Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-28-12, 08:43

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Fats with proteins or carbs? (getting different answers)

There is some confusion on this. I guess some different plans call for fats with the carbs/starches, and some call for fats with proteins while keeping fats low when eating carbs/starches. I've also seen some say it's okay to eats fats with either.

What do you all do with fats? Have you ever had problems when having fats with one or the other group?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-28-12, 09:08
Real food!

Plan: Lower Carb/IF
Stats: 238/155/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Since fat makes up about 65% of my daily Caloric intake, I eat fats with both proteins and carbs. Fats are naturally packaged with most protein foods, so I don't try to break them apart from one another. Some carb foods have fat and some don't, but to slow down the digestion of carbs, fats are good.

I think the issue is doing a lot fat and carbs together. Since I eat low carb, there's no need to be super concerned about fat restriction. If I ate a bunch of carbs, I wouldn't need as much energy from fat, and fat metabolism would be hampered by the immediate need to metabolize all those carbs. When eating low carb, though, you need to get your food energy from somewhere. Fat fits the bill.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-12, 00:08

Plan: Suzanne Somers; LC
Stats: 182.5/158/105 Female 5'
BF:Melting!
Progress: 32%

It depends on your plan and how your body reacts. I Somersize and on that plan we don't mix carbs with fats. Carbs go with nonfat foods and veggies. Proteins go with fat foods and veggies. I found that my body is very carb sensitive and I have had a lot of digestive issues resolved by following this WOE. I love it and my body loves it. Pre diet I was getting to the point where if I had carbs I would instantly hot flash. That problem has completely disappeared on the plan. This alone makes it worth it for me!
Kat
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-02-12, 03:28

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I also try to avoid fats with carbs as your body will happily burn the carbs for energy while storing the fats on you! If I have fats I combine them with proteins although to be honest I try to avoid too much fat as it is so calorie dense.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-02-12, 08:04
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

added fat can blunt the insulin response to the carbs, which is good - I never eat carbs without fat, but I eat no more than about 70g carbs a day. The more carbs being eaten, the less likely any fat will blunt the insulin enough, meaning you have high carb, high calorie and enough insulin released to promote fat storage.

Lee
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-02-12, 08:18

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

My goal is to stay in nutritional ketosis. Once you're fully keto-adapted, the body prefers to burn fat. And as leemack notes, eating fat (or protein) with carbs keeps my blood sugar and/or insulin from spiking in response to those carbs.

Not sure if it is different if you are not maintaining nutritional ketosis.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-28-13, 12:00

Plan: paleo/optimal diet
Stats: 235/195/185 Male 5feet 11inches
BF:12%
Progress: 80%

I usually have fats with both. I think the trick is to regulate carbs AND protein intake.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-03-14, 19:08

Plan: Healing foods diet
Stats: 198/138/130 Female 165 cm
BF:198/138/130
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAwoman75
There is some confusion on this. I guess some different plans call for fats with the carbs/starches, and some call for fats with proteins while keeping fats low when eating carbs/starches. I've also seen some say it's okay to eats fats with either.

What do you all do with fats? Have you ever had problems when having fats with one or the other group?

I have one simple rule in my eating lifestyle. I have removed the word "diet" from my vocabulary.

Every meal I eat, let me repeat every meal, has 3 components
1. Low GI carb (under 25 g)
2. Protein
3. Small amount of good fat (my personal choices, 4/5 almonds or olives or 1/4 avocado).

This allows increase my metabolism, I don't get hungry since I eat often. Promotes belly fat loss. I don't count calories.

I live by this one rule, my only rule.

Combine that with going to gym every morning to make sure I get my blood sugars under control for the day... I'm gifted with a pretty nice body as a side effect.