Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 19:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin
Stats: 203/170/165 Male 72 Inches - Medium Frame
BF:
Progress: 87%
Default Holy Grail of all diets?

OK, I agree that the Don Gorske Diet may not be perfect but Atkins has it’s shortcomings as well. I’m now doing Atkins and have been stalled for three months!! Atkins generally is great but as we all know, in the stall department it really sucks. If nothing changes, I’ll be stalled forever.

It’s common knowledge that thinking outside the box leads to innovation and creativity. Dr. Atkins and Don Gorske were both doing that when they created their diets 30 years ago. Both concepts were extremely controversial when first introduced but today are revered by thousands worldwide.

With the Atkins and Gorske methodology in mind, I’m considering combining the Atkins and Gorske plans. Two meals a day on Atkins and one meal a day on Gorske seems reasonable. I’m not for a moment suggesting a drastic change to Atkins, just a slight tweaking with a tiny bit of Gorske added in. It would still be almost pure Atkins.

Combining different diets seems to work for others. Could this blend of two plans be the answer we’ve all been praying for? Might this out of the box concept lead us to the Holy Grail of all diets?

William

Last edited by Willam : Wed, Oct-20-04 at 19:47.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 19:50

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 250/190/185 Male 6' 1"
BF:30+/16/15
Progress: 92%

So you have stalled for 3 months. So what? Do you feel great? Do you have much more energy than you did when you started low carbing?

Then why would you want to go back to eating junk food - even for "one meal a day"

Up your exercise program. Concentrate on healthy fats and protein. Watch your portion sizes And rejoice that you have found the way of life that has made you this fit and healthy.

Cheers,

Malcolm
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 22:15

Plan: Atkins/PP + lots of H20
Stats: 203/160/140 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Stalls happen on all diets, it's not as though they're unique to Atkins.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 22:20
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Well, it might be the Holy grail you're looking for. I guess we all have to adapt our plan to suit our own bodies!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-21-04, 14:39
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yeah, stalls happen. People do all kinds of things to figure out how to make themselves start losing again. For me, it was nothing fancier than cutting calories.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-21-04, 16:00

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

"OK, I agree that the Don Gorske Diet may not be perfect but Atkins has it’s shortcomings as well. I’m now doing Atkins and have been stalled for three months!!"

1. What is the Don Gorske Diet?
2. Stalls happen....no matter what the diet
3. You posted in August, 2 months ago that you'd broken your stall by refeeding.....is that inaccurate?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-21-04, 16:53
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Oh William!!!!! I've missed you

(Gorske - wouldn't be German for Ritz would it) - don slap me William
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-21-04, 17:05

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
1. What is the Don Gorske Diet?

Don Gorske is the guy that has eaten over 20,000 Big Macs and pretty much lives on a couple of Big Macs, a small fry and regular Coke (and not much else) every day.
http://www.wasteoftechnology.com/motw123.shtml
He says his total cholesterol (note: we know nothing of the breakdown) is below 160.
Let's see...transfats, acrylamides and sugar...Oh, my!

Willam, if you really want to mix chowing down on Big Macs with Atkins, it's certainly your right to give it a try, but I doubt you'll find too many people that think it's a great idea. I'd also suggest that you get your cardiac profile done before you start this plan and then have it checked 3 months in.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 04:22

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

that video repeating his bites of the big mac is gross!

IMO, you're looking for an excuse to go off plan (LCing)...

I'm thinking this guy just has the "right" metabolism/genes to be able to handle this diet.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 08:27
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care
Progress: 100%

I know that personally I am so addicted to sugar that I will, at times, find any insane justification to eat it to excess. It shows, in my opinion, how addicted to junk you really are William, if you are thinking about mixing Atkins with big macs. I sympathize, of course, with the addiction. However, I don't think you'll find much support to try losing weight with big macs.

You are so close to goal, William. Why not just stay on a plan you know is healthy?
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 08:32
PuertoRican Princess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willam
OK, I agree that the Don Gorske Diet may not be perfect but Atkins has it’s shortcomings as well. I’m now doing Atkins and have been stalled for three months!! Atkins generally is great but as we all know, in the stall department it really sucks. If nothing changes, I’ll be stalled forever.

It’s common knowledge that thinking outside the box leads to innovation and creativity. Dr. Atkins and Don Gorske were both doing that when they created their diets 30 years ago. Both concepts were extremely controversial when first introduced but today are revered by thousands worldwide.

With the Atkins and Gorske methodology in mind, I’m considering combining the Atkins and Gorske plans. Two meals a day on Atkins and one meal a day on Gorske seems reasonable. I’m not for a moment suggesting a drastic change to Atkins, just a slight tweaking with a tiny bit of Gorske added in. It would still be almost pure Atkins.

Combining different diets seems to work for others. Could this blend of two plans be the answer we’ve all been praying for? Might this out of the box concept lead us to the Holy Grail of all diets?

William

Perhaps you need to revise your menu. Maybe you are doing something to cause this stall, even though stalls are common in any weight loss plan.

It could be the simplest of things, you may not even realize you are doing it. Or you do know you are doing it but don't want to admit it or think it will get better on its own.

Try posting some menu's so we can help ya find where you are going wrong.

Good luck finding that Holy Grail.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 08:40

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
It’s common knowledge that thinking outside the box leads to innovation and creativity. Dr. Atkins and Don Gorske were both doing that when they created their diets 30 years ago.

While I agree that "thinking outside the box" leads to innovation and creativity, let's take a look at why Don Gorsky says he eats almost nothing but Big Macs and Coke:

Quote:
Gorske eats almost nothing but Big Macs and drinks basically nothing but Coke and has been doing so for 25 years now. "I admit I'm obsessive compulsive," he says. "I have so many compulsions."

Thinking outside the box (hmm...don't Big Macs come in a box? ) had nothing to do with Don Gorsky has been eating for the past 25 years, obsessive/compulsive disorder did and it's just fortunate for him that his body hasn't completely rebelled by now.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 12:21

Plan: Atkins-like
Stats: 215/170/170 Male 70
BF:

Eating Big Macs gives most people a big butt. So only eating them half the time, and doing Atkins the other half, would quite naturally be a half-a$$ed approach.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 12:25

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

It reminds me of a social history book I just read, "The Fasting Girl."

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=glance&s=books
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 15:00
Registered Member

Stats: 200/176/176 Male 5' 8"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willam

Has Don Gorske ever been obese before he started his dite? According to what I read, he is just a man who maintains the same weight no matter how much he eats. This is nothing extraordinary, there are people like him everywhere. Don't ever assume that your body will react the same when you eat his food.

Anyway, Big Mac is not too bad. It's a complete meal, it gives 600 calories and only 44 net carbs. You can reduce the carbs substantially if you eat it without the bun. Eating Big Mac is not against Atkins rules unless trans fats are used to make it.