Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Sep-20-17, 15:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 327.0/324.8/120 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin120
Was it next day "gain?" Wings are loaded with sodium, so it might have just been bloat. I thought I'd ask, because wings are delicious and I would hate for you to restrict them, if you don't need to.

I am not a fancy shmancy cook.. I just baked it with salt and pepper... same with steak...I always wondered if its because it's basically a piece of skin LOLOL!!!! I should say it's the whole wing.. I don't like those party wings...
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Sep-20-17, 15:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflammabl
That's kind of the problems with stalls and ratcheting up the carb ladder, etc. If you gain weight, you start questioning everything and you might be right about at least one thing you're questioning or maybe not.

In the end I think it's more about what helps peace of mind.

I totally agree... with me though if I show a gain.. eating the proper food on any diet plan....that really makes me angry.....I know my head says it could be a ton of things...or it could be temporary.. but I don't want to see it...it lessens my motivation.. I swear...
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Sep-20-17, 18:24

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.8/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

For sure carbs generate water retention. Depends on the carbs, too, as some cause more, some cause less. The human body is 60+% water, and water levels change. When we weren't weighing ourselves all the time, these same water fluctuations occurred without us knowing about it. Certainly water is a different sort of weight from fat and other things, but it still affects what we see on the scales. I've tried endlessly to think about weight gain (from water) rationally and calmly, yet it always makes it mad, too. Yet I know what causes it. Sometimes nothing we can't identify a single thing to cause it, either, it just happens. The important thing is what is happening to the FAT we want to get rid of. Look at weight trends over a bit of time.

BTW, if I weigh 145 on Monday and 146 on Tuesday and yet nothing I ate would account for a one pound weight gain...I sure didn't eat 3500 or more excess calories so therefore I did NOT gain more fat. So it's just water fluctuation, and what I also know is that I will soon drop that pound again and more.

As someone said, weight goes up, weight goes down. I'll add that every time my weight shifts a bit, it doesn't always go down, no matter how consistent, careful, low carb I eat. Heck, I can go UP after fasting 24 hours!

The body is largely water, and water levels adjust all the time. That's a fact.

If you want to have "fun" with it, weigh yourself several times in one day and watch the changes! Once I was 2 lbs heavier at night than I was in the morning, yet the next day I was back down a bit more than I was the previous morning. Go figure!
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Sep-26-17, 11:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin120
Was it next day "gain?" Wings are loaded with sodium, so it might have just been bloat. I thought I'd ask, because wings are delicious and I would hate for you to restrict them, if you don't need to.

I usually just make it with a touch of seasoning salt...in fact I decided to make it tonight!!!!! I like that Chef Morito for Beef Carne Asada on my chicken wings....weird I know...
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Sep-26-17, 11:31

BF:

CMCM....I couldn't have said that better myself.. in fact today I woke up 3 pounds heavier for no reason....but I am trying to give this a chance....Funny thing I am scale addicted not only do I weigh every single day.. I weigh all day and all night...you would think at my weight I don't but I do...and your right it fluctuates all day..what I find interesting is that I can go to sleep 5 pounds up from the morning and wake up 6 pound lighter or only lose 2 of those 5 pounds.. knowing I have been spot on with the plan...
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Sep-26-17, 22:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny59
CMCM....I couldn't have said that better myself.. in fact today I woke up 3 pounds heavier for no reason....but I am trying to give this a chance....Funny thing I am scale addicted not only do I weigh every single day.. I weigh all day and all night...you would think at my weight I don't but I do...and your right it fluctuates all day..what I find interesting is that I can go to sleep 5 pounds up from the morning and wake up 6 pound lighter or only lose 2 of those 5 pounds.. knowing I have been spot on with the plan...

I guess I'm scale addicted too, BUT....I have learned the hard way, over and over, that if I DON'T weigh myself pretty much daily, things tend to get out of hand more easily. I need the accountability of the scales, and what I see on the scales each morning helps me eat better that day. Some people say to just weigh once a week, but that might mean on that one weekly day I choose to weigh myself, that might be a crazy, senseless "up" day, and that could be even more depressing because I would have missed the "down" days. So I prefer to watch things on a daily basis. I write down my weight each day, so over time I see the crazy fluctuations. I'm ALMOST but not quite immune to them.

Also, as I've read so many times, the scales is only ONE of several measurements needed to assess your physical state!
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Sep-27-17, 14:13

BF:

I have a friend who weighs maybe once every 2 months.. and that is good for her.. I need the everyday routine...I may weigh too much but that's what I need.. I don't think there is a One Size Fits all....I do agree that the scale is not the only way to check for weight loss etc... but there is the clothes...and for me the fact that I can now comfortably wear my seatbelt....but I must confess for me there is something very exciting and motivating to see the weight loss going down on the scale...
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Sep-28-17, 14:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny59
I have a friend who weighs maybe once every 2 months.. and that is good for her.. I need the everyday routine...I may weigh too much but that's what I need.. I don't think there is a One Size Fits all....I do agree that the scale is not the only way to check for weight loss etc... but there is the clothes...and for me the fact that I can now comfortably wear my seatbelt....but I must confess for me there is something very exciting and motivating to see the weight loss going down on the scale...

I agree! I always love to see the the number go down, that momentary little twinge of victory, and I always feel a bit bummed out when it goes up even a little. I rationally know what goes on with the scales, but it still has that effect on me. Meanwhile, if I'm up I'll eat more carefully that day, and I've seen too many times to count what happens when I don't get on the scales for a long time. Last summer I abandoned the scales from the beginning of June to the end of August. When I finally forced myself to face the music and check my weight (and the summer's damage) on Aug. 28 I was up 11 pounds. So now I step on the little beast every single morning for a reality check because I don't want a repeat of my little summer surprise.