Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-03, 22:34

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 183/145.0/135 Female 5'6
BF:23
Progress: 79%
Red face Is There Such a Thing As "THE GOLDEN SHOT?" and Did We Miss It?

About 3 years ago, I was introduced to the Atkins way of eating and lost 30lbs in two months. Talk about elation. I bought beautiful clothes, went out all the time, had dates galore; I was on top of the world and didn't even exercise until the third month.

I tried ignoring the "warnings" of my nutritionist and friends of the "dangers" of lowcarbing and I didn't have a support system like I do now and you know the story. I began to introduce large amounts of carbs back into my body and even though it took a year and a half to come back, it came back.

I tried coming back to Atkins in July '03, but it was not working or it started to work, but stopped and then the most surprising and most difficult to accept occurred...I WAS GAINING WEIGHT. I panicked and called my doctor and had blood tests done and my thyroid checked because I thought something was seriously wrong with me. My tests are all normal. I missed my shot and it totally gets me down everytime I think about it and that's why I decided to try and find out if there are more people who this has happened to. Since last Tuesday, I'm experimenting with the Zone. (geez, a ton of vegetables...sigh).

I would love to hear from you if you've experienced this phenomenom, decided to stay and tweaked it (lowcarb) to make it work for you and now you're a success story or a success story in progress.

Let's hear your story.

Last edited by Linda Love : Sun, Dec-07-03 at 22:38.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 14:39

Plan: Vegetarian - my own
Stats: 155/145/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Well my story isnt exactly like yours, i was a yo yo dieter for a long time and every time i gained weight back it became harder to lose it again, plus i would always gain a pound or 2 extra than what i had before. It was very depressing. I got up to about 172 and i'm only 5'4". I got myself down to 155 by exercising and eating low fat / high carb, but after that the scale wouldn't budge! I never thought i could do low carb because I'm a vegetarian. But then I found this site and started it again. i'm now a little below 150 (I'm waiting til I hit 145 before I change my stats). Anyways I know that may not be the answer you were looking for, but maybe it's just harder since you are trying to lose weight that you gained after losing it (did that make sence?). I'm no doctor but I bet if you stick with it you'll start losing again. Good Luck!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 13:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/140/122 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy

Yours is my story! I am going through the same thing right now. Two years ago I tried low carbing for the first time. I lost 30 pounds and everything was great. I maintained it until I got pregnant. I was worried about doing LC while pregnant so on my doctors advice I gave it up while pregnant and nursing. I didn't have a problem with giving up my new life style since it was soooo easy to lose the weight the first time. I was actually looking forwawrd to taking off the post pregnancy weight. Now that I am LCing again I am shocked to see that the same pattern of eating that took off 30 pounds so easily not only isn't taking any weight off in 2 months but actually is making me gain weight!!!!

I was really dicouraged and started doing some research. Apparently this is quite common. What I've learned is that while Atkins may still be able to work for me it is alot harder this time around. What may have happened is (seasoned LCers please check me on this one)
on the first LC try the body is in hyperinsulinemia. reducing carbs puts you in ketosis easily, mobilizing your fats stores and you lose weight quickly. eventually your body adjusts and produces less insulin. Getting to ketosis is harder and weight loss tremendously more difficult.

All the solutions that I have found you probably have already seen too ie CAREFULLY watching your carbs, eliminating cheese nuts etc. While I am sorry that you are having such a hard time I am really glad that there are other people struggling in the same scenario since we can be a source of support to each other. I am going to try a meat fast this week to jump start the weight loss. PLease let me know what you are doing and how you progress.

Good luck!!!!!!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 14:40

Plan: shangri-la/lowcarb
Stats: 185/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%

I think we did. I haven't posted here for awhile but am still struggling with both my body and brain. Pat S.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 17:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Here's a thread that says you CAN do it a second time:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...hot#post1859728

And here's the original:
One Golden Shot