Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-08, 22:34

Plan: Nutritarian
Stats: 248/208/168 Male 5'9"
BF:Waist 46?/34/?
Progress: 50%

I don't eat white anything ever - rice, potatoes, pasta, bread, except that I have a doughnut every year. Pretty much the only grains I eat are oatmeal and a local bread made from germinated seeds instead of flour.

I limit cooked starchy colourful vegetables, grains and bananas to a couple of servings a week, or to small amounts daily in a recipe of soup, salad or desert.

I seldom drink storebought juice, and if I do it will be juice that still has the fibre in it - OJ and a local prune juice. Much more often I make a juice with lots of cabbage and a little apple. The taste is more pleasing than it sounds and I am starting to think the apple is unnecessary.

My core foods are nonstarchy vegetables, low sugar fruits, pulses, nuts and seeds.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-08, 10:16

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%
Default 96?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutty
???

same as other people here I guess. Like bread, potato, corn, sugar, rice......

Alternatives? soy flour, flax meal, vegetables, nuts..

Why should this question be different between veggies and non-veggies?

You weigh 96 pounds? I hope your 4'11".
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-08, 10:33

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringatica
I am on the 13th day of Atkins Induction, I am a veg. for years who eats dairy and fish (fish only within the last 5 years though),

You are not a vegetarian. You are a pescatarian, if you eat fish. You could always say, semi-vegetarian.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-08, 07:39

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc veggie
hmm. i have to cut out soy.
Help! i guess it's beans and nuts are all that's left?
what about dairy - what's a good percentage of dairy for total protein intake?

I would say that maybe 25% - 40% of my protein intake comes from dairy...I use kefir (2g protein per ounce), ricotta cheese (7g protein per 1/4 cup), hard cheeses (7g protein per ounce) and whey protein isolate (Isopure, 25g protein per scoop) and I use almost all of them daily.

Having to cut out soy is tough if you're trying to do this vegetarian...but there are some more choices besides beans and nuts.

If you don't have a wheat allergy, you can use vital wheat gluten (the protein, non-carby portion of wheat) to make seitan (wheat meat). Some of the Quorn products derive their proteins from mycoproteins based on mushrooms and egg proteins (careful, some have soy in them, too.)

And don't forget about eggs...if you're ovo-lacto veg, eggs are the easy choice (6-8g protein per egg, depending on size.) You can also make use of egg white protein, etc.

Hope this helps.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-08, 15:54
WONJ#3

Plan: 12 steps
Stats: 238/210/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 30%

I eat lots of Baked Tofu as my protein - very low in carbs.

I also eat Boca Burgers which are amazingly good. I get the Vegan kind and can eat them all day.

I don't know if you have a Trader Joe's nearby, but I but Vegen Meatless Meatballs.

Those are staples I live off of.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-08, 07:35

Plan: -
Stats: 132/128/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress:

I eat a lot of nuts and seeds, and a big protein shake every morning. That keeps me full pretty much all day. Dinner is usually tofu, seitan or TVP, none of which is very filling to me, so I'd rather eat nuts and drink shakes to curb hunger.