Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 08:25
Registered Member

Plan: Was Atkins, then BFL, now Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 144/111/112 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 103%
Default I've read CAD and CALP, Not Sure.......

what to do.

I've been following the Atkins plan since 7/9/02 and am doing well but am becoming more and more dissatisfied. I only have 5-10 lbs. left to reach goal and the loss which was consistently 1lb/wk after induction has slowed to 1/2 lb/wk. I'm getting frustrated.

I have read that many people are satisfied to eat higher carb veggies on this plan at their reward meal. But I must admit that isn't what I am missing. My daughter's birthday was last week. I prepared a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and did not cheat. Not even a lick from the bowl or my fingers. You would think I would be proud of that. But ever since then I have been feeling very angry that I didn't have any cake.

I am thinking of changing programs but am worried that if my weight loss has already slowed that if I add dessert a few days a week that it will stop or that I may even gain. A huge motivation to stick with Atkins without cheating was to protect my ketosis. But I also realize that I can't stay in ketosis for the rest of my life and will have to begin eating more normally at some point.

Am I understanding this correctly? A reward meal is a comp meal with a high carb added in equal proportion and eaten within 60 mins. This may seem very clear to you but it seems too simple and easy to be true. Oh pleeease say it's true! That I AM understanding this correctly.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 08:40
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 330/330/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hammj,

Just saw your note to me. This is what I've learned.

I started on CAD yesterday so I'm not sure if I'm the one you want to hear anything from yet since I don't have the days to back up the CAD program.

But I know what you're feeling. My brothers can eat anything in any amount and it would make me so mad. It wasn't fair! They could eat it and because I was on my 'diet' of the month I couldn't.

I guess the thing is that you have to take it on faith because every body is different. I was on Schwarzbein, which works great for some people. But not for me. I cheated because I wanted sweet things.

Shark01 (I don't think he'd mind if you checked out his journal) has traded off between LCing and CAD. He's had A LOT of success with it.

However, after reading both both CAD and CALP I decided to mix them together. No artificial sweeteners, eat complementary when hungry, and enjoy the reward meal totally!

Because, dang it! I wanted the 'eat what every you want, how much you want... so long as it's balanced' (I believe that to mean, eat some good stuff along with your carbs). Look at what Rachael Heller ate in her story at the beginning of the CAD book. That is what I wanted to follow. That to me is freedom.

I scored 53 out of 60 on the test, I ate basically a few carbs during the day. (Not really hungry) And I had a WONDERFUL reward meal. No guilt, but nutritious. I think people guilt themselves too much. I think your mind can stall you on losing weight just as much as what you eat can. Because if you tell yourself your starving... well... your body's going to take that serious.

If it sucks and I gain weight (I wouldn't cheat knowing what I can have for a reward) then I'll find something new. But so far, this is the best one yet and I plan to believe that it works until it proves me wrong.

Hope that helped.

Bry
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 08:41

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 305/221/180 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hey Hammj, it is funny you would bring up that question about eating high carb for one hour and it would be alright. Now here is another question???? Does that one hour have to be portioned controlled???? I was under the asumption that it could be anything you wanted any amount and this is what I have had such a hard time understanding. Hope we get some answers. Joan
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 08:48
Registered Member

BF:

I like the Heller's motto and I plan to stick to it for the reward meal.

'You may eat what you desire, in whatever quantity you wish, but only within one hour.'

She lost a lot of weight doing it. Why couldn't it work for the rest of us?

Sharky just told me that he eats ANYTHING, usually 1/2 protein, 1/2 carbs and it works great for him. Believe me, he's losing weight nicely.

My other two cents,

Bry
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 09:01
Registered Member

BF:

My understanding in CAD was that you could have what you want at your reward meal as long as the meal was balanced. At that point I didn't completely understand what they meant by balanced. But then I went on to read some of CALP and when they explained the reward meal as being divided into thirds (1/3 protein, 1/3 low carb veggies, 1/3 high carb of your choice, starting with a salad in CALP, no salad in CAD?), I took that as what they probably meant as balanced in the CAD book. Portions are supposed to be equal but average portions. If you want seconds on your high carb you must also eat an equal portion of the other two items as seconds. I suppose that prevents you from overloading on the high carb item.

I hope I'm getting this right.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 09:05
Registered Member

BF:

Bry, I was posting at the same time as you! I don't understand how it could work if it isn't balanced some way. Hey if I ate whatever I desired it would probably be a few slices of chocolate cake and a half bag of hershey's caramel treasures.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 09:53
Registered Member

BF:

You're right about balance. And I think the reason is that if you just eat straight carbs you are going to be hungry an hour later because it isn't substantial to hold you through for a while. Protein though is very filling. And Vegetables... I like them and I'll eat them, but I don't think it matters what kind you have that should count I LOVE winter squash. A lot on the carb list are very good for you. I think that's good enough.

And the salad. There was a salad at the reward meal in the CAD book. But only in, I think, plan D. If you're maintaining weight you don't need it. I'm assuming because it fills you up more.

Bry
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 21:36

Plan: The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program
Stats: 190/140/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default CALP

I think the CALP book clears up a lot of questions on what exactly is prefered in the Reward Meal. CAD gave you a lot more options to work with (plan A, B, C...ect)...... but as already stated by Hammj, 1/3 LC veggie, 1/3 protein, 1/3 high carb and a Salad is basically it. Keep your complimentary meals full of LC items and you are set to go.

Remember...... keep it under an hour!

Libby
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 10:30
Registered Member

Plan: Carbohydrate addicts diet
Stats: 217.2/179.7/172
BF:
Progress: 83%

Hi Yall,

Just to throw in my 2 cents worth...

I stick to 2 CM's per day and at my RM i do tend to go for it. I often have steak, veges and mash potato. OR Pasta with meat and veges. BUT usually i also have a chocolate...

AND Ive done that almost everyday for 3 months and lost over 30 pounds!!!

WHAT A MIRACLE!!

CAD ROCKS!!!!!!!!!:
NO HUNGER CRAVINGS, SIMPLE AND CAN STILL EAT WHAT I WANT!!!

I THINK DR HELLER SHOULD BE SAINTED!!!