Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-14, 14:38
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I have a ketosis blood monitor and I got into some very hefty ketosis at 50g of total carbs. I was eating quite a few LC veggies. In fact, increasing my fiber through eating lots of fat drenched veggies helped me lower my protein, which made my ketosis much deeper.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-14, 14:55
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I have a ketosis blood monitor and I got into some very hefty ketosis at 50g of total carbs. I was eating quite a few LC veggies. In fact, increasing my fiber through eating lots of fat drenched veggies helped me lower my protein, which made my ketosis much deeper.

Same here, Nancy.
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-14, 17:15
It's Only Food!

Plan: Ketogenic / IF
Stats: 279/248/210 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawNut
Actually it'd be much easier if fiber were already subtracted from the carb count as it is in the U.K.

I think that may be true for some. Age has a lot to do with tolerance or intolerance as the case may be. I'm one of those who needs to be very careful with total carb count which is why I think embracing net carbs and thinking fiber is "free" may lead some to stalls and frustration. Each body reacts differently to insulin. I'm in the process of eliminating insulin resistance and in so doing making it simple. Duke states 20 g. total carbs and that works for me. We all have to find our zone.
  #49   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-14, 22:52
Registered Member

Plan: Westman Diet
Stats: 235/189.2/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:40/32/25
Progress: 54%

Well, it's been 12 days today since I started on the Westman diet using the booklet. I am down 6+lbs and thrilled about it. I actually forgot to eat dinner tonight but I guess that's ok. I'm finding this plan to be remarkably easy and desirable. Like it was made for me. Thanks everyone for your guidance and support.
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-14, 02:36

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Great News, love that you check in with your success. Don't be dismayed if weight loss settles into only a pound or two a week now..it's all fat and all a reduction towards your goal.

Forgetting to eat dinner is a sign you are in ketosis and burning your own fat for fuel. That is not only OK but what we want, and Dr Westman is OK with that too. He said Tuesday's group meeting he supports intermittent fasting...some of his "star patients" only eat one meal a day, but suggests that you do eat something each day. A number of women I know in that group believe when they eat breakfast, even just 2 eggs in butter, they are more hungry later for lunch. They have coffee with heavy cream or coconut oil instead. Any fasting you do should not be forced, not white knuckling through hunger, but just "forgetting" to eat because you are not hungry due to your dietary fat intake or ketosis.
  #51   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-14, 03:10
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Forgetting to eat dinner is a sign you are in ketosis and burning your own fat for fuel. That is not only OK but what we want, and Dr Westman is OK with that too.

This is great news for me. Thanks! And I'm real fine with a pound a week. I'm not afraid of stalls (been on a 2-year stall until Westman) because I'm loving the food and the plan, and especially the way I'm responding to food today. I can wait it out.

Seems the universe is with me on this as well ...I attended a wedding today, and the menu was pulled pork, coleslaw, potato salad and fruit. Well, the pulled pork had no sauce mixed in, so it was just roasted and pulled. There was shredded cheese and chopped onion on the side, so I loaded up on the pork, added some cheese and onion on top, and I was a happy camper. Absolutely no desire for the wedding pies (in place of the usual cake), and when I got home, well, that's when I forgot to eat dinner.
  #52   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-14, 03:21
Registered Member

Thumbs up

I also want to say to anyone just starting on this plan to hang in there. I set my intention to follow the directions as written on page 4 and give it a chance. It took about 3 days before I could really feel the shift in my appetite. So glad I pushed through, and hope I can give support to others the way I've received it here!
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-14, 15:43
Registered Member

Question

I would like to know more about Dr. Westman's involvement with the KE Diet. I am fine using his clinic plan, but I am so curious, since this KE Diet seems to be controversial. Personally I see it as much more suitable than Bariatric surgery. Thoughts?

Also, is there a way I can search on "Westman" and get the posts/threads on him?

Thanks.
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-14, 16:03

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjmc

Also, is there a way I can search on "Westman" and get the posts/threads on him?

Thanks.

The plain 'ole search box above doesn't work well here, but if you click advanced search under it, then use the google box, that does work resulting in many pages. Check the various forums where his program or books might be discussed. However, you will be overwhelmed, and I do not know how to limit the results using that search box.
He is also one of the authors of New Atkins for a New You, authored or involved with dozens of published clinical research studies, and there are many videoed lectures and interviews with him over the years. This latest review study on using low carb for diabetes was excellent, which of course, got little media attention.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=461820

Many major studies are listed in the back of his new book, KetoClarity.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=462019

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Aug-12-14 at 03:24.
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-14, 09:24
Registered Member

Smile

Thank you. Gotta get the hang of the forums!
I already have Keto Clarity (just came out, just got it! — digital so I have it on my iPhone and iPad).
  #56   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-14, 14:56
Craft Ninja!

Plan: Dr. Atkins/Dr. Westman
Stats: 204/194/169 Female 5'6" inches
BF:high wght over 204
Progress: 29%

Gotta love instant book downloads!
Hi everybody!
  #57   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-14, 15:21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glidergirl
Gotta love instant book downloads!
Hi everybody!
Hi glidergirl! Sure makes it easy to get on the road immediately.
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-14, 15:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/195/188 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

Question about KetoClarity--

some books seem more useful if they're real books vs downloads.. I like to refer back to certain sections or diagrams at times. If anyone has the book would you recommend that over a download?
  #59   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-14, 15:37
Registered Member

Not necessarily. I find that the downloads have the same charts, diagrams, etc. Also, I really like being able to do a quick search to find a concept, word, or page. I can do that easily with my Kindle or iPhone app. I have the digital version of KetoClarity and am happy with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC FP

some books seem more useful if they're real books vs downloads.. I like to refer back to certain sections or diagrams at times. If anyone has the book would you recommend that over a download?
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-14, 21:49

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 136/118/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC FP

With books like Keto Clarity, that include recipes, I like to have the real thing. I've tried digital cookbooks and they just drive me crazy.