Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Wed, Sep-16-09, 18:54

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

i drink 'shakes' every morning but the base is buttermilk and cottage cheese. i also recently added and egg yolk. and i include a t of fish oil...so that's the base and then i flavor.

so, i decided to try one of the shakes recommended in the 6 wk plan.
since i am not needing to lose but have developed an ugly menopot, i am allowed 1 scoop of portein powder. i added the egg and the other stuff, some cocoa and a dash of stevia.
i was hungry in about 1 1/2 hr.

another scoop of protein powder might have helped but...anyway, i wonder if mary dan had this or whether she just adjusted after a bit. she is not a large person so i'm thinking she'd be a one scooper.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Wed, Sep-16-09, 19:27

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%

Day 4---I feel the best yet. I wasn't starving all day, but I did need that 3rd shake between 4 & 5. I wonder if that will change. I thought the 3 shakes would be a lot and I would only need 2.

Merpig, maybe it would really help if you add more fat, either in the form of eggs or coconut oil. I haven't been shy with the fat, but trying not to use much cream.

I love the new protein powder I got today. I think it's Jay Robb? I love the smell and it doesn't have that protein powder taste that most shakes do!

Anyway, I feel great. Not vibrating like I was the first 2 days. Fairly energetic. Excited for my weigh-in tomorrow!
  #93   ^
Old Wed, Sep-16-09, 19:58

Plan: my own
Stats: 225/208/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 19%

Good that you're feeling better Sara!

Totally agree on the Jay Robb protein powder. Much less sweet. It's the Stevia.

We ran out, and I happened to be at Costco, so I found some EAS protein powder that looked to fit the bill. Whoaaa! My husband started saying "I'm hungry!" before he was even done with that shake. So so sweet. All that Splenda.

Ran out today and bought more of the Jay Robb protein powder.
  #94   ^
Old Wed, Sep-16-09, 20:09
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
I guess what had me confused was the earlier chapters talked so much about how great saturated fat was, and then the description of weeks 1 and 2 just jumps in without kind of describing it.

They're probably addressing this to people who are scared witless about it, not people who have been consuming it in mass quantities and are perfectly fine with it.

I think one of the things about this diet is that it is pretty low calorie the first two weeks and it is hard to do that with loads of fat.
  #95   ^
Old Wed, Sep-16-09, 20:12
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson
I read "6 week cure" over the weekend and am interested but not yet on board. I am right in the target range--menopausal with a slowly expanding waistline after years of successful lc--so this may be right for me. .

Yeah, you might as well wait for the early birds and see how they do. I'm just waiting to get weaned off coffee and for my period to get over. It's due tomorrow, but... you never know these days.

I'm down to about 3 cups and did fine with it today, until this evening, now I'm dragging around. We'll see how things go tomorrow with 2 cups.
  #96   ^
Old Wed, Sep-16-09, 21:01
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/209/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 35%

I agree with adding fat - add coconut oil, and use the eggs. The higher fat it is, the more it's going to stick with you. I was not hungry at all with 3 and 1 meal. Fat it up!
  #97   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-09, 05:55

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxSarah
I finally read ahead to weeks 3 and 4, and Eades repeatedly says that these weeks purposely have *more* fat and *more* calories, while keeping carbohydrate very restricted. So I went, "ohhhhhh". It's supposed to be that way - somehow I felt like he accidentally missed the fact it was so low fat.

Yeah, I was just reading that last night too! I'd also been thinking "where's the fat?" They never clearly explain that the first two weeks are much lower in fat - and yet they do talk about how fat is needed for the liver to purge its fat, so that was part of why I got confused I'm sure.

This is day 6 for me. Still sitting at 293 - the weight I've been stalled at for months. So essentially no weight or inches lost so far. And I'm still basically feeling starved all the time, despite being a 3-scooper.
  #98   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-09, 08:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I'm down to about 3 cups and did fine with it today, until this evening, now I'm dragging around. We'll see how things go tomorrow with 2 cups.

Hang in there Nancy! It could have other good benefits for you! Sorry you're so sleepy

When I phased out caffeine, I first gave up my afternoon diet drinks - which I suspected were giving me more of a jolt than the coffee. That was really hard - then I started phasing out the coffee in the morning.

I'm the same weight as yesterday - 220- same place I've stuck repeatedly at in the last couple months. But in the last couple months every time I got stuck, we'd just go out for dinner and drinks and then i didn't have to worry about 220 anymore because i'd be 223 (or more!). So sticking to the shakes should have a different effect.

Good luck today all!

Sarah
  #99   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-09, 09:59
Experimenter

BF:

Ok, I think I said I added 1/4 tsp of xantham gum in my shake, but I didn't measure. Today I did measure and I used that much and it was too much! So maybe 1/8th is better.

The shake is more like pudding this morning. It kind of glorbbled into my cup when I poured it.
  #100   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-09, 10:04
Experimenter

BF:

Some news from the Eades, they're going to setup a new blog just for the 6-week cure.

Quote:
6-Week Cure blog idea

Posted: 16 Sep 2009 03:05 PM PDT

I’m putting up another intermediary post just because I need to. I’m hard at work on veg vs meat part II, but I’ve had so many interruptions due to promotion of the new book that I’m having trouble being able to focus on the post at hand.

I’m getting a lot of comments on these last posts from people who have read our new book and have questions. I don’t want this blog to transmogrify into the blog for the 6-Week Cure, so after much consultation with the bride, we’ve decided to start another blog for the 6-Week Cure that we’ll both moderate. Problem is, we’re still in the throes of getting the current blog and website as it should be, so it may be a day or two before we get the thing up. On the 6-Week Cure site we will post the schedules for any media appearances and book signings we will be forced to do, so anyone interested can keep up there. We will also answer the questions that come in and use the questions to develop an FAQ. And we will use the blog to disseminate any messages or info we need to get out that is specific to readers of the new book.

Speaking of which…a journalist from First magazine is interested in talking to women who have done the 6-Week Cure, and who would be willing to give testimonials and allow their names and photos to be used in a magazine article. If you are interested, you can contact Lisa Maxbauer at lisamaxb (at) yahoo (dot) com. You can check out her Twitter site at twitter.com/FIRSTmagLISA as well.

I’ll have the meat-eater post up as soon as I’ve got a little consolidated time to finish it.

And the post immediately after the meat-eater post will be the post on our change-the-world project MD and I have been working on for a year and a half.

Feel free to comment on this post about what you would like to see on the 6-Week Cure blog. Thanks.
  #101   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-09, 10:11
Experimenter

BF:

Question: How much leucine are you supposed to take? Is it 2,500 3x a day? I'm putting in my order for supplies.
  #102   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-09, 10:17

BF:

Quote:
Question: How much leucine are you supposed to take? Is it 2,500 3x a day? I'm putting in my order for supplies.

Yes, 2500 in each of the three shakes.
  #103   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-09, 10:18

BF:

Quote:
The shake is more like pudding this morning. It kind of glorbbled into my cup when I poured it.

glorbbled

I like that. Have to try this xanthum gum, dh has been asking why the shakes are so runny.

Tried some a new flavor yesterday - went back to the book for recipes. The bananas foster was yummmm

We have the following habit now:
- coffee mocha type shake at breakfast time (decaf coffee instead of the water, plus chocolate protein powder, plus some sugar free kahlua flavoring + the usuals (little enova, heavy cream, ice) + today I added a little unsweetened cocoa - ohhh, it was wonderful and not sweet - got a thumbs up from dh while he drank all his )
- some sort of shake for lunch - still working this out on favorite flavors
- dinner - mostly meat
- watching tv snack shake - orange creamsicle (where you replace water with orange diet rite, and use vanilla protein powder)

Have any of you got a habit? Or favorite flavors? The mocha just feels right for breakfast. And so far the orange creamsicle and the bananas foster are the biggest winners. Biggest loser was putting white grape soda with strawberry protein powder.

Sarah
  #104   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-09, 10:30

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxSarah
Have any of you got a habit? Or favorite flavors? The mocha just feels right for breakfast. And so far the orange creamsicle and the bananas foster are the biggest winners. Biggest loser was putting white grape soda with strawberry protein powder.

I'm such a huge chocoholic that I rarely deviate from chocolate of some sort. I've tried different variations of it - putting in DaVinci B52 syrup, putting in some almond extract, putting in some black cherry diet soda for the "Black Forest Cake" recipe. They are all good. Only other variations I've tried have been the cinnamon/amond shake using vanilla protein powder, DaVinci cinnamon syrup and almond extract, and that was good too. I also liked the lemon/lime I tried, adding some key lime juice and pure lemon extract. Oh I did do a mocha once once using decaf coffee instead of water - also good.

I wanted to try to orange creamsicle but so far have not found orange soda made with splenda. I do have some orange extract, maybe I'll try adding that to a vanilla shake. I have some DaVinci Eggnog syrup and keep meaning to use that for a shake, but have not actually tried it yet - maybe this weekend. Maybe I will go to netrition.com and check out what DaVinci flavors I might want to try.

I used to be able to find the SF DaVinci in 375ml bottles which I loved as you could have quite a variety of them. The darn 750ml bottles are so big it can take years to use one up if you are trying out a variety of them. I mean there are at least a dozen flavors I'd like to try. But even if you made 3 shakes every day with a tablespoon of syrup in each one it would take a *long* time to use up a dozen 750ml bottles!
  #105   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-09, 10:37
Experimenter

BF:

I started a thread on shake flavors so we can exchange ideas.