Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-07, 23:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/180/150 Female 5ft5inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Im on Induction and my veg. daughter is visiting

I'm on day 5 (I think) induction- and I am a meat eater- However, my daughter is coming home from college Tomorro! . She is a vegetarian. She does eat eggs, cheese, and fish...just no meat or chicken(or jello). She has put on alot of weight- I'm not going to try and convert her to a meat eater but I'd like her to try lo carb. She has bad bad bad heartburn- and I know that was one of my probs when I ate lots of carbs. So I was thinking- since I have her "captive" for 20 days- maybe I could get her eating right instead of noodles and mmevery day-all while NOT going off my induction! Major deal is to teach her to cook healthy & quick things she can afford. I want to support her without screwing up myself. Any suggestions on how to get her to try books that a 19 yr old will not immediately blow off?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-16-07, 10:47

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

You could show her the 30 Day Low Carb Diet Solution by Mike and Mary Dan Eades (of Protein Power fame...) It's an easy, accessible read, and vegetarian friendly while emphasizing adequate protein, good fats and getting rid of carbs.

You're not going to convert your daughter, or teach her to cook, in less than three weeks...but if she's already eating dairy, eggs and fish, both of you can easily eat the same low carb meals containing those elements.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-07, 07:12
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks, I'll check out the bookstore today!... she does know how to cook- she just makes high carb choices...
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-07, 08:07
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'd be willing to bet the grains are giving her heart burn.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-07, 22:47

Plan: Nutritarian
Stats: 248/208/168 Male 5'9"
BF:Waist 46?/34/?
Progress: 50%

Janet, keep her away from grains and junk, and that is a start. Fish and eggs are healthy eating. Greens are low carb and vegans are allowed to eat them, and on average the calories from greens are around 50% protein. Bok choy is 74% from protein, 9% from carbs - very good for Atkins induction and very good for vegetarians. Steamed bok choy is decent with a little vinegar and Mrs Dash, which also adds little or no carbs.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-07, 08:28
Registered Member

BF:

I had a long talk with her- about the heartburn. First she did the teenager-defensive mode- anti anything I said... Then I explained a couple of things I've learned off the forum- and that I wasn't trying to change her at all-Shes an adult now- I am just concerned with the heartburn. I think it finally clicked! I've been using lindas lo carb recipes alot- so I'm hoping to get her from just doing as much pasta and bread as usual.
I didn't realize greens had protien.. she likes them- so that is a good start!
Thanks everyone!