkies and can't stand the taste of the fake stuff. Me and my brother on the other hand aren't, and we find fake sugar often times superior to the real thing. In the case of both my sister and mother, I think in their brains they associate the taste of true sugar with the "sugar high". They can easily distinguish between fake and real because fake doesn't come with a rush... it just tastes nasty and excessive.

Point 2: A valid point... but I seriously doubt it. I honestly think many artificial sweeteners are healthier than the real thing. Besides, it's not like AS is the only fake food we're consuming. Seeing as the whole basis of this diet is to change as little about your eating as possible while still becoming thin (a worthy goal), you're likely still consuming all that processed chemical crap in boxed foods.

Point 3: Eating non-caloric sweet tasting food might do this, but using splenda sweetened jam instead of a sugar with your highly caloric pb sandwich, or using a packet of splenda on your oatmeal instead of the real thing isn't going to. If you are ingesting adequate calories with the AS, you aren't going to "fool your brain" into unlearning sweet taste = high nutrition. The mice in the studies were fed fiber with the sweet taste. That's a big difference.
I didn't find it ridiculous personally.
1. I think is subjective to personal taste buds. I find AF fairly good in some things and quite awful in others.
2. I find this one quite plausable. FDA is notorious for giving something an endorsment only to come back and slap a skull and crossbones on it. From diet to the latest drugs, who knows, it might kill you in 10 years.
3. Hmmmm. Let's break this down. Artificial sweetners are created and consumed for only one reason: to make something that doesn't taste sweet naturally, taste sweet. Fooling the brain, no? If you are committed to not eating things that are carb laden, why bother making them taste so?

I think he leans more toward my thoughts lately, which in summary seems as though, we Americans are constantly looking for the best way to make our food behave, instead of ourselves.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-04, 21:07

Plan: Semi-LC/Alt. Day Fasting
Stats: 229/221/150 Female 5'8"
BF:Goal is 22%
Progress: 10%

Hey Woo,

I'm a sugar junky, tried and true. I never really got the "rush" from sugar, but crave sweetness. I am just fine with just about any manner of artificial sweetener, except for saccharine. Yuckly.

I also notice I'm in the minority among sugar junkies, and have to agree that most refuse to partake in artificial sweeteners. "Oh, I hate Diet SoandSo."

Well, that's part of the reason you're fat, darlin'.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Nov-10-04, 09:13

BF:

I'd agree that artificial sweeteners are in effect fooling yourself. However, for those of us who grew up eating and enjoying sweets, I think they are necessary at least in the interim, as a means of having a cheat without actually cheating.

I am finding that as I progress, I need those fake cheats less and less. But I also think I'll never completely rid myself of the urge to have something sweet.

As for their safety, no I don't really trust the companies nor the FDA. But the human experiment has been going on for quite awhile now for many of these sweeteners, and so far so good.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Nov-10-04, 15:55
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickySail
Hey Woo,

I'm a sugar junky, tried and true. I never really got the "rush" from sugar, but crave sweetness. I am just fine with just about any manner of artificial sweetener, except for saccharine. Yuckly.

I also notice I'm in the minority among sugar junkies, and have to agree that most refuse to partake in artificial sweeteners. "Oh, I hate Diet SoandSo."

Well, that's part of the reason you're fat, darlin'.

They are fat in part due to disliking diet products? Well, thank God for big corporations who are ready to produce as many diet so and so's as the obese will buy into. We should all be slim and trim by now.

I guess one could argue that if a person thinks they are a sugar junkie that having AS would be like having "near beer" to the alcoholic.